I will say it again Worst shooting team in the entire country | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I will say it again Worst shooting team in the entire country

We have tall, skinny kids who were “good for the zone”. That’s what Red was left with. Yes he was a part of that recruiting S@&t $how but now that JAB isn’t here he needs to make a major change in who is targeted. On a side note, most of the kids recruited the last 5-7 yrs weren’t even good for the zone. Not sure what happened but recruiting has been pretty bad the last 5-7 yrs.

Hop left about 6 years ago?

No way,, I know of tons of kids who couldn't shoot who became decent shooters.

But we have a whole team of guys with no form and are bad shooters. we have guys with a bad release, we have guys who jump too much, we have guys who shoot too flat, we have guys who shoot outside their comfort range we have guys who dont shoot when they have good balance. We run the threw all the cliches of what makes a bad shooter.
Jason kidd , kawhi Leonard, there is million guys

I’d believe this if every P5 team we play has more athletic players than us.
I don’t believe that.

We’re back to parity on that level.

But when you have guys who can’t shoot, can’t dribble, can’t or won’t make swiitches on D…..these are basketball deficiencies, not athletic ones.

No way,, I know of tons of kids who couldn't shoot who became decent shooters.

But we have a whole team of guys with no form and are bad shooters. we have guys with a bad release, we have guys who jump too much, we have guys who shoot too flat, we have guys who shoot outside their comfort range we have guys who dont shoot when they have good balance. We run the threw all the cliches of what makes a bad shooter.
Read about Jerry Wesr, absolute proof that a person can become a great shooter. Great enough to be the logo anyway.

Someone mentioned how unique JT's bricks are in the BC thread...
First couple minutes in this game (which is all I watched) is an open 12ft clank of the back iron that people heard from Raleigh. Amazing.
I’m not a shooting expert by any means, but JT’s follow through seems a mess. He has such a crazy arc to shot… opposite of the flat Benny shot. To me that means he’s not following through as the wrist snap is what flattens the arc I think.

Anyways, like I said I have no clue about shooting besides the fact I taught myself how to shoot by watching MJ but JTs arc seems way off.

we've been going through cycles of this for a while now

one team doesnt have shooting - so they get shooters

but then the shooters arent athletic enough for defense

so they recurit to the zone...but then the good zone defenders cant play offense

then they get centers that are only there for defense and they try to get some scoring from inside but those guys cant rebound etc

at the end of the day one dimensional players are the issue

need well rounded basketball players

look at malik - hes probably the lowest rated recruit on the roster but the most well-rounded player on the team ...and therefore most effective. but even he has holes in his game and isnt really a center etc

getting athletes was 100% necessary and vital...just needed to balance it out with some skill guys that they didnt get, imo.

i thought the roster they grabbed in the portal would get it done...but I did want more scoring at center...and different forwards brought in...

big offseason coming up...(as usual)
Good post

I’m not a shooting expert by any means, but JT’s follow through seems a mess. He has such a crazy arc to shot… opposite of the flat Benny shot. To me that means he’s not following through as the wrist snap is what flattens the arc I think.

Anyways, like I said I have no clue about shooting besides the fact I taught myself how to shoot by watching MJ but JTs arc seems way off.
High arc but also seems to have a hitch in his shot. I'm not one to kick someone when they're down, and I know he was considered a shooter coming in, but damn, I am not seeing it this season.

I’m not a big believer you can teach shooting. You can either shoot or you can’t. A gazillion coaches tried to help Shaq shoot free throws over the years and they all failed. Some guys will never be good shooters.
Truth. Spot on.

I’m not a big believer you can teach shooting. You can either shoot or you can’t. A gazillion coaches tried to help Shaq shoot free throws over the years and they all failed. Some guys will never be good shooters.
Shaq was also 7'. The mechanics are different.

No excuse for our 6' to 6'7 folks to have such horrible form.

But it's almost not about the form and more about the shots people are trying. We take the craziest, most death defying whirling dervish shots. Need to take simpler shots.

Wrist snap gives you back spin which helps w a friendlier bounce when the ball hits the rim.

Maybe also helps w arc, I don't know.

A high arc is fine, even encouraged. The higher the arc, the bigger the rim. Just hard to control the trajectory w a high arc.

We miss Fts because of mechanics beyond just the shooting.. We don't get set, we rush, we don't align properly. Thats all correctable as well. Given the amount of time they get to shoot no one should be under 75%. But you need to add in some of the penalty of shooting being tired.

Still, several of our Guards and Taylor/Bell are under 70%.. thats nuts.

And its not that they miss, Its that they miss badly which then explains the wild missed on normal shots.

Never miss a FT off line. We do all the time.

JJ’s shot off the dribble looks good. His three looks different.

Red might need to push Gerry out and get someone who can coach up the guards/shooters better.

I think after UNC we'll see him stick with whomever is hot on a given night.

We've shot fine in the games against peer teams. I don't really think any of the teams around us would have beaten Duke or UNC on the road the days we faced them or won in Maui.

Some guys will never be good shooters, but Shaq isn't a good example that proves guys can't learn to shoot. He was uniquely atrocious and knew he was going to physically dominate everyone. I don't think he cared that much if he ever became even a decent free throw shooter.

In college Rasheed Wallace was solely an inside player and was terrible from the free throw line. In the NBA he evolved into what was essentially a stretch 4 before that was much of a thing and had solid numbers from 3 and the free throw line.

Some guys will never be good shooters, but Shaq isn't a good example that proves guys can't learn to shoot. He was uniquely atrocious and knew he was going to physically dominate everyone. I don't think he cared that much if he ever became even a decent free throw shooter.

In college Rasheed Wallace was solely an inside player and was terrible from the free throw line. In the NBA he evolved into what was essentially a stretch 4 before that was much of a thing and had solid numbers from 3 and the free throw line.
Some guys always have it in them though. Wallace didn’t need to shoot outside for a long time because he didn’t need to for the longest time. Like Maliq. I think he eventually becomes good from deep based on his free throw percentage.

Giannis is another example of an elite player that never has been able to shoot from the outside. It just doesn‘t happen for some.

Some guys always have it in them though. Wallace didn’t need to shoot outside for a long time because he didn’t need to for the longest time. Like Maliq. I think he eventually becomes good from deep based on his free throw percentage.
Sure. It's just weird for people to say with certainty (not saying you specifically, but a lot of the comments in this thread) a bunch of sophomores can't learn to shoot. It seems that way in today's game because so few talented players stick around long enough for us to see it. Jeremy Grant falls into that category. Contrast that with John Wallace who became a really good outside shooter as a senior, so we got to see it.

Wrist snap gives you back spin which helps w a friendlier bounce when the ball hits the rim.

Maybe also helps w arc, I don't know.

A high arc is fine, even encouraged. The higher the arc, the bigger the rim. Just hard to control the trajectory w a high arc.

Interesting stuff on the elbow height relative to everything else! I hadn't heard that explained that way before. Most of the rest I learned back in 9th grade. I assume SU shooters work on this stuff all summer.

Interesting stuff on the elbow height relative to everything else! I hadn't heard that explained that way before. Most of the rest I learned back in 9th grade. I assume SU shooters work on this stuff all summer.
I assumed they traveled the country during the summer and enjoyed their NIL money because they sure as hell can’t do anything that remotely looks like basketball.

Taylor has thrown so many bricks this year He could have built a condominium.

And Benny's trajectory is literally a straight line.

What is GMAC doing??
shows them tape of 2003 title game and says "Do that"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom