Judah and his 20 free throws | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Judah and his 20 free throws

If you're going to the line twenty times you better hit 16 or more, especially you're a guard with NBA aspirations
16/20 would be nice, but the break even point on a regular shot vs. free throws is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% I believe. 70% on a lot of volume is still great offense, especially at the college level. And his season % of 77% is huge for us. His free throws are the only reason that he's our most efficient scorer (outside of our C's doing nothing but dunks/uncontested layups).

16/20 would be nice, but the break even point on a regular shot vs. free throws is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% I believe. 70% on a lot of volume is still great offense, especially at the college level. And his season % of 77% is huge for us. His free throws are the only reason that he's our most efficient scorer (outside of our C's doing nothing but dunks/uncontested layups).

THIS! 77% on undefended FT is absolutely the most efficient offence we have this season.

Watching Judah reminds me of watching Dwayne Wade back when he and Shaq won a championship together. Obviously, the Heat won which is good, but I didn’t really enjoy watching Wade get free throws almost every time down the court (it seemed like it anyway).

Similarly, I’m glad he got all those FT attempts and Cuse won, but I don’t particularly enjoy watching it.

Allen Iverson who played at Georgetown and was an elite player in the league? Judah?
Right. The biggest difference between the two payers is that AI could actually shoot the ball and from distance, along with everything else he brought to the table. His sophomore season in which he averaged 25 per game, he was 225-412 (.546) from inside the arc. He was also 87-238 (.366) on volume from three.

Right. The biggest difference between the two payers is that AI could actually shoot the ball and from distance, along with everything else he brought to the table. His sophomore season in which he averaged 25 per game, he was 225-412 (.546) from inside the arc. He was also 87-238 (.366) on volume from three.
Let's not cherry pick though. AI was NOT a good 3pt shooter in college OR in the nba. His "blistering" 36.6% from 3 was his best. His freshman year was a whopping 23.2%. Overall in college he was 31.4%. Guess what his 3pt percentage was for his NBA career? Just subtract one tenth from his college stats. To call AI a volume shooter is a gross understatement.

Let's not cherry pick though. AI was NOT a good 3pt shooter in college OR in the nba. His "blistering" 36.6% from 3 was his best. His freshman year was a whopping 23.2%. Overall in college he was 31.4%. Guess what his 3pt percentage was for his NBA career? Just subtract one tenth from his college stats. To call AI a volume shooter is a gross understatement.
Okay no problem. I consider 87 threes in one college season high volume and at 37% not too shabby, maybe I’m wrong for assuming that. Judah has made THREE 3 pointers in the last 11 games. I wouldn’t consider them similar shooters. Not too mention how much further back the nba line is. I’d say with the extended distance and defenders in his face, Judah would be about 20% maybe from NBA 3 point land. Maybe one day we shall see, and maybe not.

yep . watching a player drive , miss, hit the floor and shoot two ft's 20 times is a really exciting basketball.
I'd rather see guys who can't shoot clang something hard off the rim early in the shot clock that leads to a run out and an easy basket, preferably a three or an and one.

Okay no problem. I consider 87 threes in one college season high volume and at 37% not too shabby, maybe I’m wrong for assuming that. Judah has made THREE 3 pointers in the last 11 games. I wouldn’t consider them similar shooters. Not too mention how much further back the nba line is. I’d say with the extended distance and defenders in his face, Judah would be about 20% maybe from NBA 3 point land. Maybe one day we shall see, and maybe not.
I'm not trying to argue with you, but your points just seem off.

1. Shooting 36.6% from 3pt just isn't that good. It's not terrible, but it is quite average. Also, just because a player takes more shots doesn't mean that their percentage gets better.

2. You just made a comparison of one year of Allen Iverson's college career (his better year, leaving off his 23% shooting year conveniently) to 11 games for Judah. You sir, are one hell of a cherry picker. ;-)

3. You're talking college but then one sentence later refer to the nba. Are you drinking? If so, great, I am too. But it would explain a little. I'm only two IPA pints in though.

That’s with the FSU FT debacle (for Judah)

I'm not trying to argue with you, but your points just seem off.

1. Shooting 36.6% from 3pt just isn't that good. It's not terrible, but it is quite average. Also, just because a player takes more shots doesn't mean that their percentage gets better.

2. You just made a comparison of one year of Allen Iverson's college career (his better year, leaving off his 23% shooting year conveniently) to 11 games for Judah. You sir, are one hell of a cherry picker. ;-)

3. You're talking college but then one sentence later refer to the nba. Are you drinking? If so, great, I am too. But it would explain a little. I'm only two IPA pints in though.
So HOFer AI and a college kid with sub-par form and sideways spin on his ball are similar shooters. Got it. Now I will start drinking.

So HOFer AI and a college kid with sub-par form and sideways spin on his ball are similar shooters. Got it. Now I will start drinking.
If that's what you take from my post sober, then please save us all and don't start.

Doesn't 77% at the line equal 38.5% from 2?

Doesn't 77% at the line equal 38.5% from 2?

No it equates to 77% from 2. (at least in the NBA).

Probably need to knock off a few % in college because of the misses on the front end of a one and one. So a guess but its somewhere equal to 72% to 75%.

THIS! 77% on undefended FT is absolutely the most efficient offence we have this season.

Hey now. Stop using numbers to try to assess things!
I totally agree with you.

In fact, if you could get to the line every possession, 77% would be the best offence in America.. by a lot.

Not if we assume he's shooting a pair of free throws at a time.

And even if its a 1n1 77% of the time its 2 free throws. Its not that complicated.

In fact, if you could get to the line every possession, 77% would be the best offence in America.. by a lot.
Be careful what you say. Judah might take up that challenge.

This is just shooting, he can’t dribble, drive, doesn’t have the speed, agility, or the right attitude to be even in the same league as AI.

I hate when people compare players to each other like this, I don’t want to say those things about Judah because it makes it sound like he’s awful, no, he’s just not close to an NBA hall of fame player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom