IF the season really tanks... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

IF the season really tanks...

I'm not one to build Boeheim up as some god, but I'm not sure I'd want to cut the cord when the program is at a low-point and hope that we can get some other coach in to turn things around. I feel like Boeheim probably gives us our best chance of getting out of this.

Plus, things will be better next year. Not great. But better.

Ah. Excuse me but next years team is gonna be loaded. Preseason top 10 for sure. How is that not great.

Ah. Excuse me but next years team is gonna be loaded. Preseason top 10 for sure. How is that not great.
Really? Why? Battle is a solid recruit but he isn't great. P.C. will help on defense but he isn't Pat Ewing. Lydon and mali are good and should make a jump but let's not go crazy. This team will not be pre season top 10

What does SU/Coyle do? Like if the team wins only a couple of ACC games. Pull the plug on Boeheim? The rest of the staff? I don't know how much JB can fix with this group of players, frankly. These are his and the staff's recruiting misses and obviously bad luck too. Not trying to be overly reactionary just posing an honest question.

hahahahaahaha. stop.

we will be fine next year.

and the season is alreayd in the tank.

Has he done anything to make people feel confident that hes's ready to take over permanently?

he has too much respect for JB to do anything other than exactly what JB was doing. Its clearly not working. Will be interesting to see if JB realizes that after watching on TV.

What does SU/Coyle do? Like if the team wins only a couple of ACC games. Pull the plug on Boeheim? The rest of the staff? I don't know how much JB can fix with this group of players, frankly. These are his and the staff's recruiting misses and obviously bad luck too. Not trying to be overly reactionary just posing an honest question.
No, it is over reactionary. 40 year coach ready to retire and they will let him go? Oh Lord

Really? Why? Battle is a solid recruit but he isn't great. P.C. will help on defense but he isn't Pat Ewing. Lydon and mali are good and should make a jump but let's not go crazy. This team will not be pre season top 10

PC at the 5.
TR at the 4
Lydon at the 3
Malachi at the 2
Battle at the 1

And we will have some depth off the bench. BTW, Battle has only slipped down the rankings because he was injured and the anti Syracuse bias when it comes to ranking our recruits.

The issue isn't Boeheim or when he decides to hang it up. It was the decision to hand the keys to a top 5 program to a guy who has never coached. It worked with Jimmy obviously but this is a very risky proposition. I hope it works out but judging from the small sample size, this thing can go bad quickly if Hopkins doesn't get off to a good start when it's his show.

I agree with this. Maybe I missed it but how many major programs have been banging down the door to hire MH? When JB leaves - and that should be whenever he wants to leave (barring any more violations) - SU should hire the best available coach to replace him. I've always had the feeling that MH is not necessarily that guy.

I would say this is an overly reactionary question. How in the world would any AD pull the plug on JB and his staff after this season? Think about that for a second. SU lifer, 900+ wins, Hall of Fame, US Olympic Assistant, National Champion...I could go on and on. Can you imagine the beating Coyle would take from the pundits? He would have fans and alumni alike calling for his head and I would be first in line.

Battle is far more than solid and has more upside than anybody on the current roster.

The Hulkster hasn't yet learned the lessons of the Orange Jedi

- a great team is one that has pieces that fit together well, not a mismatched collection of great pieces. We should have pretty good individual talent here next season, but how it shapes itself into a team is anyone's guess.
- next year's incoming freshmen, or the recruiting class after that are ALWAYS better than what we have on the roster today...always. It's uncanny how that works.

PC at the 5.
TR at the 4
Lydon at the 3
Malachi at the 2
Battle at the 1

And we will have some depth off the bench. BTW, Battle has only slipped down the rankings because he was injured and the anti Syracuse bias when it comes to ranking our recruits.

Not sure why you assume everyone would be back...given how past few seasons have played out.

PC at the 5.
TR at the 4
Lydon at the 3
Malachi at the 2
Battle at the 1

And why exactly is that line up pre season top 10? Who on that team has done anything to make a team pre season top 10?

Not sure why you assume everyone would be back...given how past few seasons have played out.
Who on this team will leave early?

We had 2 bad years. Get over it. FF 3 years ago. 25-0 2 years ago.

We had a couple of recruits not pan out (DC, Joseph), and some did better than expected and left early (Ennis, Grant). Diagle (sp) never even got here.

Just bad luck the last 2 years with players really.
Djiang failure to play here falls directly on this staff and the Admissions people. Not the NCAA fault. We just came off an academic scandal and with Chinoso having issues too,we should have been experts here. Sounds like Boeheim took the only big man left that would come here that fits into his exclusive zone first policy and tried to slip this kid through.

People can piss and moan all they want about Djiang and bitch about the NCAA all they want but at this point it will get us nowhere to the Tournament. It might even be very hard to make the NIT this year and next due to the overall offensive talent that we lack and who we will be losing going into next year. We are not and can not recruit at the talent level like the elite teams of today because most elite offensive players want to play in a system that puts points on the board in bunches. I was stunned that we reached 70 last night and so was Taco Bell who also lowered their offensive expectations. This team has very big offensive problems and soooo many here are refusing to accept that.Hopkins has not shown a thing as a big man coach so far.

We had 2 bad years. Get over it. FF 3 years ago. 25-0 2 years ago.

We really need to get past the concept that the 2013-2014 was a good team. 25-0 was nice but they TANKED down the stretch. Poor to horrible offensive team, even when they were winning. 3-6 over the last 9 games, lost in the first round of the ACC tourney, beat by Dayton in a game that they couldn't make a single three pointer.

When was the last season that everyone who didn't graduate came back? It's not out of the realm of possibility that someone transfers, someone isn't eligible, someone gets injured, someone goes to the NBA and gets drafted in the late 2nd round, etc.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Richardson and/or Lydon leave.

I'm not hoping or saying they SHOULD...but we just had a guy leave after playing 1/2 a season.

We really need to get past the concept that the 2013-2014 was a good team. 25-0 was nice but they TANKED down the stretch. Poor to horrible offensive team, even when they were winning. 3-6 over the last 9 games, lost in the first round of the ACC tourney, beat by Dayton in a game that they couldn't make a single three pointer.

Agreed...25-0 and 3-6 are two sides of the same coin. That team didn't win anything.

This season kind of puts a wet blanket on the "elite program" discussion from a few years ago.

JB isn't getting fired, come on.

The last few years have been rough, but think about where we were in 2006-08. 06 aside from the miracle run at MSG we were a bubble team, and in 07 and 08 we missed out. That was then followed up with one of the better 5 year runs in school history.

I'm not saying that's going to happen now, but things can change really quickly, for better or worse.

Djiang failure to play here falls directly on this staff and the Admissions people. Not the NCAA fault. We just came off an academic scandal and with Chinoso having issues too,we should have been experts here. Sounds like Boeheim took the only big man left that would come here that fits into his exclusive zone first policy and tried to slip this kid through.

What were Diagne's grades from his HS in Jersey?

What were his grades from Africa?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom