Judah and his 20 free throws | Syracusefan.com

Judah and his 20 free throws

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
I haven't read through all of the game threads but didn't really see much talk about Judah. I know people get frustrated when he comes down on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 and doesn't pass the ball. Yet, his assists numbers have really improved the last couple games. And, how can anyone argue when a player gets 20 FT's. Thats a pretty incredible achievement. And better driving than hoisting up threes. When the offense is going according to plan, JJ and Chris are getting better shots and Judah is getting some spacing to create. It's really what he does best.

My main issue with Judah is that he waits until the contact occurs to try and just toss the ball in the direction of the basket. Rarely does his shot ever go in because of this. If he would get a little better at anticipating the contact and putting up the little floater or even a bank shot with a somewhat decent look at the basket, he could be going to the line for an and 1 vs two free throws.. Instead, he just bulls his way into traffic and always ends up on his backside. He is shooting what, 77% from the line? That means he has left over 33 points off the table out of 100 free throws, but in reality many more than that. It is nice that his assists are going up, you can see the play maker he really can be, the point guard that he can truly be. He reminds me of Allen Iverson, and I think he has the ability to become the second coming of Allen.

I haven't read through all of the game threads but didn't really see much talk about Judah. I know people get frustrated when he comes down on a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 and doesn't pass the ball. Yet, his assists numbers have really improved the last couple games. And, how can anyone argue when a player gets 20 FT's. Thats a pretty incredible achievement. And better driving than hoisting up threes. When the offense is going according to plan, JJ and Chris are getting better shots and Judah is getting some spacing to create. It's really what he does best.
When he does it it’s an achievement but when Harden was doing that in his prime it was garbage and everyone hated him. Which is it ?

My main issue with Judah is that he waits until the contact occurs to try and just toss the ball in the direction of the basket. Rarely does his shot ever go in because of this. If he would get a little better at anticipating the contact and putting up the little floater or even a bank shot with a somewhat decent look at the basket, he could be going to the line for an and 1 vs two free throws.. Instead, he just bulls his way into traffic and always ends up on his backside. He is shooting what, 77% from the line? That means he has left over 33 points off the table out of 100 free throws, but in reality many more than that. It is nice that his assists are going up, you can see the play maker he really can be, the point guard that he can truly be. He reminds me of Allen Iverson, and I think he has the ability to become the second coming of Allen.
someone has to say it or we lose all credibility as a fan base. The idea that JM has the ability to be the second coming of AI is not an idea that stands the test of “does this seem true?”

100-77 = 23

When he does it it’s an achievement but when Harden was doing that in his prime it was garbage and everyone hated him. Which is it ?
When I think of Harden and his career that's not exactly what comes to my mind. He wasn't a garbage player but most fans wouldn't want him on their team, even though he put up impressive stats.

Harden in college averaged 7.2 FT's a game. In the NBA, it's been 8.4 with a season high of 11.8. He's had 20 or more 21 times.

Judah is averaging 9.2 attempts per game so far this season.

NC State couldn't guard him.

His continually getting to the line benefits us in three ways:

He gets us points
He gets us in the bonus/double bonus
He gets the other team in foul trouble

someone has to say it or we lose all credibility as a fan base. The idea that JM has the ability to be the second coming of AI is not an idea that stands the test of “does this seem true?”
Credibility as a fan base? Fans have no credibility, that’s why they’re fans and not coaches

Harden did it a lot with the swipe through on jumpers and locking defenders arms under his on drives. He perfected the art of making non-fouls look like fouls and exploited the rules/officiating to the point they had to change the way they called games to bring back the integrity of the sport. Basically, if a defender dared to have his arm out straight, Harden would attack that arm to make it look like he got fouled while trying to play basketball when he was never trying to play basketball at any point.

Judah drives hard to the rim, seeks body contact and gets legitimately fouled.

That’s the difference, to my eye.

Last edited:
Allen Iverson who played at Georgetown and was an elite player in the league? Judah?

Iverson is one of the greatest to ever lace em up and you think a guy that might not ever make the league is the second coming? You can’t be serious!

If you're going to the line twenty times you better hit 16 or more, especially you're a guard with NBA aspirations

yep . watching a player drive , miss, hit the floor and shoot two ft's 20 times is a really exciting basketball.

Few things...

- Agree about just tossing the ball up in the direction of the basket. That's why when he isn't getting the calls, he isn't the same player and can be limited. Instead of trying to get a basket and the foul, he's just trying to get the foul.

- When he's getting the fouls, while not pretty, I love it. You can just see the frustration on the other team's face. It's demoralizing. There just isn't much they can do. It's almost a cheat code. It also gets us into the bonus and creates foul troubles for the other team.

- My first reaction to the AI comparison was "no damn way". Then I compared their college stats. While AI averaged about 4.5 pts more a game, the other stats (assists, turnovers, rebounds, etc.) are actually quite similar. I think the second coming of Allen is a bit much, but the comparison isn't too far off in my opinion.

NC State couldn't guard him.

His continually getting to the line benefits us in three ways:

He gets us points
He gets us in the bonus/double bonus
He gets the other team in foul trouble
Regarding getting the other team in foul trouble I was a bit surprised over the last two games to learn that even after all the foul calls against Fla St and NC St that no one fouled out. Both teams kept rotating players in and spread the fouls across several players. FSU had 2 with 4 fouls and 2 with 3 fouls. NC ST had one with 4 fouls and 4 with 3 fouls.

yep . watching a player drive , miss, hit the floor and shoot two ft's 20 times is a really exciting basketball.
As long he cashes in on them, who cares. Excitement doesn’t win basketball games, but points sure do. Not to mention 10 drawn fouls a game equals a lot of bench time for guys, even if it’s spread out decently well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom