Injury Excuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Injury Excuse

Is BC the gold standard?

I recall us beating them last year...

I would take 6-3, a signature win and trending in the right direction right now. Especially since they were supposed to be in a rebuilding season with 73 scholarship players. If you were comparing Addazzio vs Shafer both in year 2 of their tenure, it looks like Addazzio in a landslide. Pretty amazing considering where both programs were when they each took over.

I would take 6-3, a signature win and trending in the right direction right now. Especially since they were supposed to be in a rebuilding season with 73 scholarship players. If you were comparing Addazzio vs Shafer both in year 2 of their tenure, it looks like Addazzio in a landslide. Pretty amazing considering where both programs were when they each took over.
So frustrating. If BC continues to move ahead of us we are in trouble especially as you said where both programs were a few years ago...

Agree. They have done a great job. But take that win against USC and nothing really stands out to me on there schedule.

If BC was starting a third string QB and running with the 2s at WR and interior OL their season might look a little different.

I agree that we always seem to have more than our share of injuries, but to not expect a drop off in talent and execution with all the new faces is unrealistic.

Agree. They have done a great job. But take that win against USC and nothing really stands out to me on there schedule.

They have been winning ACC games. 2 td+ win over the same NC ST team we just lost to, and winning at Virginia Tech.

Again all this in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

If BC was starting a third string QB and running with the 2s at WR and interior OL their season might look a little different.

I agree that we always seem to have more than our share of injuries, but to not expect a drop off in talent and execution with all the new faces is unrealistic.

They have 73 kids on scholarship before injuries. I would say they started out with a pretty big disadvantage don't you? Their quarterback didn't arrive on campus until July.

They have been winning ACC games. 2 td+ win over the same NC ST team we just lost to, and winning at Virginia Tech.

Again all this in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year.
We will see what happens when Cuse plays them.

funny, when we lose we use the injuries as an excuse, yet when we beat teams that have lost KEY players to injuries, those injuries are rarely mentioned.

Our 6 wins last year, how many of those teams we beat were missing key players...

Md was missing their QB and Receiver right?
BC was missing their RB right?

We will see what happens when Cuse plays them.

It really doesn't even matter what happens in that 1 game. In a whole we seem to be heading in opposite directions.

anomander said:
So is everyone else. We have 17 more scholarship players then BC. We have a 17 man head start, why aren't they worn out with the physical brand of football they play?

It's not numbers. It's: are your best guys playing? (Our defense has its best players playing and are playing well, no?)

Are best linemen aren't playing and our QB situation is a lot less experienced.

You're expecting too much given what we are up against. You can call them excuses or reasons or facts. Whatever you like.

If BC had 70% of their line out and were starting their 3rd stringer at QB - all in game 8 of a 9 game stretch, they would be struggling too.

longislandcuse said:
OP is correct. People want to blame injuries so they don't feel bad about the state of the program but A) Injuries are part of the game, and B) We looked like this before the injuries. Either recruit tougher players, develop better depth or get a new S&C crew. Stop blaming injuries.

Dumb. We gave up like 6 sacks in 7 games vs top ten D's - and gave up 8 with a patchwork Oline and an 18 year old... And almost won.

Hysterics are over the top around here.

It's not numbers. It's: are your best guys playing? (Our defense has its best players playing and are playing well, no?)

Are best linemen aren't playing and our QB situation is a lot less experienced.

You're expecting too much given what we are up against. You can call them excuses or reasons or facts. Whatever you like.

If BC had 70% of their line out and were starting their 3rd stringer at QB - all in game 8 of a 9 game stretch, they would be struggling too.

So then last year we were basically a 4 win team since we went up against a Maryland and NCST teams that were decimated by injuries. Then we might as well throw BC in there who was missing their Heisman trophy contending running back. Hell Maryland beat us earlier this year missing their 4 top linebackers. Then we beat CMU who was missing their all conference running back. Everyone was all excited about "keeping it close" with Clemson who was missing their stud qb. FSU sat their top WR AND RB against us. Louisville's Davante Parker was missing when we played them. He will be the first WR selected this season, not to mention their starting qb was out. Injuries are a part of football. They happen to everyone.

anomander said:

Key word: "looks" ... If you wanted to even up the deal, you play his 3rd stringer and remove 2 of his top offensive weapons and 70% of his line and then don't give him a bye for 9 weeks.

Classic apples to oranges.

anomander said:
They have 73 kids on scholarship before injuries. I would say they started out with a pretty big disadvantage don't you? Their quarterback didn't arrive on campus until July.

That sounds like a Marrone excuse. You think players 74-85 would contribute much for them?

Reactions: CIL
anomander said:

They started that way - and without looking, I can say they haven't lost what we have. They also started with a better QB.

Also: they have as bad a loss on their schedule as we do, probably worse.

orangeinjersey said:
funny, when we lose we use the injuries as an excuse, yet when we beat teams that have lost KEY players to injuries, those injuries are rarely mentioned. Our 6 wins last year, how many of those teams we beat were missing key players... Md was missing their QB and Receiver right? BC was missing their RB right?

Not true. Not one mention by media or posters here of the wake game last season without mentioning their stud receiver being lost.

Axe basically said we got lucky. Or we kicked their a$$es (my version).

They started that way - and without looking, I can say they haven't lost what we have. They also started with a better QB.

Also: they have as bad a loss on their schedule as we do, probably worse.

God bless you man. I don't know how you can keep finding positives, but more power to you.

But the fact is when we were fully healthy in week 1 vs an FCS team we looked like stuff then. What's the excuse for that week?

If we beat them 2 times in 2 years one could beg to differ.
It really doesn't even matter what happens in that 1 game. In a whole we seem to be heading in opposite directions.

anomander said:

Yeah - same thing last year - everyone gave them credit for being within 2 TD's of FSU. Popular opinion was they they were trending up; meanwhile we finished higher in the division and beat them on the field.

We had all 2nd stringers who filled in on the O-line. Nobody that played today was a 3rd stringer. There can't be that much of a drop off. Emerich has been in the program for 3 years now. Palmer and Lasker (plus 1 year JC) have been here for 2.
Of course there's going to be a big drop off on most schools with second string players Especially I would say ok the offensive line. There's not a lot of quality 6'5"" 300 lb OL in the world my friends. In fact there's not a lot of people that size period

He is also a 5th year senior who was recruited to Florida for a reason.

I agree with your OP. We have not played a solid offensive game all year, even before injuries. Using injuries as an excuse would work if we were winning earlier in the season. If it was one year, fine, but it seems to be they same story over and over.

Of course there's going to be a big drop off on most schools with second string players Especially I would say ok the offensive line. There's not a lot of quality 6'5"" 300 lb OL in the world my friends. In fact there's not a lot of people that size period

Go down our schedule this year, and look at who missed games for the opposing teams. You would be amazed at the amount of talent that hasn't played against us this year. You could make up an all-star team with it.

DeShaun Watson
Mario Pender
Thomas Rawls
Rashod Greene
DaVante Parker

That just there is 4 future 1st rounders. There are plenty more that i listed above.

anomander said:
So then last year we were basically a 4 win team since we went up against a Maryland and NCST teams that were decimated by injuries. Then we might as well throw BC in there who was missing their Heisman trophy contending running back. Hell Maryland beat us earlier this year missing their 4 top linebackers. Then we beat CMU who was missing their all conference running back. Everyone was all excited about "keeping it close" with Clemson who was missing their stud qb. FSU sat their top WR AND RB against us. Louisville's Davante Parker was missing when we played them. He will be the first WR selected this season, not to mention their starting qb was out. Injuries are a part of football. They happen to everyone.

Are you saying we didn't play well enough to win in our wins and bad enough to lose in our losses?

A win is a win. A loss a loss. Sometimes you win when the other team is injured and sometimes you lose when you are snakebit. It doesn't invalidate the result - but it does help explain it. If you write it off completely, it's your standards that are the problem.

For what it's worth, I think it's equal parts injuries at key spots and the 9 game stretch without a bye. It's probably also coaching and/or talent, etc. Anyone pointing to one thing is being silly.

anomander said:
God bless you man. I don't know how you can keep finding positives, but more power to you. But the fact is when we were fully healthy in week 1 vs an FCS team we looked like stuff then. What's the excuse for that week?

We played like stuff and didn't respect our opponant. :)

Are you saying we didn't play well enough to win in our wins and bad enough to lose in our losses?

A win is a win. A loss a loss. Sometimes you win when the other team is injured and sometimes you lose when you are snakebit. It doesn't invalidate the result - but it does help explain it. If you write it off completely, it's your standards that are the problem.

For what it's worth, I think it's equal parts injuries at key spots and the 9 game stretch without a bye. It's probably also coaching and/or talent, etc. Anyone pointing to one thing is being silly.

Our problems are so many I don't know where to start. I actually think that's more alarming. If it were 1 thing, let's say injuries, or defense it would be a little more settling since you could sit back and say ok this is where we need to improve. But are breakdowns have been so scattered, game to game, it definitely has me starting to look in a direction.

Let's examine.

Villanova - In all I think most would agree, a pretty poor performance (and this is week 1 when we are fully healthy). I will give offense an excuse since Hunt got ejected, but we also had a special teams breakdown including a punt return and missed field goals. I'll blame ST's in this one, even though their qb killed us.

CMU - Defense was outstanding. Offense was good, but showed us signs of what would come with our failure to score inside the red zone, settling for 3 field goals against a severely over matched opponent.

Maryland - Defense got lit up. Got hurt by big plays. Turnovers also a huge problem.

Notre Dame - Defense was good in there severely bend not break philosophy. Offense was totally inept.

Louisville - Offense was putrid. Defense got beat by a 2nd string Freshman qb who was also missing their all-american WR

FSU - Defense couldn't get a stop against their 2nd string skill position guys.

Wake - Dominated defensively, but it was offenses turn to struggle once again inside the red zone.

Clemson - Defense was great, but offense couldn't do much.

NC ST - Offenses

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom