In your opinion is JB the HC next year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

In your opinion is JB the HC next year?

I think he coaches for 3 more years. To clarify, this season and two more after it.
100% guarantee that next year is his last year and nothing beyond that!

Of course he is. Then he'll retire as planned and Hopkins will be the coach. One bad seaosn after 40 good ones isn't going to get a coach fired and he's not going to walk away on a sour note.

Of course he is. Then he'll retire as planned and Hopkins will be the coach. One bad seaosn after 40 good ones isn't going to get a coach fired and he's not going to walk away on a sour note.
It has nothing to do with that it has to do with from what I heard from a very reliable source is Jim would like to coach more than just next year but the University pretty much said no and I think there's financial implications.

From what I understand it is some type of additional compensation to Hopkins that would only be due after next year if Mike is not the head coach!

That's never going to happen. Our AD is never going there. And nor should he. JB can do whatever he wants. He's earned that.
I said years ago that he has earned the right to determine when. But that was when I couldn't imagine him deferring on so many critical responsibilities. He's no longer All In. I don't think anyone has the right to be a two-thirds coach. The program is too important and there are lasting effects.

Hope Bing was right and he doesn't have room in his house for all the cornball gifts he'd be given on a farewell tour.

I wonder if Lydon, Thompson, and Battle have a preference.

he's not going to walk away on a sour note.
Whether he stays 1 more year or not, he's walking away on a sour note. Next year could make it 2 straight losing seasons. Not out of the realm of possibility at this point.

Personally, no inside info, I think JB would coach until he drops on the sidelines if the situation allowed for it.

For my legit guess, I think he coaches through next season to still be the wall between the NCAA sanctions and Hop, then allows Hop to start clean.

The only two things I can think of that changes that situation:

1) Another violation is exposed and the whole coaching staff has to go

2) JB decides it's his program, won't be told to leave by anyone and wins a power play to stay longer and Hop takes another HC gig.

I don't think either of those two events will happen, though.

This is not our decision as fans to make...But my beef with the zone is that he just not uses any other options when it is failing. N.D. made 7 threes in the first half and he comes right back out after halftime with the same "D".

Insanity...

Shaka and Texas will be fine. He's only had one recruiting class of his players. He inherited some Barnes players especially some big plodding bodies who don't fit his style.

Because I admire his coaching accomplishments, I hope he returns and has an amazing bounce-back season (though this season isn't over yet, so who knows what could happen).

I can't believe he wouldn't be on the sidelines either way, though.

Not a question in my mind, yes. JB will coach us next year.

I can't believe there are people on this message board who want JB to retire this year. Insane! :bat:

Him and Roberson don't get along and that has had a negative effect on the team. Too bad a senior leader has turned into a locker room distraction negatively affecting team morale. Not something you plan for, one would think! Hopefully he can grow up and help the team salvage the season!

Again, there are SU fans who want JB to retire? :rolling:

I can't believe there are people on this message board who want JB to retire this year. Insane! :bat:

Him and Roberson don't get along and that has had a negative effect on the team. Too bad a senior leader has turned into a locker room distraction negatively affecting team morale. Not something you plan for, one would think! Hopefully he can grow up and help the team salvage the season!

A locker room distraction huh

K

Of course nobody wants JB to retire. I want him to live forever. But the school has announced his retirement two years ago and coach Hopkins has a contract to be head coach.

SU Basketball: Hopkins Named Official Successor

I've heard so many people here make comments like yours. But until the University makes some kind of formal announcement about the formal announcement I do not think anything is changing the plan.

This is not our decision as fans to make...But my beef with the zone is that he just not uses any other options when it is failing. N.D. made 7 threes in the first half and he comes right back out after halftime with the same "D".

Insanity...

"The short history of our zone is we started out as a man-to-man team with some zone and over the years our zone got better, but we still played man,'' Boeheim said. "The problem when you play man, you have to spend an hour on your man defense every day and when you play your preseason games, your non-conference games, if you're playing man your zone isn't getting better.''

Boeheim said he realized that if the Orange was going to play zone, it had to do it all the time.

"So finally it dawned on me,'' said Boeheim, "after about 27 or 28 years, finally, takes me a while, that if we played zone all the time and didn't waste time playing man to man and put some wrinkles in the zone because we had more time to practice it, that our defense would be better.''

There was a side benefit to putting 100 percent effort into the zone.

"You don't have that decision that people are always saying to me, well, why don't you switch to your man-to-man,'' Boeheim said. "Well, you can't switch to something you don't have. They stopped asking that question.''

Boeheim said rather than switching out the zone, he is able to make changes to the defense.

"When a man-to-man coach is getting beat, he tells his team to play defense better, he doesn't switch to a zonel,'' Boeheim said. "When we get beat in our zone for whatever reason it is, we try to change it or play it better.''

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says he learned (slowly) to rely on the zone defense

Of course nobody wants JB to retire. I want him to live forever. But the school has announced his retirement two years ago and coach Hopkins has a contract to be head coach.

SU Basketball: Hopkins Named Official Successor

I've heard so many people here make comments like yours. But until the University makes some kind of formal announcement about the formal announcement I do not think anything is changing the plan.

That's how I feel. While there are a couple things I wouldn't mind being done differently, I love JB. He's all I've ever known, which is probably the case for a decent number on the board. He's brought me my greatest sports memories that I probably will ever have. But I guess I've mentally prepared myself and accepted the fact that he can't coach forever. I don't think we're going to have a Weekend at Bernie's situation.

Roberson has not been a locker room distraction. He's a great kid and teammate. He's just not a great player. There have been distractions but Roberson? Not even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom