I'm glad I didn't see the last punt | Syracusefan.com

I'm glad I didn't see the last punt

Millhouse

Living Legend
I think we might have a meathead

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That was confirmed on the 1st half punt on 4th and 5 from the PED St. 35.

That was confirmed on the 1st half punt on 4th and 5 from the PED St. 35.
Was that the one that we took a penalty for so we could get off a longer kick? I love those.

Was that the one that we took a penalty for so we could get off a longer kick? I love those.

That was the one that ended up with a bad snap that the punter never got away.

I was actually okay with the last punt. As I said before our defense had a much better chance of scoring than our offense did.

We got the kicker we wanted with that move. Even Mike Patrick knew that one.

Again, we had the ball with 2 minutes to go with a shot to win. Not sure what you want out of a coach. That wasn't punting to Matt Barkley and a bunch all AA WRs while we were moving it well also.

We got the kicker we wanted with that move. Even Mike Patrick knew that one.
And why did we want a specific kicker there?

Spoiler alert - the answer is pretty dumb.

I think we might have a meathead

I actually used that word loudly at the parlor and had you in mind, milly.

It really blows my mind how football coaches can be so dumb. This stuff happens at the NFL too, not just piling on HCSS.

I'm usually with you, but I didn't hate that punt considering how well our defense had been doing, especially on third...and it worked out.

That punt by shafer showed me he has a feel for the game and that he will go with his gut, the easy call is to go for it there, but given the flow of the game the right call was the punt, 100% the right call. Regardless of what people say, it worked!!! Who cares about what people learned in their entry level statistics class, results are all that matter.

Real world versus book world...

That punt by shafer showed me he has a feel for the game and that he will go with his gut, the easy call is to go for it there, but given the flow of the game the right call was the punt, 100% the right call. Regardless of what people say, it worked!!! Who cares about what people learned in their entry level statistics class, results are all that matter.

Agreed. But in the other thread on this topic, you have people arguing the opposite point, claiming that it is a no brainer bad decision.

Funny how people can view the same event and have such divergent viewpoints.

The result was what? The offense needed every second it could get

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

the offense had more than enough time. The problem was that you could have given us 10 downs to make a first and I don't think we would have got a first down, let alone a td.

And why did we want a specific kicker there?

Spoiler alert - the answer is pretty dumb.

That we have 2 punters? What's dumb about that?

Your just being difficult with this... We had a better chance of winning that game with a fumble recovery/ return or a punt return than we did with the offense. Shafer was correct with what he did in the context of how the game had developed. Only reason we were in the game was the defense and turnovers.

Your just being difficult with this... We had a better chance of winning that game with a fumble recovery/ return or a punt return than we did with the offense. Shafer was correct with what he did in the context of how the game had developed. Only reason we were in the game was the defense and turnovers.
It's not like it was a shut out. I'm not on board with the waterboy strategy. There was a stretch in 07 I think where the offense was so bad that punting on first down would have been less negative than trying on offense. But that was just barely and that was the worst stretch of offensive football ever

We had a better chance of winning that game with a fumble recovery/ return or a punt return than we did with the offense.

If we actually believe that, we shouldn't even bother playing. I'm not joking.

I have no problem with the punt. Granted, I hated to see it. But I had no confidence we would be able to pick up a fourth and seven in that situation. I had much more confidence that we could punt, and hold them to three and out, and get the ball back with a new set of downs.

The fact that that is precisely what happened is only a little significant. There was enough time -- barely -- and you had to trust your D to do their jobs.

I had more problem with punting from the PSU 42 early in the game.

That we have 2 punters? What's dumb about that?

It's dumb that we have a guy that "specializes" in making shorter punts, and we opted to take a penalty to back up so that we could switch guys.

Generally, if you need to back up so that you feel better about your chances of punting, maybe you should rethink why you want to punt.

agree, at first I was kinda pissed in the stands about the punt, but totally understand that a forced TO was the best way to go. Here is hoping this saturday night we have an identity on O... I can't stand each play taking 30 secs to get the snap in.

It's not like it was a shut out. I'm not on board with the waterboy strategy. There was a stretch in 07 I think where the offense was so bad that punting on first down would have been less negative than trying on offense. But that was just barely and that was the worst stretch of offensive football ever

So, you weren't watching but you know it was the wrong thing to do? Okay.

Regardless of what people say, it worked!!! Who cares about what people learned in their entry level statistics class, results are all that matter.
That's the same logic you get from the person at the black jack table who hits on 19 and gets a 2. Regardless of the outcome, it was a dumb move.

So, you weren't watching but you know it was the wrong thing to do? Okay.
Yep. I watched it later. Clock and scoreboard. Bad offenses score more than good defenses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom