Injury Excuse | Syracusefan.com

Injury Excuse

anomander

Living Legend
Needs to stop. We are the walking wounded every year, we can't keep using the excuse. Fix the problem. I know Hicks is highly respected and all, but What is going on? This isn't normal. This is year after year. Either way everyone is banged up 10 weeks into the season. We aren't the only ones who are hurt. Fitness is part of the program. Recruiting, and developing depth is another part of building the program. Being injured isn't a reason to give anyone a pass. Boston College is winning with 73 scholarship players. Find a way to get it done, or get someone else in there.

Needs to stop. We are the walking wounded every year, we can't keep using the excuse. Fix the problem. I know Hicks is highly respected and all, but What is going on? This isn't normal. This is year after year. Either way everyone is banged up 10 weeks into the season. We aren't the only ones who are hurt. Fitness is part of the program. Recruiting, and developing depth is another part of building the program. Being injured isn't a reason to give anyone a pass. Boston College is winning with 73 scholarship players. Find a way to get it done, or get someone else in there.
It is an excuse, Its hard to win football games down so many players...

You are right needs to be fixed however not every team is down to almost burning red shirts on there O line alone...

anomander said:

No way. No bye week, unusually high amount of injuries - we are worn out.

It is an excuse, Its hard to win football games down so many players...

You are right needs to be fixed however not every team is down to almost burning red shirts on there O line alone...

We had all 2nd stringers who filled in on the O-line. Nobody that played today was a 3rd stringer. There can't be that much of a drop off. Emerich has been in the program for 3 years now. Palmer and Lasker (plus 1 year JC) have been here for 2.

We had all 2nd stringers who filled in on the O-line. Nobody that played today was a 3rd stringer. There can't be that much of a drop off. Emerich has been in the program for 3 years now. Palmer and Lasker (plus 1 year JC) have been here for 2.
We are a program with little to no depth.

Injuries + depth = loss to NC State at home.

I had my whole rant written out and that disappeared with the click of a random key.

Guess I'll sum it up or just ramble off some more since I need to vent still. I can't get over this one.

I don't blame injuries at all, surprised anyone is. Sure it would have been nice to not be so banged up and the game would have been different. But, this was our game and we blew it. Fall on the fumble, game is probably over. Don't run a double reverse flea flicker from midfield or ever. Oh yeah, then the genius decision to punt from the 37 after a nice pickup on the 3rd down draw following that atrocious 1st down call. But, most of all, we came out and had them on their heels and were actually getting a push from the OL. They had to adjust in the 2nd half after we made some down field plays and they couldn't just focus on the run, along with the fact that their defense is terrible. We still had complete control even after the mistakes and the usual terrible play calling, game management, and general sense that the staff is lost.

Their D was ready to fold and on the retreat, so what do we do but pass it across the middle where AJ was struggling the most. After the kid got us right back in the game and we had all the momentum. Our defense helped, of course. But, with one play the game was over, just like it would have been had we made one play, just one, or had done anything but throw an INT. All on the coaches to me. Stick to what was working at the time. Adonis was ready to bulldoze right through the D and reach pay dirt. At least throw to the sideline if you want to take a shot. AJ had no accuracy or touch across the middle all day. We're against a terrible run D and we let the true frosh throw 42 times while the RB's get 24 carries combined.

I don't see how you don't just run the ball there on 1st down when you're in FG range, especially after another nice sideline throw to West on 3rd down followed by two quick runs for 5+ by Adonis and Erv to get the 1st down. You have the D on the retreat, not putting up much resistance and we put AJ in a situation that isn't conducive to him being successful. That's all she wrote. The team was done, after having all the momentum and on their way to at least an 8 point lead with no momentum shift even with just a FG or even a damn miss and the score stays the same, it was suddenly over after dominating the 3rd quarter.

I don't get the coaches, so hard to watch the same mistakes week after week and incompetence. Here's to hoping for 3 straight wins because this team can do it, but it may have to be in spite of the coaches.

OP is correct. People want to blame injuries so they don't feel bad about the state of the program but A) Injuries are part of the game, and B) We looked like this before the injuries.

Either recruit tougher players, develop better depth or get a new S&C crew. Stop blaming injuries.

8 sacks from a line that has protected very well this year. Against arguably the WORST defensive line in the ACC!!! Guys, we don't have 3 linemen that can get out of their STANCE at this point. I understand the frustration but don't tell me that this insane OL injury situation didn't dominate this game yesterday. I'm shocked Long played as well as he did with ZERO time to look down field.

It is only an excuse if it is being offered by the coaching staff and players as a reason for our losses. I haven't heard them using injuries as an excuse, but I don't live in CNY so maybe I'm missing something.

When a fan like me says injuries have impacted our ability to compete -- along with a killer schedule, instability and inexperience in the coaching ranks, etc. -- it is being offered as an explanation. Who the heck wants to excuse losses? We all want to win, but when you are playing in a P5 league and your OL is in the shape ours is in chances of winning much of anything is slim unless the other guy is equally banged up.

8 sacks from a line that has protected very well this year. Against arguably the WORST defensive line in the ACC!!! Guys, we don't have 3 linemen that can get out of their STANCE at this point. I understand the frustration but don't tell me that this insane OL injury situation didn't dominate this game yesterday. I'm shocked Long played as well as he did with ZERO time to look down field.

Develop depth. Your second string shouldn't be so bad we can't function as a team. You are going to have injuries throughout the season, especially on the offensive line. I think people will be surprised to see how many other teams are playing with reserve offensive lineman at this point of the season.

Develop depth. Your second string shouldn't be so bad we can't function as a team. You are going to have injuries throughout the season, especially on the offensive line. I think people will be surprised to see how many other teams are playing with reserve offensive lineman at this point of the season.
College Football is the ultimate team game. You can't throw a Lebron, KD or Carmelo out there. You can't own games with a Brady or Manning. You can't dominate the other team with a Madison Baumgartner. You need coaching, talent and depth. We have bad coaching, mediocre talent and below average depth and/or the depth isn't being coached up.

This reminds me of the old Steve Martin skit where he did a fake infomercial about how to be a millionaire and not pay any taxes.

Step one: get a million dollars...

Last year's recruiting class was the best one we've had in forever. Several of those true frosh have been rushed out onto the field this year. Others are redshirting, and will hopefully prove capable of bolstering depth down the road. But we need classes like that every year to take the next step. To put that in perspective, we've had ONE class like that in more than 10 years. We look to be following that up with a solid class of 2015, provided we can hold onto them. But generally speaking, its a crapshoot as to whether true frosh are "ready" to contribute or not.

I'd like to believe that if we can string together 3-4 classes in a row like that, depth and talent overall will be upgraded. We're hopefully on our way, but we aren't there yet. Clearly.

I agree. Every team has significant injuries at this time of the season. That is why your depth has to be good. We have depth. We aren't playing 3rd stringers or walk ons to my knowledge.

I agree. Every team has significant injuries at this time of the season. That is why your depth has to be good. We have depth. We aren't playing 3rd stringers or walk ons to my knowledge.

Foy and Robinson are banged up, so we had to play at least 2 back-ups.

But everybody knows that 2nd stringers are just as good as starters, right?

After all, Lou Alexander was just as good as Justin Pugh a few years ago. ;)

I saw 2-3 top 10 teams with oline issues yesterday that was all the accouncers talked about and how they were struggling. ask FSU how the feel with the backup center playing and getting blown up all night and yes we had a 3rd string tackle playing because our backup tackle was playing guard because our backup guards were both hurt and lasker was playing guard. in addition to our backup center. its one thing to play with backups but when the oline cant practice either you start to see issues.

When Alabama has 3 or 4 out their top 5 offensive linemen injured they are not contending for a national title.

When we have 3 or 4 of our top 5 linemen injured we are not contending for a bowl.

Take Foy, Robinson, and Trudo off the line last year and tell me what you have.

Better yet, take OrangeXtreme's point and keep Pugh out the entire year in favor of Lou Alexander and tell me 2012 ends the same way.

As a program we are not at the point yet where we can sustain these types of injuries.

Reactions: CIL
Foy and Robinson are banged up, so we had to play at least 2 back-ups.

But everybody knows that 2nd stringers are just as good as starters, right?

After all, Lou Alexander was just as good as Justin Pugh a few years ago. ;)

There really shouldn't be that much of a drop off though. I mean, Foy has been out awhile at this point. Now you have to go to your 7th/8th OL. And I get that they're worse. But what we saw yesterday was as bad as it gets. Not like we were facing Warren Sapp and Russell Maryland out there.

It's not an excuse it's reality. Find me another team that has as many injuries and players from the 2 deep who are out.

Maybe the football team could use more than 2 full-time trainers and the current facilities, which while improved are behind comparable schools.... but hey DG is busy getting that women's lax locker room project completed.

It's not an excuse it's reality. Find me another team that has as many injuries and players from the 2 deep who are out.

So are excuses for 2011, 2013, and 2014. Something is wrong then.

And thats it.

It's strange that BC now all a sudden has a qb even though he was a bum last year at Florida. What they are doing with 73 scholarship players is pretty amazing.

It's strange that BC now all a sudden has a qb even though he was a bum last year at Florida. What they are doing with 73 scholarship players is pretty amazing.
Is BC the gold standard?

I recall us beating them last year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom