" I will just have to come back next year stronger " | Syracusefan.com

" I will just have to come back next year stronger "

That wouldn't be feasible, given his injury.

But that's a good thing to hear from McCullough--he needs to use the year constructively to reshape his body. Hope he puts in the work, because that's his main limitation.

That wouldn't be feasible, given his injury.

But that's a good thing to hear from McCullough--he needs to use the year constructively to reshape his body. Hope he puts in the work, because that's his main limitation.
Funny. I read in another thread that this injury doesn't make a bit of difference in regard to if he enters the draft or where he'll be drafted. :rolleyes:

Wow good to hear. Tearing an ACL can be painful psychologically as well as physical . My daughter tore hers 6 bb games into her senior year. Knowing she probably wouldn't be playing the game in college after playing since she was in the fifth grade was very depressing. Cmac' s attitude is good to hear. He will have a tough 8 to 10 months but hopefully he grows physically as well as maturing as a player.

ACL rehabs are a real pain in the @ss. It just saps all the juice out of your entire leg, and the 8 months of rehab are intense. I still remember that my calf was so weak after the surgery that i was unable to push a gas pedal down for over 6 weeks. The mental part of it is very tough indeed. For a while, you always fear that any type of quick movement will cause damage again. Psychologically its tough.

and im just an average Joe. When there are millions on the line, its gotta be even tougher for Chris. He was a few months away from being a millionaire.

Will he be healthy enough to play in 10 months? Does he comeback and redshirt? Does he want to be a student and go to class for another year or two? I think he sits out next season and comes back for his third year with the program.

'come back next year,' can easily be read as simply returning to basketball . . . either at the collegiate level, or perhaps as a pro. Not being cynical, just 35 years of business and negotiating experience have taught me to parse words carefully and fully because they are notoriously vague and can easily, and do often, mean different things to different parties. Consider in the case of an injury like this it may very well be MORE likely that he turns pro because if he reinjures it next year at the college level he will then be considered injury prone or "damaged goods," and his value permanently impaired . . . where as now he will probably be given the benefit of the doubt and still be considered a good prospect. If I was his adviser, and in light of the current developments, I would error on the side of going pro sooner rather than later provided his value has not already been significantly compromised- and if it has he might as well THEN come back and try and get his value back up. That is my take on his situation.

Last edited:

'come back next year,' can easily be read as simply returning to basketball . . . either at the collegiate level, or perhaps as a pro. Not being cynical, just 35 years of business and negotiating experience have taught me to parse words carefully and fully because they are notoriously vague and can easily, and do often, mean different things to different parties. Consider in the case of an injury like this it may very well be MORE likely that he turns pro because if he reinjures it next year at the college level he will then be considered injury prone or "damaged goods," and his value permanently impaired . . . where as now he will probably be given the benefit of the doubt and still be considered a good prospect. If I was his adviser, and in light of the current developments, I would error on the side of going pro sooner rather than later provided his value has not already been significantly compromised- and if it has he might as well come back and try and get his value back up. That is my take on his situation.
upload_2015-1-13_10-54-20.png

Nothing he says today (or yesterday) should be read as gospel for what he will do when it comes time to actually make the decision. I always get a laugh out of how we parse the comments of these kids and try to see a firm ultimate decision in them, when realistically even if Chris thinks he's made a firm - "won't change" decision of some sort today he will be getting information and inputs from lots of sources for the next 4 to 5 months at which point he will actually make the decision. The way the wind is blowing today may ultimately be consistent with the decision he makes at the deadline, but it isn't made today.

If he does something to forfeit his eligibility than you can take it as a final decision otherwise wait and see.

This was a quote from McC the other day after his injury. Is that him saying he isn't entering the draft?
Maybe on par with Carmelo saying "Don't worry about it" when asked if he was returning to SU right after the NC game. There is a long time between now and when he has to declare.

Funny. I read in another thread that this injury doesn't make a bit of difference in regard to if he enters the draft or where he'll be drafted. :rolleyes:
It really doesn't make a difference in terms of whether he chooses to enter...but man, does it make a difference in where he'd be drafted. He can obviously still choose to go pro and hope to sneak into the late first round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom