Indiana Fans | Syracusefan.com

Indiana Fans

OrangeTown

Starter
Now I've been MIA for a few days, so forgive me if there has been some banter going on here, but I was just curious as to why you think there have not been any Indiana posters venturing over here and talking about tomorrow's game. In the days leading up to the Montana game, we had a couple very informative, knowledgeable posters here from their board, and I enjoyed the discussions. I also noticed a lack of SU fans introducing themselves over at their site (Peegs.com).

Reading many of the posts both here and at their site, it seems both sides have taken the approach of just indirectly insulting the other. I realize we may not need someone there with a wealth of knowledge to come here and educate us as we saw with Montana, as Indiana is already quite well known, but I still find it unfortunate that we can't find somewhere to have an intelligent but feisty discussion regarding our two teams.

I also hate the posts (I think you see this everywhere) that state, "(Insert team here)'s fans are the most (insert insulting adjective here) anywhere!!!" I've seen some on Peegs stating we're worse than Kentucky, I've seen some here stating other schools have no knowledge of anything. Generalizations frustrate me for some reason, and I hope we're all smart enough to truly realize that every fan base has its extremes. Here, we have Mantonio at one end, and Igor on the other. But common sense should tell us that most fans fall somewhere within that golden 2 standard deviations of the mean. :)

That being said, screw IU, Keith Smart has a small peepee, Indiana fans all have sex with animals, Tom Crean (need I say more?), and .

I guess I'm an outlier, after all... :)

Could not agree more with your third paragraph. It irritates me to no end when an entire group of people are generalized based on a few more...outspoken...individuals. I don't mind a little good natured smack talk now and then, but I for one prefer actual basketball discussion and really only get into the talking smack thing when the other fanbase does nothing but insult Syracuse (for instance, Missouri football fans wen we played them last year...the only time I've ever been banned from another board, to my knowledge, because those guys were just clowns).

You'd think that with two of the most passionate and storied programs in college basketball history we could actually talk about the game. Novel concept, I know.

Oh, and by the way, it's 11:54 AM CST and Georgetown still sucks. Also, .

I think they're too concerned about who they will be playing in Atlanta.
Well, I will say, I think whoever wins this game will be the East Region's representative in Atlanta.

I think most folks have found HSN. According to the folks on HSN, they claim to be the friendlier site. Not sure this is exactly the cas, yet, as there are plenty of insults on HSN (and here as well, unfortunately.)

The Keith Smart shot hurts for a lot of fans, sure, so that is where I believe a lot of the ill-will may come from on our side. 1987 pre-dates me as a fan (frosh in '93), so while I understand the pain, I don't have a level of hatred to go with it.

We have some good posters here and there's been some good dialog, but folks tend to get riled up over the name calling, and it spreads. Rather that we focus on the good "banter", but I guess I could be wrong. You're not necessarily an outlier.

I think they're too concerned about who they will be playing in Atlanta.

As one of the IU fans "lurking" looking for civil minded posters to discuss the game with, I feel that only a small minority of IU fans are worrying about who we will be playing in Atlanta. At this point in the game, and as a tough Temple team showed us first hand, there are no cake walks into the ATL. I, for one, am concerned with how we will handle your length and zone (like every other IU fan), but confident that if we move the ball, attack the middle and get you guys out of over shifted or flying to close out that we will be able to dish it to one of our many outside scoring threats (every fan is confident about their team). I feel that you guys can be just as inconsistent offensively as we can be defensively in stretches, and I am interested to see how that plays out. Also, I think we saw an old ghost pop up against Temple in our inability to crash the glass against hard nosed teams and I will be interested to see if your length and athleticism gives us any trouble on the boards.

No problem poking a little fun at each other here and there in the midst of a heated rivalry, but I tend to leave the players/coaches families out of things just out of respect to them. I think a lot more IU posters would be over here if they were given access (seem to be having trouble getting their account confirmed), and also if there were more threads actually discussing aspects of the match up versus "Tom Crean's facebook Picture" and some pass in an NIT Preseason Tournament from 1988. None the less, here is my attempt at my own Syracuse look alike.
images.jpg

I think it's about respect. The fans that have come over have had a lot of arrogance - blue blood arrogance.

That Montana fan was humble and respectful - while hoping his team would win.

The IU fans are reminding me of WVU football players - history be damned - "we are better"...

As one of the IU fans "lurking" looking for civil minded posters to discuss the game with, I feel that only a small minority of IU fans are worrying about who we will be playing in Atlanta. At this point in the game, and as a tough Temple team showed us first hand, there are no cake walks into the ATL. I, for one, am concerned with how we will handle your length and zone (like every other IU fan), but confident that if we move the ball, attack the middle and get you guys out of over shifted or flying to close out that we will be able to dish it to one of our many outside scoring threats (every fan is confident about their team). I feel that you guys can be just as inconsistent offensively as we can be defensively in stretches, and I am interested to see how that plays out. Also, I think we saw an old ghost pop up against Temple in our inability to crash the glass against hard nosed teams and I will be interested to see if your length and athleticism gives us any trouble on the boards.

No problem poking a little fun at each other here and there in the midst of a heated rivalry, but I tend to leave the players/coaches families out of things just out of respect to them. I think a lot more IU posters would be over here if they were given access (seem to be having trouble getting their account confirmed), and also if there were more threads actually discussing aspects of the match up versus "Tom Crean's facebook Picture" and some pass in an NIT Preseason Tournament from 1988. None the less, here is my attempt at my own Syracuse look alike.
View attachment 2794
Jimmy would love that since you're suggesting he actually has hair. "Everything's comin' up Boeheim!"

Unrelated, but to fit in with the tone of this thread:

I post that jokingly, and I realize we will talk smack, but at the end of the day not a single one of us will have even the slightest impact on the game and really have no stake in the game other than being fans. Whichever team loses, it's not going to ruin the lives of that fanbase, it's not going to make the members of that fanbase less than human, it's not going to render us useless in society. So why be excessively nasty? It should all be in good fun.

Now I've been MIA for a few days, so forgive me if there has been some banter going on here, but I was just curious as to why you think there have not been any Indiana posters venturing over here and talking about tomorrow's game. In the days leading up to the Montana game, we had a couple very informative, knowledgeable posters here from their board, and I enjoyed the discussions. I also noticed a lack of SU fans introducing themselves over at their site (Peegs.com).

Reading many of the posts both here and at their site, it seems both sides have taken the approach of just indirectly insulting the other. I realize we may not need someone there with a wealth of knowledge to come here and educate us as we saw with Montana, as Indiana is already quite well known, but I still find it unfortunate that we can't find somewhere to have an intelligent but feisty discussion regarding our two teams.

I also hate the posts (I think you see this everywhere) that state, "(Insert team here)'s fans are the most (insert insulting adjective here) anywhere!!!" I've seen some on Peegs stating we're worse than Kentucky, I've seen some here stating other schools have no knowledge of anything. Generalizations frustrate me for some reason, and I hope we're all smart enough to truly realize that every fan base has its extremes. Here, we have Mantonio at one end, and Igor on the other. But common sense should tell us that most fans fall somewhere within that golden 2 standard deviations of the mean. :)

That being said, screw IU, Keith Smart has a small peepee, Indiana fans all have sex with animals, Tom Crean (need I say more?), and .

THANK YOU. I think this generalized, unintelligent trash talk is if for the birds (regardless of who you're rooting for). I registered here hoping to find out more about Syracuse and this match up, but all the trash talk has made it nearly impossible to have an intelligent conversation about basketball. Honestly, before coming on to this forum, I had complete respect for Syracuse (was born after '87 so I could give a less about that) but this forum put a sour taste in my mouth and it's kinda changed my mind. Now I'm an open minded person so let's have some good conversation and change my view back.

THANK YOU. I think this generalized, unintelligent trash talk is if for the birds (regardless of who you're rooting for). I registered here hoping to find out more about Syracuse and this match up, but all the trash talk has made it nearly impossible to have an intelligent conversation about basketball. Honestly, before coming on to this forum, I had complete respect for Syracuse (was born after '87 so I could give a less about that) but this forum put a sour taste in my mouth and it's kinda changed my mind. Now I'm an open minded person so let's have some good conversation and change my view back.
Effin kids.

In fairness, there are some pretty bad things being said by some posters over on HSN. Not all, of course, but certainly some, including taking shots at the school itself, the city, and several references to us being "felons" and so forth. I will give you guys credit for, to the best of my knowledge, not trying to bring up Bernie Fine (especially since the investigation was dropped because there was zero evidence it was anything other than one dude trying to ruin Bernie).

The fact is we can all be better. One of my best friends from SU went to Indiana law and met his wife while there, and she's not an awful person so I have no reason to believe all Hoosiers suck out loud. Just Dane Fife.

So what were you looking to find out?

Here's my take - Indy is good. SU is good. Indy likes to run. SU likes to run. Both think the only way they lose is if the other teams tries to slow them down. I think SU will run every chance they get, and from what I'm reading, Indy will run every chance they get. This ought to be interesting.

Not for nothing, but SU can really run.

Indy's only advantage is a 7 footer, how will they use it, how will we shut it down.

Go Orange
SUball

I post that jokingly, and I realize we will talk smack, but at the end of the day not a single one of us will have even the slightest impact on the game and really have no stake in the game other than being fans. Whichever team loses, it's not going to ruin the lives of that fanbase, it's not going to make the members of that fanbase less than human, it's not going to render us useless in society. So why be excessively nasty? It should all be in good fun.
Well, I guess you might have a point, unless we're talking about georgetown or

Here's my take - Indy is good. SU is good. Indy likes to run. SU likes to run. Both think the only way they lose is if the other teams tries to slow them down. I think SU will run every chance they get, and from what I'm reading, Indy will run every chance they get. This ought to be interesting.

Indy's only advantage is a 7 footer, how will they use it, how will we shut it down.

Go Orange
SUball

I think this is an interesting point - the Indiana folks say "bring it on", as if no team can run with them. I think what they have not seen is how well our guys get back on the break and how many blocks or shot alterations we've been able to force on the break. We've historically always gotten out quickly when we've been on the 'break. I'm not saying we definitely win if it is a track meet, but that won't totally be the deciding factor. I think our ability to create turnovers on D will be critical because this is one area that they are weak. As some folks here have been saying, a pass that may appear open against the zone could result in some turnovers because of how active we are on D.

In fairness, there are some pretty bad things being said by some posters over on HSN. Not all, of course, but certainly some, including taking shots at the school itself, the city, and several references to us being "felons" and so forth. I will give you guys credit for, to the best of my knowledge, not trying to bring up Bernie Fine (especially since the investigation was dropped because there was zero evidence it was anything other than one dude trying to ruin Bernie).

The fact is we can all be better. One of my best friends from SU went to Indiana law and met his wife while there, and she's not an awful person so I have no reason to believe all Hoosiers suck out loud. Just Dane Fife.

Oh, I'm not denying that we have some a**holes, all fanbases do. But the reason I bring this up here is because I can't gain much insight from the Syracuse point of view on HSN.

One thing I noticed about Zeller - he runs the floor hard, straight to the block. No loafing around. This allows him to establish awesome position on the block and it helps their offense stay focused and balanced.

Keita is going to be huge in this regard. I think he's the perfect guy to run with Zeller because his skills involve quickness, not strength. If he can keep Zeller off the block and frustrate that aspect of the game, it's huge.

Go Orange
SUball

Well, first of all, your zone scares me. Nobody runs the 2-3 better than Cuse, no argument there. But I do think we have the weapons to beat it (Watford shooting over the zone, Yogi can penetrate, a reliable big man in Zeller, and Oladipo to crash the O. boards). It's just a matter of executing.

I like the thought of a running match. I'm pretty comfortable with our transition game. In the S16 last year we got into a running match with UK and hung with them very well. They were just a more talented team and it showed in the end, but no one was more talented than UK last year and you'd be hard pressed to find a more talented team this year.

It seems like our biggest weakness is to slow down the game. I was curious how confident you guys feel about you team in a slow tempo type of game.

Did you really just bring that up here? Time to start a whole new thread...:oops:

Don't see the harm in that? Just saying we got into a running match with a very good running team, played them very well, but the superior talent made the difference.

Agreed with this. I've stayed away from the board a lot this week because it seems every other thread is trashing IU.

Don't see the harm in that? Just saying we got into a running match with a very good running team, played them very well, but the superior talent made the difference.
No just a lighthearted gibe about how many here would argue that we were the most talented team in the country last year (w/ Fab Melo)...;)

I think many fans of other schools can't find this board. If you google SU fan forums the entire 1st page is other sites (you know which ones...s......com, the scout board, AD sites. This site appears on page 2 which most fans won't get to. NOTE TO ADMINS: is there a way to address this SEO issue?

I agree, the trash talk is juvenile and brings nothing to the board. SU is 5th all time in wins, Indiana is 11th (actually they might have moved into 10th, Penn did not have a good year this season). Indiana has what, 5 NCAA titles? SU finished 2nd in the country in attendance again. Indiana probably finished in the top ten as well. Both were ranked in the top ten most of this season. These are two of the best basketball programs in the country. Let's acknowledge this and instead of looking at ways to insult each other, focus on talking about the game.

My guess is that SU is going to extend its zone and take the 3 point shot away from Indiana, forcing them to beat Syracuse shooting mid range jumpers and high low post plays. Guys like Home Depot and Zeller will get many opportunities to shoot jumpers from 10 to 15 feet but open 3s and good looks down low will be limited.

I don't watch B1G basketball and have no idea if Indiana is going to play SU in man or use a zone defense. I think if IU tries to play man, they are going to have problems. They just don't match up well with Syracuse.

The size of the Syracuse guards will be a problem for them. SU had great success posting up the small UL guards in the first half of the BET championship game and I think they will go after the small Hoosier backcourt the same way if given a chance. Further, I assume if IU plays man against SU, they will put Home Depot on Fair. Fair has a 4 inch advantage in height and is a lot stronger too...he should be able to post him up on occasion.

Zoning Syracuse should take away the ability of the guards to get into the paint and do damage, and will limit Fair's ability to post up his man inside, but it will limit the effectiveness of Home Depot and the smurf IU guards are going to be easy to shoot over for the tall SU guards and forwards. Playing zone will just exaserbate their relative weakness rebounding...IU is a small team that struggles here. And it will make it much easier for SU's best pure scorer, James Southerland, to get good looks and do damage from the perimeter.

So either way, I think SU will have some success on offense. IU has the skill set to hurt the SU zone, and if they are smart, and continue to attack the paint, they can and will get the SU centers and forwards in deep foul trouble. That is their path to victory. If they lack discipline and continue to hoist contested 3s all game long, they could well lose.

Should be a good game. I think IU is more likely to win than Syracuse, but I give the Orange a decent chance. The best thing SU might have going for it is that I do not believe Indiana plays the clutch and grab Pittsburgh style of defense that has given SU so much trouble this season. Whatever the final score ends up, I think the style of play and the pace of play will be fast and pleasing.

I am thankful for that. Have seen far too many rock fights this season. No mas.

Been over to the HSN and started an account, seems some have been denied access here. Could have been their screen-names and such.

My guess is that SU is going to extend its zone and take the 3 point shot away from Indiana, forcing them to beat Syracuse shooting mid range jumpers and high low post plays. Guys like Home Depot and Zeller will get many opportunities to shoot jumpers from 10 to 15 feet but open 3s and good looks down low will be limited.
Good post. I think a lot will depend on if/who goes to the high post and how good they are deciding whether to shoot or pass and then find the right people. If IU hasn't seen much zone, it may take a while for whomever to gain confidence and begin to consistently make the right play. If they can't execute from the high post, it will be a challenge for them to score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom