Taylor form has regressed
Mintz is avg at best, but so limited in distance

Starling at least if he gets shots it might go in but still ugly

Copeland shows some signs of form
Bell its either dead or widely off

Brown might be a shooter but who knows

Cuffe at least his shot looks like a shot

The Centers all look shocked when they get a ball and we have no post up game

Taylor has thrown so many bricks this year He could have built a condominium.

And Benny's trajectory is literally a straight line.

What is GMAC doing??
I am baffled

I just took my son to a lesson with a major league hitting coach today (my son is nothing special, the guy is local, kid loves it and it's a great deal).

It's all about posture, what are the angles your body is in, shoulders, forearms, spine, hand path. The kid can hit but it's about preparing for faster opponents, being simple quick repeatable while limiting the number of variables you need to adjust

Golf, the analysis is nuts. Tennis too, from what I'm told. Pitching, iPad apps telling you where your posture is wrong. Etc etc etc

None of this is happening here, there is no way these guys are all so bad at following instruction. The instruction must not be happening

Going back to swish and brooky's posts, none of our guys look like they have any awareness of how their postures, alignments, and angles differ from well known great shooters - one of whom is their coach

We make the assumption that because GMac was a shooter that he's responsible for teaching the team shooting but a) I don't think that's true and b) we don't seem to, uh, teach shooting.

We make the assumption that because GMac was a shooter that he's responsible for teaching the team shooting but a) I don't think that's true and b) we don't seem to, uh, teach shooting.
If gmac doesnt teach shooting, fire everyone

Ted Williams couldn’t manage at all.

Taylor has thrown so many bricks this year He could have built a condominium.

And Benny's trajectory is literally a straight line.

What is GMAC doing??
Someone mentioned how unique JT's bricks are in the BC thread...
First couple minutes in this game (which is all I watched) is an open 12ft clank of the back iron that people heard from Raleigh. Amazing.

Watching Kentucky and Texas AM play with shooters all over the floor. Several who can get their own and come off screens ready to fire. We have no one who can hit a three dribbling off a screen. What the hell has this staff been doing on the recruiting trail the past few years. It’s almost coaching malpractice.

Just took a look out of curiosity: we are 246 out of 351 in three point percentage.
Frustrated Clint Eastwood GIF

But, but, we finally have athletes this year! That was what was said all summer along with “best back court in ACC”

Just took a look out of curiosity: we are 246 out of 351 in three point percentage.
Fortunately they don’t take too many, but that is also concerning really if they can’t get open enough looks to pull the trigger.

Just ugly basketball if they can’t beat a team into giving up enough fast breaks off steals and turnovers.

Bennie has no idea how to shoot
Taylor form has regressed
Mintz is avg at best, but so limited in distance

Starling at least if he gets shots it might go in but still ugly

Copeland shows some signs of form
Bell its either dead or widely off

Brown might be a shooter but who knows

Cuffe at least his shot looks like a shot

The Centers all look shocked when they get a ball and we have no post up game
Which all may (partially) help explain why Judah keeps taking it to the hoop and trying to get fouled instead of passing.
His game often works to get points on the board.
What if he passed more?
Does anyone really believe more outside shots from other guys would be more effective with this team?

I’m not a big believer you can teach shooting. You can either shoot or you can’t. A gazillion coaches tried to help Shaq shoot free throws over the years and they all failed. Some guys will never be good shooters.

I’m not a big believer you can teach shooting. You can either shoot or you can’t. A gazillion coaches tried to help Shaq shoot free throws over the years and they all failed. Some guys will never be good shooters.
teaching a guy whose real range was 2-3 ft to shoot FTs is different than working with kids who only want to shoot 3s anyway.

teaching a guy whose real range was 2-3 ft to shoot FTs is different than working with kids who only want to shoot 3s anyway.
It’s all hand eye coordination. You’re born with it or you aren’t.

It’s all hand eye coordination. You’re born with it or you aren’t.
No way,, I know of tons of kids who couldn't shoot who became decent shooters.

But we have a whole team of guys with no form and are bad shooters. we have guys with a bad release, we have guys who jump too much, we have guys who shoot too flat, we have guys who shoot outside their comfort range we have guys who dont shoot when they have good balance. We run the threw all the cliches of what makes a bad shooter.

No way,, I know of tons of kids who couldn't shoot who became decent shooters.

But we have a whole team of guys with no form and are bad shooters. we have guys with a bad release, we have guys who jump too much, we have guys who shoot too flat, we have guys who shoot outside their comfort range we have guys who dont shoot when they have good balance. We run the threw all the cliches of what makes a bad shooter.
They had good hand eye coordination. These guys have been playing since they were kids. If they aren’t good shooters now they will never be. Bells probably our only hope. I had hope for Taylor and Benny, but they’ve gone backwards. Maybe Cuffe will come around. We need to recruit guys who can shoot. Buddy and Joe were good shooters before they came here. So was Andy Rautins.

But, but, we finally have athletes this year! That was what was said all summer along with “best back court in ACC”
we've been going through cycles of this for a while now

one team doesnt have shooting - so they get shooters

but then the shooters arent athletic enough for defense

so they recurit to the zone...but then the good zone defenders cant play offense

then they get centers that are only there for defense and they try to get some scoring from inside but those guys cant rebound etc

at the end of the day one dimensional players are the issue

need well rounded basketball players

look at malik - hes probably the lowest rated recruit on the roster but the most well-rounded player on the team ...and therefore most effective. but even he has holes in his game and isnt really a center etc

getting athletes was 100% necessary and vital...just needed to balance it out with some skill guys that they didnt get, imo.

i thought the roster they grabbed in the portal would get it done...but I did want more scoring at center...and different forwards brought in...

big offseason coming up...(as usual)

We have tall, skinny kids who were “good for the zone”. That’s what Red was left with. Yes he was a part of that recruiting S@&t $how but now that JAB isn’t here he needs to make a major change in who is targeted. On a side note, most of the kids recruited the last 5-7 yrs weren’t even good for the zone. Not sure what happened but recruiting has been pretty bad the last 5-7 yrs.

We DO finally have athletes.

They’re just not especially good basketball players.

And there is a real problem with roster composition.
I’d believe this if every P5 team we play has more athletic players than us.

I would also add that just because GMac was a great shooter, even if he was a shooting coach it's faulty to just assume he would/should be a good shooting coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom