I'm glad I didn't see the last punt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm glad I didn't see the last punt

Yep. I watched it later. Clock and scoreboard. Bad offenses score more than good defenses

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
sorry, it wasn't a bad call. Wouldn't have been a bad call to go for it either. Having said that, the call that gave you the best chance to win was the call that was made.

Time wasn't the issue for the offense on the last drive, ineffectiveness was.

It's dumb that we have a guy that "specializes" in making shorter punts, and we opted to take a penalty to back up so that we could switch guys.

Generally, if you need to back up so that you feel better about your chances of punting, maybe you should rethink why you want to punt.

As opposed to having guys that rocket it into the endzone?

You should email Schaefer and let him know all your knowledge, he apparently needs it.

That's the same logic you get from the person at the black jack table who hits on 19 and gets a 2. Regardless of the outcome, it was a dumb move.
Amen, Donnie!!

Bad offenses score more than good defenses

God dang am I glad you're back. Meathead central around here

As opposed to having guys that rocket it into the endzone?
If you're worried about the distance being such that your punter isn't capable of stopping himself from blasting it through the end zone, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T PUNT FROM THERE, AND INTENTIONALLY TAKING A PENALTY SO YOU BACK UP IS A DUMB, DUMB SOLUTION.

If you're worried about the distance being such that your punter isn't capable of stopping himself from blasting it through the end zone, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T PUNT FROM THERE, AND INTENTIONALLY TAKING A PENALTY SO YOU BACK UP IS A DUMB, DUMB SOLUTION.

We took the penalty on the 50 to get 5 yards back. The punt went to the 15, got returned 9 yards.

It was a 4th and 10.

That's when you punt.

I have no problem with the punt. Granted, I hated to see it. But I had no confidence we would be able to pick up a fourth and seven in that situation. I had much more confidence that we could punt, and hold them to three and out, and get the ball back with a new set of downs.

The fact that that is precisely what happened is only a little significant. There was enough time -- barely -- and you had to trust your D to do their jobs.

I had more problem with punting from the PSU 42 early in the game.

I don't even mind the punt from PSU's 42. You're playing a team with a true freshman QB in his first game, pinning them deep isn't a bad thing.

I don't think any of these punt calls represent a trend. I think it represents the Shafer's feel in the particular game. If he becomes a punt robot, so be it, but people shouldn't make that assumption yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

Not that black and white here at all. Apples and oranges. Lots of gray area
I agree, I am only making the point that just because things work out, it doesn't mean a decision was wise.

We took the penalty on the 50 to get 5 yards back. The punt went to the 15, got returned 9 yards.

It was a 4th and 10.

That's when you punt.
If you're going to be consistent about only looking at results and not probabilities then you should say that backing up was bad considering the punt only went to the fifteen.

You're selective about that though

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

If we actually believe that, we shouldn't even bother playing. I'm not joking.
And they shouldn't have waited til 4th down to punt

We got the ball back with 2+ minutes left. I didn't like the punt but it worked. Allen screwed the pooch with that interception.

If you're going to be consistent about only looking at results and not probabilities then you should say that backing up was bad considering the punt only went to the fifteen.

You're selective about that though

We didn't want a touchback, and gave up 4 more yards. That's forgivable.

Another poster made it sound like we shouldn't punt on 4th and 10 from the 50 playing against a freshman QB.

we completed like one pass in the 2nd half over 7 yds.. so what would people think our chances of even getting a first down were? at best 1 in 10? our chances of getting the ball back were probably 50/50. if you cant complete a pass for a first down at least 40% of the time why would you even think about going for it unless time was the only consideration?

And they shouldn't have waited til 4th down to punt

That's true. If you think it through until the end, yes, if you honestly believe that our defense or special teams had a better chance of scoring than our offense, yeah, why burn clock with an unproductive offense?

We didn't want a touchback, and gave up 4 more yards. That's forgivable.

Another poster made it sound like we shouldn't punt on 4th and 10 from the 50 playing against a freshman QB.
What does fr have to do with it? Can just as easily flip around to say the other guy is just a fr, its not the end of the world if we give him better field position.

If he were some hall of tamer everyone would just say only way to stop him is to pin him.

No matter what, punters gotta punt

we completed like one pass in the 2nd half over 7 yds.. so what would people think our chances of even getting a first down were? at best 1 in 10? our chances of getting the ball back were probably 50/50. if you cant complete a pass for a first down at least 40% of the time why would you even think about going for it unless time was the only consideration?
One in ten is ridiculous

I agree, I am only making the point that just because things work out, it doesn't mean a decision was wise.

I think people who judge decisions don't always understand the circumstance. What is right in one spot, isn't right the next time. Always going for it, in that spot, clearly isn't always the right call. Pounding your chest as if it is, is close minded and ridiculous. Like I said, I want a coach who demonstrates feel for the game when decisions like this are to be made and to me Shafer did exactly that. People have the right to disagree with the decision, I just happened to think it was the right one.

I guess it makes for good discussion and I usually prefer to go for it on 4th, but in that case I was glad to see Coach punt it as I just felt it was the right call. Arguing for the sake of arguing is fun I guess!!

Maybe SS could put AB in to punt when SU has the ball inside the opponents 50 yard line as he'd be a triple threat... punt, pass or run.

What does fr have to do with it? Can just as easily flip around to say the other guy is just a fr, its not the end of the world if we give him better field position.

If he were some hall of tamer everyone would just say only way to stop him is to pin him.

No matter what, punters gotta punt

You know better than this. 2 first downs for PSU and they're in scoring range. A true frosh ideally is going to have less of a chance to maintain a sustained drive.

The guys in white on Saturday weren't USC. The guys in blue weren't the guys that have played at SU together for years. If we were able to execute a bit on offense we probably win.

You know better than this. 2 first downs for PSU and they're in scoring range. A true frosh ideally is going to have less of a chance to maintain a sustained drive.

The guys in white on Saturday weren't USC. The guys in blue weren't the guys that have played at SU together for years. If we were able to execute a bit on offense we probably win.
I don't care about "scoring range". That is just a way to make fg sound better than they are. People who talk that way ignore the math reality. Keeping the ball puts us close to "scoring range" too

this whole thread is useless.

we are discussing whether to punt or not: based on down, distance, feel, percentages etc...thats offense in the 500 level class group.

our OC is struggling with offense 1o1 here.

the game was moving too fast for him, best thing he could do was punt...and go get a cup of gatorade and try to regroup.

most people in the 200s were standing when the O took the field. then after watching Allen stand and stare at the sideline for what felt like an hour, everyone basically went What?? Oh boy...and sat down.

lets table the going for it on 4th down for a bit...

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom