If I'm Gross... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If I'm Gross...

N.Y. Orangeman said:
HCRE and Holtz turned down Gross; the committee wasn't behind either of those choices and Gross didn't have the full say (as evidenced by the committee being formed in the first place).

Gross is the only one that negotiated with either Edsall or Holtz. His meeting with Holtz was widely publicized and Holtz said thanks no thanks over a dinner. The search committee had nothing to do with either.

Gross is the only one that negotiated with either Edsall or Holtz. His meeting with Holtz was widely publicized and Holtz said thanks no thanks over a dinner. The search committee had nothing to do with either.

Bees, you seem to be close to the program. Is Gross the problem or is this just an institutional lack of interest in playing big boy college football at the BoT level? There is a major issue when your program hasn't sniffed receiving votes in an entire generation. That's Rutgers like ineptitude.

There is a major issue when your program hasn't sniffed receiving votes in an entire generation.
Well, actually (thanks to Gil Brandt) the team did receive votes in the Harris poll in 2012. Since the Harris poll was part of the BCS rankings, it was more important than the AP and coaches polls. Gil had SU at #21 in the December 2, 2012 poll.

Two different issues and i should have been clearer. The brand is damaged and football is damaged. They both operate together but can be discussed separately.

We are a laughing stock again in football. He's the reason for this losing. He's the AD, the buck stops with him. Hoops and Lax to some extent have run on their own success and coaching. The invitation to the ACC was essentially a default selection on who was left and our still decent brand (although decaying).

Not sure how anyone can realistically look at this guy and say "great job".

If I was a fan of field hockey and men's soccer I could.

elimunelson said:
Bees, you seem to be close to the program. Is Gross the problem or is this just an institutional lack of interest in playing big boy college football at the BoT level? There is a major issue when your program hasn't sniffed receiving votes in an entire generation. That's Rutgers like ineptitude.

My honest opinion is that it isn't any one thing. It's a multitude of things which would be a long list.

Right, but those were his choices. So, I don't get the whining over those choices since Edsall would have been a great hire and Holtz would have been considered a good hire at the time.

How could they have been choices if they eliminated themselves from consideration?

We would have had to go below/beyond Marrone to options D,E,F,G and H to have more "choices".

If I was a fan of field hockey and men's soccer I could.

Trust me I was in the athletic department and enjoy seeing their success. BUT having 100 other things going on in my life now, my interests in Syracuse are much more narrow now. I'm just being honest with myself with that assessment. I'm not lobbying to be the AD and I get he has to answer for the other sports (and a budget and boosters and the BoT and the Chancellor).

However, the entire engine runs on the success and health of football and men's basketball. If you are a complete failure in one of those for an entire generation, we need to question it and try and figure out why especially when our kissing cousin, BC, has been able to crack the secret to running a moderately successful football program over the same period (with the same impediments we have).

I'll be at Alumni Stadium on Saturday cheering the team on as fervent as I have since the first game I attended vs Oklahoma in 1994. However, I'm more concerned than ever before where this thing is going. No press conference by Shafer will change that.

Trust me I was in the athletic department and enjoy seeing their success. BUT having 100 other things going on in my life now, my interests in Syracuse are much more narrow now. I'm just being honest with myself with that assessment. I'm not lobbying to be the AD and I get he has to answer for the other sports (and a budget and boosters and the BoT and the Chancellor).

However, the entire engine runs on the success and health of football and men's basketball. If you are a complete failure in one of those for an entire generation, we need to question it and try and figure out why especially when our kissing cousin, BC, has been able to crack the secret to running a moderately successful football program over the same period (with the same impediments we have).

I'll be at Alumni Stadium on Saturday cheering the team on as fervent as I have since the first game I attended vs Oklahoma in 1994. However, I'm more concerned than ever before where this thing is going. No press conference by Shafer will change that.

Generation?

Unless the definition has changed the low end of a generation is 20 years.

In the last 20 seasons the team has gone to 10 bowls games and finished ranked 5 times.

Have the less 10 years been brutal, sure, but other than Robinson, not a complete failure by any stretch.

Generation?

Unless the definition has changed the low end of a generation is 20 years.

In the last 20 seasons the team has gone to 10 bowls games and finished ranked 5 times.

Have the less 10 years been brutal, sure, but other than Robinson, not a complete failure by any stretch.

Go, i'm going on the date when we were ranked last to today. Almost 13 years. That may not be a generation but kids were born and now almost in highschool.

There are some nice years in there where we were JUST over .500 in a completely crappy big east. If we use history as our guide we should just give Pasqualoni two more bowl appearances for 93 and 94. Those teams were better than any Marrone outfit (with maybe the exception of Nassib's last year).

I just want to get receiving votes again. My expectations are that of an abused sports fan with regards to SU Football. We are irrelevant and no one can convince me otherwise. I mean we're not even mentioned EVER on ESPN Gameday unless we're the punching bag of FSU.

BC's also had some crappy basketball during that span, even though their football may be back on track.

If it were me, I'd fire Shafer after Saturday. But, I just don't think that will happen. So, if I'm Gross, what do I do? (And, I don't believe the stuff about Gross being replaced - he's been far too successful given his body of work to let the Fball situation lead to his demise.) I would consult with successful coaches, review the season and get their opinions as to what should be done. Then, I would micromanage Shafer to death. I would be in his shirt second-guessing every decision he makes, questioning every step he takes. And, this would be to Shafer's long-term benefit as he really doesn't know what he is doing as an HC at this stage of his career.

If Gross is you, he must be very confused. :cool:

This really and truly has all to do with a QB this year because we could of easily won about 7 or 8 games without any problem with our defense and offense. So that's bullshit that people are blaming all these other things. NO QB NO WINS! And frankly we had 5 different QB's this year none of whom were very good. Zach Allen is a moron for not following through on his commitment and being on the bench at TCU, he could of started here from day one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom