Indiana (long) | Syracusefan.com

Indiana (long)

OrangeBlood

Starter
I don't think that I have watched a team all year besides Syracuse closer than IU. I have probably watched roughly 8-10 of their games. To compound that my boss at work is an IU grad and a die hard Hoosier fan. He talks (almost annoyingly) at length about IU hoops. I have a pretty good knowledge of this years IU team.

They are not unbeatable, but it will take an effort like vs. Louisville or vs. G'Town in MSG. Pretty much we have to play one of our best games of the year. Todays game, actually made me more concerned for Thursday. Yes, Temple almost beat them but it probably woke IU up. It seems every championship team has one game where they get a huge scare like IU did today.

Keys to our game:
-We will have to make at least 6-8 3s to have a chance.
-Brandon will have to score 15-20
- No foul trouble
-Baye/Rak have to be able to be tough inside
-Have to be under 8 turnovers/make free throws
- CJ will have to be CJ
-GET ZELLER IN FOUL TROUBLE--- this is HUGE, could be the difference. Only real post presence.

How we match up (Offensively):
I think we have a good chance to be able to score on them.
Man-to-Man:
Oladipo is a shut down defender.The biggest question is who he will guard. I would bet that they play him on Triche to shut him down. This will be the match-up to watch. It could get ugly for Brandon if he struggles early. BUT it will leave MCW/CJ with mismatches. I could also see them playing him on CJ as the offense has run through him. If that happens, MCW/Brandon will both have a massive size advantages over Ferell or Hulls. They should be able to drive and create.

If Oladipo plays on Brandon, I don't think there is anyone that can guard CJ. I think Watford is too slow/soft to guard him. To match up with our size, Sheehey will have to play a lot and will probably guard Southerland. I think that he will be able to get open off him. Rak/Baye will really struggle to score on Zeller.

They can not play their usual line up, they are just too small. Sheehey will have to play a lot more. If they do, we have to take advantage of the mismatches. A huge key to this game will be on the offensive glass. We have to hit the boards and get second chances. I think we can get a lot of second chance points. Temple dominated the glass today, we can do the same.

This is how I see them matching up in both situations:
MCW-Ferell/Hulls/Creek
Triche-Oladipo/Hulls/Creek
Fair-Watford/Oladipo/Sheehey/Holowell
Southerland-Watford/Sheehey/Holowell
Rak-Zeller/Holowell

I honestly think they will play zone. They're taking too big of a risk giving up size playing man. Attacking our zone they will need both their guards on offense so I think they will play zone to hide their size defensively. Their zone was been not very good this year. BUT our zone offense has been terrible. The key is obviously making shots, Southerland will be the key. One advantage we do have is our guards will be able to see over the top of their zone.

Whether they play, man or zone, we will have to make a lot of jump shots to win. They are not a great defensive team besides Oladipo, we should be able to score in the 60s. Like any game MCW has to be smart and run the offense. Get CJ the ball early and often.

How we matchup (Defensively):
I will lose sleep over them attacking our zone. We really have to hope they don't shoot well. Zeller on the free throw line/ Big East logo area will be the key. He can turn and face, hit the jump shot. He is a great passer and he can drive and probably draw a foul on of our bigs. I am afraid we will have no answer. We struggled with Parker and Soloman in recent games inside. Zeller is twice the player. However, I think he a tendency to look for the call and be soft, hopefully he plays that way Thursday. We really can't back up and take him away because Hulls/Watford are great shooters.

Ferell is also concerning because he maybe able to penetrate the zone with his quick feet and dish. He is fast and a great passer.

Hulls is a knockdown shooter. He hasn't been great lately but I am expecting him to be great on Thursday. I think his shoulder will be a non-factor. We will have to Key on him.

Watford will be dangerous both slashing the baseline and on the wing hitting 3s. I am terrified that we will not be able to find him and he will roam and find holes in the zone. Ferell and Zeller will be able to find him.

Oladipo is a decent shooter, but his slashing ability is what scares me. I have bad feeling we may see the baseline alley-oop early.

Sheehey/Creek/Holowell don't really scare me offensively.

Our defense has been undoubtedly great so far in the tournament. We have not seen an offensive team this good this year. Montana/Cal were jokes. They have the makeup to be able to kill us. We have to hope and pray that they do not shoot well.

We HAVE to keep them out of transition. They aren't nearly as good in the half court. If we can slow them down like Wisconsin did, we have a better chance.

Positively they struggled v. Northwestern when they played zone and that is nothing like ours. Unfortunately they have all week to prepare for us.

We are a great defensive team, they are a great offensive team. My hope is that we can slow them down and frustrate them with our zone. If we frustrate Zeller and get him off his game/in foul trouble I think we got a good chance. If he is able to do what he pleases inside we are in trouble.

As Marsh said, I think everything now is gravy. We are roughly a top 15 team so it would make sense that we lose in Sweet Sixteen. I don't think we're top 8 good but we can play as good as any team. I can't wait for Thursday!

**Sorry that I rambled in here, just tried to get all my thoughts out. Also, sorry for any grammar mistakes.

G'Orange!

Great post. I think the who Oladipo guards question is huge. It would be interesting if they play zone though. Takes away Oladipo's defensive strength.

Great post. I think the who Oladipo guards question is huge. It would be interesting if they play zone though. Takes away Oladipo's defensive strength.

Crean struggles in-game IMO. I think that JB will be able to out coach him and adjust to whatever defense they play.

Great post. Thanks. I think our team has somewhat gotten used to playing against a zone, so I'm not sure it matters either way. I've been looking forward to playing Indiana all season. I've never heard so many talking heads rave about a team so much that just hasn't deserved it. National broadcasters were comparing them to the great Indiana teams of the Scott May, Kent Benson and Quinn Buckner and were saying this years team was better than any of them. I'm glad we are playing them so we can be the team that tamed the mighty Hoosiers.

make zeller beat us, I don't want the zone collapsing on him. if he's the guy they put at the foul line then back off and make him shoot. we can't let them get open looks from 3 off of zeller double teams.

I have watched Indiana 10 times this year at least. They aren't THAT good. They can be beat on the glass. This isn't 2009 oklahoma. We cause them matchup problems. Hulls and Ferrell will not both be able to be on the court at the same time due to their lack of size, and I think their guards will struggle at the top of the zone.

Thanks for the post. I don't know IU but what I was able to see leads me to believe our guards can get into the lane as they did against Cal. I was surprised that Temple got to the rim too. We might be able to do the same. Their guards are small so I'm hoping our length will hurt their 3's though I expect them to rain them down. Zeller does concern me a lot. He can pop from the foul line. Baye is probably better able to defend him but he can muscle Baye to the hoop. He can also, as you say, pass to cutters. Undoubtedly, Cuse will have to be at the top of their game and play well all game (something that's far from a sure thing). We do offer them several matchup problems too so I'm hoping for the best.

I have watched Indiana 10 times this year at least. They aren't THAT good. They can be beat on the glass. This isn't 2009 oklahoma. We cause them matchup problems. Hulls and Ferrell will not both be able to be on the court at the same time due to their lack of size, and I think their guards will struggle at the top of the zone.

There is no Blake Griffin. I think Zeller is overrated but he is still a MAJOR threat. This team may not be great, but they are good and a in a year without any great teams they good enough to win it all.

Agree completely on their guards, that is there weakness.

I don't think that I have watched a team all year besides Syracuse closer than IU. I have probably watched roughly 8-10 of their games. To compound that my boss at work is an IU grad and a die hard Hoosier fan. He talks (almost annoyingly) at length about IU hoops. I have a pretty good knowledge of this years IU team.

They are not unbeatable, but it will take an effort like vs. Louisville or vs. G'Town in MSG. Pretty much we have to play one of our best games of the year. Todays game, actually made me more concerned for Thursday. Yes, Temple almost beat them but it probably woke IU up. It seems every championship team has one game where they get a huge scare like IU did today.

Keys to our game:
- No foul trouble
- CJ will have to be CJ
-GET ZELLER IN FOUL TROUBLE--- this is HUGE, could be the difference. Only real post presence.

Man-to-Man:
Oladipo is a shut down defender.The biggest question is who he will guard. I would bet that they play him on Triche to shut him down. This will be the match-up to watch. It could get ugly for Brandon if he struggles early. BUT it will leave MCW/CJ with mismatches. I could also see them playing him on CJ as the offense has run through him. If that happens, MCW/Brandon will both have a massive size advantages over Ferell or Hulls. They should be able to drive and create.

If Oladipo plays on Brandon, I don't think there is anyone that can guard CJ. I think Watford is too slow/soft to guard him. To match up with our size, Sheehey will have to play a lot and will probably guard Southerland. I think that he will be able to get open off him. Rak/Baye will really struggle to score on Zeller.

They can not play their usual line up, they are just too small. Sheehey will have to play a lot more. If they do, we have to take advantage of the mismatches. A huge key to this game will be on the offensive glass. We have to hit the boards and get second chances. I think we can get a lot of second chance points. Temple dominated the glass today, we can do the same.

MCW-Ferell/Hulls/Creek
Rak-Zeller/Holowell

I honestly think they will play zone. They're taking too big of a risk giving up size playing man. Attacking our zone they will need both their guards on offense so I think they will play zone to hide their size defensively. Their zone was been not very good this year. BUT our zone offense has been terrible. The key is obviously making shots, Southerland will be the key. One advantage we do have is our guards will be able to see over the top of their zone.

Whether they play, man or zone, we will have to make a lot of jump shots to win. They are not a great defensive team besides Oladipo, we should be able to score in the 60s. Like any game MCW has to be smart and run the offense. Get CJ the ball early and often.

I will lose sleep over them attacking our zone. We really have to hope they don't shoot well. Zeller on the free throw line/ Big East logo area will be the key. He can turn and face, hit the jump shot. He is a great passer and he can drive and probably draw a foul on of our bigs. I am afraid we will have no answer. We struggled with Parker and Soloman in recent games inside. Zeller is twice the player. However, I think he a tendency to look for the call and be soft, hopefully he plays that way Thursday. We really can't back up and take him away because Hulls/Watford are great shooters.

Ferell is also concerning because he maybe able to penetrate the zone with his quick feet and dish. He is fast and a great passer.

Hulls is a knockdown shooter. He hasn't been great lately but I am expecting him to be great on Thursday. I think his shoulder will be a non-factor. We will have to Key on him.

Watford will be dangerous both slashing the baseline and on the wing hitting 3s. I am terrified that we will not be able to find him and he will roam and find holes in the zone. Ferell and Zeller will be able to find him.

Oladipo is a decent shooter, but his slashing ability is what scares me. I have bad feeling we may see the baseline alley-oop early.

Our defense has been undoubtedly great so far in the tournament. We have not seen an offensive team this good this year. Montana/Cal were jokes. They have the makeup to be able to kill us. We have to hope and pray that they do not shoot well.

We HAVE to keep them out of transition. They aren't nearly as good in the half court. If we can slow them down like Wisconsin did, we have a better chance.

Positively they struggled v. Northwestern when they played zone and that is nothing like ours. Unfortunately they have all week to prepare for us.

We are a great defensive team, they are a great offensive team. My hope is that we can slow them down and frustrate them with our zone. If we frustrate Zeller and get him off his game/in foul trouble I think we got a good chance. If he is able to do what he pleases inside we are in trouble.

As Marsh said, I think everything now is gravy. We are roughly a top 15 team so it would make sense that we lose in Sweet Sixteen. I don't think we're top 8 good but we can play as good as any team. I can't wait for Thursday!

**Sorry that I rambled in here, just tried to get all my thoughts out. Also, sorry for any grammar mistakes.

G'Orange!

Great post. Totally agree on the Zeller foul trouble. I don't see our centers making that happen but guards/cj could go right at him. I also noted today that he seemed winded. Temple might be tougher to play, but this could still help us. Rak needs to body the heck out of him early.

I would just use Rak/Keita and DC2 if needed and let Zeller do his thing and see how he fares against our length and athleticism. Completely agree on not collapsing down. Zeller had trouble against an athletic Lee until the refs started calling fouls on everything. We are very good at shutting down shooters and our size and athleticism should bother their small team. If they zone us it will be a junk zone and I think we are figuring zones out anyway. Southerland could go off since hes 6'8 and 6'2 guys will be trying to check him. If they go M2M, outside of Oladipo and Zeller they have major match up issues with us. Lets say Oladipo covers MCW. Yogi Farrell or Hull is going to guard Triche? Triche should destroy them. They cant play both Yogi and Hull at the same time so that already hurts them. Sheehey will have to play alot to guard ??? CJ, I guess? Good luck with that, again CJ should destroy him. Watford will try to guard Southerland although I dont know if Watford is athletic enough to chase James around. Finally they have trouble cleaning the glass and were the best offensive rebounding team in the country.

We are an elite defensive and rebounding team. If we struggle shooting, it will be a grind out game and we very well might lose. If we're ok and are decent from the FT line, I think we win. If we shoot well combined with our defense and rebounding, I dont think anyone can beat us on those nights.

My question is who will IU put in the high post

Zeller. He can pass, shoot, and drive. I think the low post will be slashers and cutters as opposed to one big guy.

Then again, they could put Oladipo at high post and have Zeller on the block. That would also cause a lot of issues. Don't think he'd be as effective however.

Either way they have two guys who could be effective in there.

Zeller. He can pass, shoot, and drive. I think the low post will be slashers and cutters as opposed to one big guy.

Then again, they could put Oladipo at high post and have Zeller on the block. That would also cause a lot of issues. Don't think he'd be as effective however.

Either way they have two guys who could be effective in there.
According to the IU board they get blocked alot? I could see alot of Zeller at the high post passing down to Watford who will have to challenge our shot blockers coming from the weak side.

I would just use Rak/Keita and DC2 if needed and let Zeller do his thing and see how he fares against our length and athleticism. Completely agree on not collapsing down. Zeller had trouble against an athletic Lee until the refs started calling fouls on everything. We are very good at shutting down shooters and our size and athleticism should bother their small team. If they zone us it will be a junk zone and I think we are figuring zones out anyway. Southerland could go off since hes 6'8 and 6'2 guys will be trying to check him. If they go M2M, outside of Oladipo and Zeller they have major match up issues with us. Lets say Oladipo covers MCW. Yogi Farrell or Hull is going to guard Triche? Triche should destroy them. They cant play both Yogi and Hull at the same time so that already hurts them. Sheehey will have to play alot to guard ??? CJ, I guess? Good luck with that, again CJ should destroy him. Watford will try to guard Southerland although I dont know if Watford is athletic enough to chase James around. Finally they have trouble cleaning the glass and were the best offensive rebounding team in the country.

We are an elite defensive and rebounding team. If we struggle shooting, it will be a grind out game and we very well might lose. If we're ok and are decent from the FT line, I think we win. If we shoot well combined with our defense and rebounding, I dont think anyone can beat us on those nights.

Great Post. I as you said I think we match up well offensively. Defensively, I am concerned. Haven't faced a big as talented as Zeller as year.

I see them letting Oladipo guard CJ. If our guards have difficulty getting the ball to CJ, that means they, along with JS will have to hit from outside. Only then might Oladipo switch to guarding MCW or Triche.
We will have to play as well on defense as we have all year. It all boils down to us having an offense like we've shown against Louisville or Arkansas.
Also agree about getting Zeller in foul trouble. He is a very good ball handler for a big man and that in itself can cause us problems.

Great post. Totally agree on the Zeller foul trouble. I don't see our centers making that happen but guards/cj could go right at him. I also noted today that he seemed winded. Temple might be tougher to play, but this could still help us. Rak needs to body the heck out of him early.

After watching the Temple game I don't think getting Zeller in foul trouble will happen when he is on defense. When they are on offense he drops his shoulder into defenders like clockwork and we need to sell that contact to the refs. The only way he'll get into any sort of foul trouble is if 2 or more are offensive fouls.

According to the the IU prognosticators, this is one of our "poorer" zone teams on D that Boeheim has coached and that they will dissect so completely we'll have to go man2Man...

Sadly, CrazyCrean knows the basics about our zone and the fact that we never play man than their fans do, obviously...

XLI

2 star recruit
  • photo-thumb-985.jpg
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
    bullet_black.png
  • 290 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis
Posted Today, 02:41 PM
The best way to spread and disect a Zone is quick passes and hitting outside shots. Either quick ball reversal to keep the Zone always on the move or Yogi playing his usual "joystick" PG by keeping things in motion at all times. Sounds cliche, but you almost have to go into a Zone Offense as well. 3 wings and 2 bigs (1 of the bigs can be a floater, probably Wat). If you can dribble drive and pierce the Zone then that's where you can open up all the options (post dish, outside shots, or complete the drive). Getting "behind the Zone" is the trick.

The thing about a Zone is it is always reacting. If you can try to stay ahead of it by rapidly switching court focus and finding the pockets between the Wing and Post defenders then you can methodically handle a Zone. If you can't hit your outside shots you just fuel the comfort factor that a Zone is going for. The idea of "breaking the Zone" is key. You want Syracuse to eventually feel that the Zone isn't working and have to alter because if not they will do the same thing over and over until you can force them to change it. The Zone is a beautiful thing if you can run it well... but if an offense can expose it, it turns into a mess quickly.

Zeller needs to be a Post Monster (rebounds especially if we rely on outside shots) and our usual deep threats have to be on point (Hulls, Wat, Will, Vic, and even Yogi). It's really not rocket science and IU actually matches up well against it. However, if they play like they did against Temple then hold on to your seat and hide the breakables.

This is a formidable Cuse team, but this isn't the best team they've had to execute the Zone that Boeheim likes to run. IU knows the challenge, they just need to execute against it.

If we have under 8 to's, we win by 10.

Im looking to keep to's under our season average (13). Lets keep it reasonable here.

If we have under 8 to's, we win by 10.

Im looking to keep to's under our season average (13). Lets keep it reasonable here.

I think that's the biggest key to this game. Indiana is a smart team that struggles against teams that don't turn the ball over. If we can limit dumb mistakes, then we have a great chance to pull this out.

I think that's the biggest key to this game. Indiana is a smart team that struggles against teams that don't turn the ball over. If we can limit dumb mistakes, then we have a great chance to pull this out.

That means NO jump/180/pass-hucks in mid-air from MCW...

It would appear that JB and crew are successfully weening him off this horrendous habit (tho he still like to sneak in one or two a game... as opposed to games earlier in season with 5-6 per game that would typically result in 4 TO's)

According to the IU board they get blocked alot? I could see alot of Zeller at the high post passing down to Watford who will have to challenge our shot blockers coming from the weak side.

i see it opposite. watford in high post dishing to zeller. was reading iu board and they said zeller has been reluctant to take 8 to 10 footers recently. not sure if the 15 footer is in his repetoire yet but not 100% on that.

[Cody Zeller] is seven feet tall!
James Arthur Boeheim: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were [on our team], he'd consume the [Hoosiers] with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
[Syracuse Orange laughs]

Keys to our game:
- No foul trouble
- CJ will have to be CJ

Man-to-Man:

MCW-Ferell/Hulls/Creek
Rak-Zeller/Holowell

G'Orange!

I don't think they'll use oladipo on triche. That would be a best case scenario for us, since he is our most inconsistent player. I think it's far more likely that he splits time between covering Mcw or fair, depending on who's hotter. I think their little guards are going to have trouble keeping us out of the lane. Indiana also looks weak on the defensive boards. So long as we get offensive boards and the guards get to the rim, I think we'll be ok. Zeller is going to get his calls. I just hope they don't come too early in the game. I think Coleman is going to see some floor time ' I could see him being an important contributor

make zeller beat us, I don't want the zone collapsing on him. if he's the guy they put at the foul line then back off and make him shoot. we can't let them get open looks from 3 off of zeller double teams.
Good observation. You have to give up something with them. And if we back off and allow Zeller to shoot 2's from the logo, that will be far better than collapsing on him and having him dime every LR chucker on their team (many).

So if we choose who goes off, better Z than Seehey or Hull.

Great Post. I as you said I think we match up well offensively. Defensively, I am concerned. Haven't faced a big as talented as Zeller as year.
the guy is not larry bird

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom