If YOU are an opposing coach... | Syracusefan.com

If YOU are an opposing coach...

SouthCampusHero

2nd String
...how do you try to beat us?

We struggled in this game in the first 10 minutes of the first half because NCState had only one turnover. We were losing because we played a half-court offense that wasnt as effective as the Wolfpack's. In other words, we couldnt force turnovers and get into transition. Furthermore, we always had to inbound the ball from under the basket because they made so many of their shots. We went on a huge run when we forced turnovers...we even hit threes when we had the momentum. The Wolfpack seemed to fall into our strength by playing a high-tempo offense. Only then did we create turnovers.

What happens if we play a team that decides to play like Wisconsin? They play a slow-tempo game and protect the ball. We depend on teams to cater to our game...and our tempo somehow causes other teams to play up-tempo and force things. When teams force things, we take advantage and go on runs. It's clear that an opponent cant run with this team. Slow it down at all costs. Protect the ball. It just seems to me that a slow-tempo team can effect the tempo of a game moreso than an up-tempo team. So far, we have had our way.

NC State did a great job of making the extra pass (they had 21 assists). When you have that many assists, there are shots created that a team simply cant defend.

It's not that hard:

1. Get the ball to the middle on the zone at the high post (anyone can do)
2. Have C who can shoot a ten foot jumpshot (very few)
3. Have a PF/C who can pas out of the high post

Defensive length is what canges things up. And NC St dod a nice job of working from the soft part of the zone. And we still won. Nice victory.

44cuse

You try to enter to the foul line to a skilled forward. You have your bigs hit the offensive boards hard. You don't let your guards penetrate or hit the offensive boards. They stay up top and distribute and spot up for threes.

Our half court offense is still iffy, so you can't give us fast break points. Make us score everying in a half court offense.

I zone SU and make them try to score from the outside and take care of the ball to try to avoid giving up the transition points. Last night we did a good job of hitting jumpers, at least during a significant stretch. If I am the opposing coach I gamble that my best shot is with us having a cold shooting night from outside.

You talk Pitino into coaching for every SU opponent this year. He'll find the talent on one of the teams to beat us. It might even be Louisville.

We struggled in this game in the first 10 minutes of the first half because NCState had only one turnover. We were losing because we played a half-court offense that wasnt as effective as the Wolfpack's. In other words, we couldnt force turnovers and get into transition. Furthermore, we always had to inbound the ball from under the basket because they made so many of their shots. We went on a huge run when we forced turnovers...we even hit threes when we had the momentum. The Wolfpack seemed to fall into our strength by playing a high-tempo offense. Only then did we create turnovers.

What happens if we play a team that decides to play like Wisconsin? They play a slow-tempo game and protect the ball. We depend on teams to cater to our game...and our tempo somehow causes other teams to play up-tempo and force things. When teams force things, we take advantage and go on runs. It's clear that an opponent cant run with this team. Slow it down at all costs. Protect the ball. It just seems to me that a slow-tempo team can effect the tempo of a game moreso than an up-tempo team. So far, we have had our way.

NC State did a great job of making the extra pass (they had 21 assists). When you have that many assists, there are shots created that a team simply cant defend.

Almost every team we play tries to slow things down against us. The problem with that is, you can only slow things down when you have the ball, if you give up a rebound or a turnover its off to the races and there is nothing you can do about it.

Slowing things down will cause both teams to score less, because it takes more time, but it wont necessarily stop us from scoring as much in transition in relation to how much we need to score to win the game (we will score less in transition but it will take fewer points to win the game because there will be less point scored total). I've also noticed that trying to run 30 seconds of good offense against our D usually adds up to more turnovers, not less.

NC State tried to attack our zone very aggressively with a lot of quick passing, and they did a fairly decent job, they obviously scouted us well. The problem is, trying to make several pin point passes every possession (unintentional alliteration there, sorry) is a dangerous thing to do. We figured out that we had to move quick on D and get our hands up (which our guys did a good job of after about the first 5 minutes of the game) and once we did, we turned them over on a large amount of possessions.

If you are asking what will happen if somebody attacks our defense perfectly, makes bunch of pin point passes without turning the ball over, hits shots, forces us to play half court defense, and is more efficient than us in the half court? The answer is, they will beat us. And that is definitely going to happen this year. We might be good, but we are not going undefeated. However, that is probably not going to happen very often. Boeheim has a system going that works over the big picture (which is why he is in the Hall of Fame) and he has the guys that can work it to perfection. Our D gives up shots (every D does) but we are unquestionably, right now, the best in the country at giving up only the type of shots we want to give up. We are also the best in the country at both generating transition points and executing in transition. Our Achilles heel is our half court offense, but I thought it looked better against NC State than it has all year. Does this mean our guys can step up their half court game when they know they have to? Maybe. Stay tuned. If that is true we are going to be very difficult to beat.

I would simply run up the white flag before the game

If you are asking what will happen if somebody attacks our defense perfectly, makes bunch of pin point passes without turning the ball over, hits shots, forces us to play half court defense, and is more efficient than us in the half court? The answer is, they will beat us. And that is definitely going to happen this year. We might be good, but we are not going undefeated. However, that is probably not going to happen very often. Boeheim has a system going that works over the big picture (which is why he is in the Hall of Fame) and he has the guys that can work it to perfection. Our D gives up shots (every D does) but we are unquestionably, right now, the best in the country at giving up only the type of shots we want to give up. We are also the best in the country at both generating transition points and executing in transition. Our Achilles heel is our half court offense, but I thought it looked better against NC State than it has all year. Does this mean our guys can step up their half court game when they know they have to? Maybe. Stay tuned. If that is true we are going to be very difficult to beat.[/quote]

Great Point and really be the way this year goes. We will loose at some point this year and people will be jumping out of windows when it happens but at the end of the day this is a very good team... One of the best in the country... And if we can get better in the half court set well we will be putting up our 2nd NC in the loud house...

You mention Wisconsin and the Badgers are the type of program that we might struggle against. Any team that protects the ball, plays well in the halfcourt, is sound defensively, and forces a halfcourt game themselves will be a challange.

Also, an opponent has to have a solid bench or else a group of really good ironmen starters that can each go 35+ minutes against us.

Or Pittsburgh.

I expect to lose half a dozen games this year. And when we lose it will be because the other team took care of the ball and forced use to beat them in the half-court. We've won the games like so far this year but there's plenty more to come.

Or Pittsburgh.

I expect to lose half a dozen games this year. And when we lose it will be because the other team took care of the ball and forced use to beat them in the ahlf-court. We've won the games like so far this year but there's plenty more to come.
I just watched the game again and saw a lot of unforced errors by NC State, but also saw serious ball-hawking by KJ, Dion, CJ, et al. JB has forced the issue at times with pressure and I see our defensive intensity as a major strength, no matter what strategy is used by our opponents.

Ball hogging can equal isolation. Without it there is no individual confidence just a team one.

Hit 3's. Play stall-ball. Don't even try to pass, as it will lead to a turnover.

I thought that NCSt did a nice job running the offense through Leslie at the high post, and we were getting killed with the foul line jumpers. Luckily, he went out for a while, and they couldn't recover.

Few teams are going to have a forward like him that will be able to hurt us from there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom