Injury Excuse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Injury Excuse

They have 73 kids on scholarship before injuries. I would say they started out with a pretty big disadvantage don't you? Their quarterback didn't arrive on campus until July.

Tyler Murphy was there for spring ball I'm pretty sure and he also threw about 200 games passes at Florida. It's not like this kid was green.

Tyler Murphy was there for spring ball I'm pretty sure and he also threw about 200 games passes at Florida. It's not like this kid was green.

Did you watch him at UF last year? He was awful. I was happy he transferred to BC.

winning at Virginia tech is no big deal this year as they have tanked since beating ohio state

Go down our schedule this year, and look at who missed games for the opposing teams. You would be amazed at the amount of talent that hasn't played against us this year. You could make up an all-star team with it.

DeShaun Watson
Mario Pender
Thomas Rawls
Rashod Greene
DaVante Parker

That just there is 4 future 1st rounders. There are plenty more that i listed above.

greene played against us

BC is the gold standard? They will be 6-5 heading into last game as they have to play Louisville and FSU before playing us, with a bye between Louisville and fsu

BC is the gold standard? They will be 6-5 heading into last game as they have to play Louisville and FSU before playing us, with a bye between Louisville and fsu

Should I compare us to Clemson instead?

anomander said:
Our problems are so many I don't know where to start. I actually think that's more alarming. If it were 1 thing, let's say injuries, or defense it would be a little more settling since you could sit back and say ok this is where we need to improve. But are breakdowns have been so scattered, game to game, it definitely has me starting to look in a direction. Let's examine. Villanova - In all I think most would agree, a pretty poor performance (and this is week 1 when we are fully healthy). I will give offense an excuse since Hunt got ejected, but we also had a special teams breakdown including a punt return and missed field goals. I'll blame ST's in this one, even though their qb killed us. CMU - Defense was outstanding. Offense was good, but showed us signs of what would come with our failure to score inside the red zone, settling for 3 field goals against a severely over matched opponent. Maryland - Defense got lit up. Got hurt by big plays. Turnovers also a huge problem. Notre Dame - Defense was good in there severely bend not break philosophy. Offense was totally inept. Louisville - Offense was putrid. Defense got beat by a 2nd string Freshman qb who was also missing their all-american WR FSU - Defense couldn't get a stop against their 2nd string skill position guys. Wake - Dominated defensively, but it was offenses turn to struggle once again inside the red zone. Clemson - Defense was great, but offense couldn't do much. NC ST - Offenses

Right. That's my point. It's a lot of things. Injuries, inexperience at QB, change of OC, talent, coaching, etc.

But, not one of those is so bad that they alone are the reason for losing. We've been close - but I felt - for the first time this season that they looked worn down and clearly AJ had a very "talented freshman" like game at the wrong time. This game happens in Sept and we win 8 out of 10.

Did you watch him at UF last year? He was awful. I was happy he transferred to BC.

He looked good at times. But maybe the problem is the clown show head coach there.

Serious question, who is responsible for tracking this stuff, analyzing it, and making corrections where need be? The team doctor? The S&C staff? At what point does the AD or chancellor hire a consulting firm to come in and sort out what is happening, because the in-house brain trust doesn't seem to have a handle on it.

Could be we are simply getting undersized guys whose bodies are being pushed to their limits, and they break easier than the more blue chip types.

They need to start training our players like Navy SEALS. 60 minutes inspired my post.

They need to start training our players like Navy SEALS. 60 minutes inspired my post.

Great. We'd have maybe 20 guys left after Hell Week. :eek:

That sounds like a Marrone excuse. You think players 74-85 would contribute much for them?

I don't think you're looking it the right way. They have a true freshman class this year who would typically represent contributors #74-85 on a full roster. For them, those are likely contributors #62-73.

Pretty impressive what they've accomplished with the numbers. Their defense is playing well, they are running the ball. Their passing game isn't great, but Murphy is enough of a threat that it helps loosen things up downfield.

As I keep saying, should they lose him (and I'm surprised given how much of the offense he is that he hasn't been hurt yet), then there is little excuse for losing to them. With him, I don't see us winning there.

Needs to stop. We are the walking wounded every year, we can't keep using the excuse. Fix the problem. I know Hicks is highly respected and all, but What is going on? This isn't normal. This is year after year. Either way everyone is banged up 10 weeks into the season. We aren't the only ones who are hurt. Fitness is part of the program. Recruiting, and developing depth is another part of building the program. Being injured isn't a reason to give anyone a pass. Boston College is winning with 73 scholarship players. Find a way to get it done, or get someone else in there.

I don't necessarily think anyone is using it as an excuse, but to deny that injuries haven't hurt this team would be plain silly. It hurts, no matter what is going on at Chestnut Hill. You would be hard pressed to find a successful team losing QB 1 and 2, WR 2 and 3, and 3 of 5 OL for a prolonged period of time. I'm not so sure how good BC would be right now it that were the case.

Now, if our depth were better and we were bringing in better players, maybe the drop off wouldn't be as severe. That too is a problem. I'm not sure this coaching staff is the staff that will continue what Marone started, but then again, it's really tough to evaluate them based upon the players they are throwing out there.

I don't necessarily think anyone is using it as an excuse, but to deny that injuries haven't hurt this team would be plain silly. It hurts, no matter what is going on at Chestnut Hill. You would be hard pressed to find a successful team losing QB 1 and 2, WR 2 and 3, and 3 of 5 OL for a prolonged period of time. I'm not so sure how good BC would be right now it that were the case.

Now, if our depth were better and we were bringing in better players, maybe the drop off wouldn't be as severe. That too is a problem. I'm not sure this coaching staff is the staff that will continue what Marone started, but then again, it's really tough to evaluate them based upon the players they are throwing out there.
This is a historic year for damage to the OL. I don't have the injury stats right in front of me, but I doubt we could have survived this even during the McNabb or Graves years. IMO saying that we should have backups that can absorb everything that has happened to our line this year is saying that we should have better personnel right now than we have ever had starting with the '87 resurgence. Which is silly.

I would assume that the staff would know that nobody outside our top 6 offensive lineman could play, so I guess my question would be why did we only bring in 1 tackle, and 1 guard last class? What in the world are we going to do next year when we lose Hickey, and Miller? It's not exactly like help is on the way. The guys that were playing Saturday are the guys that are going to be playing next season.

Let's hope Ward and Roberts will be ready to contribute next season

And to me the big reason they chose to play at SU is that chance to play asap. This team hasn't had an injury but, it's been an Ebola type thing. It isn't an excuse it is a fact. Again as many have pointed out not the only factor in being 3-6 but sure as hell a big one, especially in an area (the ol-line) where they could least afford to be hit that hard.

I would assume that the staff would know that nobody outside our top 6 offensive lineman could play, so I guess my question would be why did we only bring in 1 tackle, and 1 guard last class? What in the world are we going to do next year when we lose Hickey, and Miller? It's not exactly like help is on the way. The guys that were playing Saturday are the guys that are going to be playing next season.

Lets not forget that Kyle Knapp was ruled out in the spring, after the recruiting class closed. Big depth hit before the season even started..