I totally forgot about the game today | Syracusefan.com

I totally forgot about the game today

NYCSUGrad

All Conference
Yesterday a friend was found dead in her apartment. It was a total surprise especially since she was just 44, although it was likely due to a reoccurrence of a brain aneurysm she had about 10 years ago. So I've been a bit distracted today and forgot about the game. I'm glad to see the score although after reading SWC's posts apparently there are still concerns even against a cupcake.

The reason I'm posting, however, is to tell you that although I have only met a few of you I do consider you friends, and friends need to be cherished because they can leave us so abruptly. So thank you and may whichever holidays you celebrate be joyful. And the same for our guys in Orange.

Sorry for your loss...tough to lose someone unexpectedly at a young age, even tougher at this time of year.

Oh, that's very sad. I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your friend's family.

What a shock! I am so sorry. She was much too young. I lost a friend at 41 and it still haunts me.

I forgot to record the game. First time ever. Anyway, you were preoccupied with something more important. I hope you are able to give solace to the family.

Quick deaths are a blessing for the deceased, not so for those around them.

Dying at 44 is a tragedy, however and I'm sorry to hear that it happened.

Sorry to read that. Been a tough week for us here as well. A friend's 23-year old daughter was killed in a snowboarding accident out west last week. Awful when these things happen so close to the holidays.

So sorry to hear about this, and of course it is so much more important than SU basketball. And I also consider so many on here to be friends. I look forward to our game day chat rooms. Happy holidays to you also!!!

Sorry to read that. Been a tough week for us here as well. A friend's 23-year old daughter was killed in a snowboarding accident out west last week. Awful when these things happen so close to the holidays.
Oh that is just heartbreaking. My condolences to you, your family and of course hers.

Yowza. Sorry to hear about that, CuseFaninVT. I can't imagine anything worse than outliving your children.

Deepest condolences to you, your friend, and his family for their loss.

What a shock! I am so sorry. She was much too young. I lost a friend at 41 and it still haunts me.

I forgot to record the game. First time ever. Anyway, you were preoccupied with something more important. I hope you are able to give solace to the family.
I never actually met her parents despite knowing her for 15+ years. I wrote to them on Facebook and will send a card since I am too ill to travel a couple of hours by bus to Connecticut for the funeral. Also contribute what I can to the animal shelter in her honor.

Quick deaths are a blessing for the deceased, not so for those around them.

Dying at 44 is a tragedy, however and I'm sorry to hear that it happened.
That first sentence contains the kind of wisdom I expect from you SWC. Thanks

And actually it makes me recall my dad's death at 52. He was playing bridge with a neighbor at a community center when he suddenly slapped his cards down. Our friend thought he was annoyed at what he had bid. But then my father slumped over, Paramedics came but couldn't revive him. Of course my mom and I were upset, but he had had two or three previous heart attacks and other chronic ailments so it wasn't a surprise. Our friend who saw it, however, was absolutely traumatized. We lost touch with him after his wife died, he came out of the closet and moved. I think he was still shook up when we would mention my dad prior to losing touch with him.

Last edited:

And actually it makes me recall my dad's death at 52. He was playing bridge with a neighbor at a community center when he suddenly slapped his cards down. Our friend thought he was annoyed at what he had bid. But then my father slumped over, Paramedics came but couldn't revive him. Of course my mom and I were upset, but he had had two or three previous heart attacks and other chronic ailments so it wasn't a surprise. Our friend who saw it, however, was absolutely traumatized. We lost touch with him after his wife died, he came out of the closet and moved. I think he was still shook up when we would mention my dad prior to losing touch with him.
Wow, playing bridge! My dad might have liked that. He died in his bed at age 51 of a heart attack. The night before he had been reading the new book about near death experiences, Life After Life. That gave us a great deal of comfort (because apparently it is great on the Other Side!).

I am sorry to hear you are sick. Hope you are better soon.

My mother was a top bridge player. At 86 she still made the Nationals in all 3 Divisions. The story about your dad at the bridge table, I totally get where everyone thought he was just disturbed by the bidding. I can just picture that whole scenario. I used to drive my mom to bridge and she used a walker to walk her last year. All of the other players used to practically knock her down at the end of each day to get to the front to see how many points they won. The bridge group can sometimes have tunnel vision on bridge days. I have to say since my mom passed away, I think when I drive by the place where she went to play bridge is still the toughest for me as she loved playing so much.

Wow, playing bridge! My dad might have liked that. He died in his bed at age 51 of a heart attack. The night before he had been reading the new book about near death experiences, Life After Life. That gave us a great deal of comfort (because apparently it is great on the Other Side!).

I am sorry to hear you are sick. Hope you are better soon.
Thanks bbeadle

My mother was a top bridge player. At 86 she still made the Nationals in all 3 Divisions. The story about your dad at the bridge table, I totally get where everyone thought he was just disturbed by the bidding. I can just picture that whole scenario. I used to drive my mom to bridge and she used a walker to walk her last year. All of the other players used to practically knock her down at the end of each day to get to the front to see how many points they won. The bridge group can sometimes have tunnel vision on bridge days. I have to say since my mom passed away, I think when I drive by the place where she went to play bridge is still the toughest for me as she loved playing so much.
My that is impressive llandz At 86 to make ALL the Nationals. Quite a feat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom