If I'm Gross... | Syracusefan.com

If I'm Gross...

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
If it were me, I'd fire Shafer after Saturday. But, I just don't think that will happen. So, if I'm Gross, what do I do? (And, I don't believe the stuff about Gross being replaced - he's been far too successful given his body of work to let the Fball situation lead to his demise.) I would consult with successful coaches, review the season and get their opinions as to what should be done. Then, I would micromanage Shafer to death. I would be in his shirt second-guessing every decision he makes, questioning every step he takes. And, this would be to Shafer's long-term benefit as he really doesn't know what he is doing as an HC at this stage of his career.

Good thing your not Gross. Gross has proven he knows nothing about football and doesn't know how to hire a good football coach. He picked Grob & Shafer but didn't want Marrone but was overruled by committee.

I think the best Q&A is - if I'm Syverud, I'd fire Gross after next Saturday...

Last edited:
Good thing your not Gross. Gross has proven he knows nothing about football and doesn't know how to hire a good football coach. He picked Grob & Shafer but didn't want Marrone but was overruled by committee.

How could we have performed a national search with 3-4 weeks to go before signing day?

He whiffed on Robinson, but it's ridiculous to put Shafer on him when the other option was Hackett. And the other two options over Marrone were Edsall and Holtz. While Holtz crashed and burned at USF, he was successful at ECU and I imagine the fan base would have been excited with the hire.

If you're Gross you'd fire the guy you hired just two years in? After you already have the worst hire in the history of the program on your resume?

Never happen.

How could we have performed a national search with 3-4 weeks to go before signing day?

He whiffed on Robinson, but it's ridiculous to put Shafer on him when the other option was Hackett. And the other two options over Marrone were Edsall and Holtz. While Holtz crashed and burned at USF, he was successful at ECU and I imagine the fan base would have been excited with the hire.

Both HCRE and Holtz turned SU down flat. Marrone was "Plan C".

This, sometimes the best thing for an organization is for leaders to leave every 5-10 years. They loose effectiveness after that. Their ideas become stale. I always believed that jake and buzz stayed 10 years too long.

Right, but those were his choices. So, I don't get the whining over those choices since Edsall would have been a great hire and Holtz would have been considered a good hire at the time.

Gross isn't going to be the person selecting the next FB coach at Syracuse.

I really hope you're right. He's the biggest issue with Syracuse football right now. He's damaged the brand more than he thinks he helps it with moronic signage and equally moronic Nike cowtowing with our uniforms.

Guy has destroyed Syracuse football and people are too numb to see it. They should throw a bundle of money at Brad Bates from BC if he doesn't take the Michigan job.

I really hope you're right. He's the biggest issue with Syracuse football right now. He's damaged the brand more than he thinks he helps it with moronic signage and equally moronic Nike cowtowing with our uniforms.

Guy has destroyed Syracuse football and people are too numb to see it. They should throw a bundle of money at Brad Bates from BC if he doesn't take the Michigan job.

The losing has destroyed Syracuse football.

How has "moronic signage" destroyed the football program? That makes absolutely no sense.

The losing has destroyed Syracuse football.

How has "moronic signage" destroyed the football program? That makes absolutely no sense.

Two different issues and i should have been clearer. The brand is damaged and football is damaged. They both operate together but can be discussed separately.

We are a laughing stock again in football. He's the reason for this losing. He's the AD, the buck stops with him. Hoops and Lax to some extent have run on their own success and coaching. The invitation to the ACC was essentially a default selection on who was left and our still decent brand (although decaying).

Not sure how anyone can realistically look at this guy and say "great job".

Two different issues and i should have been clearer. The brand is damaged and football is damaged. They both operate together but can be discussed separately.

We are a laughing stock again in football. He's the reason for this losing. He's the AD, the buck stops with him. Hoops and Lax to some extent have run on their own success and coaching. The invitation to the ACC was essentially a default selection on who was left and our still decent brand (although decaying).

As much as I hate what she did on the academic side and pretty much running much of the university into the ground, Nancy Cantor was instrumental in the ACC move.

The previous administration should get their equal share in the destruction of SU football. I mean, we weren't GRob bad, but due to lack of funding and commitment from the previous admin, Pasqualoni was out there recruiting the Jake Flaherty's, Ben Maljo's, Giruzzi, Eugene Newsome's, and Corey Chavers of the world to be the future OTs and LBs. (just a sample size).

elimunelson said:

Well, in light of the fact that SU never cared about any sport except football and men's basketball and lacrosse before Gross stepped on campus I'd say he's done a pretty great job. Every athlete at SU deserves the opportunity to succeed and before Gross only certain sports were provided that opportunity. The entire athletics department has never been stronger and that's thanks to him.

We aren't a laughing stock because of our uniforms or because of signs or marketing. We are a joke because we keep losing. I imagine Gross would be more than willing to spend whatever it took on a great coach but he has to hire on the cheap.

If you're Gross you'd fire the guy you hired just two years in? After you already have the worst hire in the history of the program on your resume?

Never happen.
the ubiquitous firing of a football coach should be nothing to be scared of. it should roll freely and easily off the tongue...ill have a bacon, egg & cheese on an everything bagel with hot sauce, Shafer your fired and a diet pepsi.

then by lunch you should have a list of names, put together by a consulting firm in advance...who will be interviewed.

gross can be a part of it, but the chancellor and the BOT should be in on this from the get go.

the gross problem is a conundrum for sure, letting this guy pick a 4th coach is just wrong on so many levels. im sure we can find an AD who can keep the Olympic sports charging up the rankings AND be able to pick a football coach.

problem is, even we insert gross' name above, id still bet SS gets next year.

Well, in light of the fact that SU never cared about any sport except football and men's basketball and lacrosse before Gross stepped on campus I'd say he's done a pretty great job. Every athlete at SU deserves the opportunity to succeed and before Gross only certain sports were provided that opportunity. The entire athletics department has never been stronger and that's thanks to him.

We aren't a laughing stock because of our uniforms or because of signs or marketing. We are a joke because we keep losing. I imagine Gross would be more than willing to spend whatever it took on a great coach but he has to hire on the cheap.

is it bad if I say, "could care less"? I was an SU grad and don't feel like I deserved any other opportunity than a chance to get a degree. I don't really care about the rest of the athletic dept. Its akin to me caring what fast food is at Kimmel these days.

All I care about is the hoops, football and the overall academic standing. Yes i'm shallow I admit that.

We're about 1-3 since I graduated in the late 90s on enhancing one of those 3.

You're dreaming.
is it bad if I say, "could care less"? I was an SU grad and don't feel like I deserved any other opportunity than a chance to get a degree. I don't really care about the rest of the athletic dept. Its akin to me caring what fast food is at Kimmel these days.

All I care about is the hoops, football and the overall academic standing. Yes i'm shallow I admit that.

We're about 1-3 since I graduated in the late 90s on enhancing one of those 3.
Precisely, and thankfully, why you aren't in a position to make the decision.

How many other P5 schools would be pleased with an AD who "led" the football team to 3 bowl appearances in 10 years?

You can absolutely find an AD who can support both football/hoops and Olympic sports.

How many other P5 schools would be pleased with an AD who "led" the football team to 3 bowl appearances in 10 years?

You can absolutely find an AD who can support both football/hoops and Olympic sports.
Wouldn't that be 4?
He was so hardnosed that he immediately fired the coach whose team played in the first one.

Wouldn't that be 4?
He was so hardnosed that he immediately fired the coach whose team played in the first one.

I don't consider that P appearance as one for Gross to claim.

This, sometimes the best thing for an organization is for leaders to leave every 5-10 years. They loose effectiveness after that. Their ideas become stale. I always believed that jake and buzz stayed 10 years too long.
so we would have been better off if jb left years ago?

HCRE and Holtz turned down Gross; the committee wasn't behind either of those choices and Gross didn't have the full say (as evidenced by the committee being formed in the first place).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom