Interesting season so far | Syracusefan.com

Interesting season so far

shandeezy7

Living Legend
As we're just across the halfway point on the season, it's been an interesting one to date. We have no real quality wins (Oregon could end up that way, but they were shorthanded when we played them), no real bad losses (although that Virginia one looks worse by the day, especially how they lost it) and we have yet to lose a game at home.

What interests me the most, however, is that basically every single game we have played has been a blowout. 10 of our 12 wins have been by double digits (and another by 9 points) while all 5 of our losses has been by 15+ points. The only actual close game at the end was the massive comeback win against Colgate that we just squeaked out at the end. I don't really know what to do with this information - perhaps it's just a symptom of how the game is played these days and there just appears to be fewer close games across the sport. Anyway, it's an intriguing aspect to me of how the season has played out so far.

As we're just across the halfway point on the season, it's been an interesting one to date. We have no real quality wins (Oregon could end up that way, but they were shorthanded when we played them), no real bad losses (although that Virginia one looks worse by the day, especially how they lost it) and we have yet to lose a game at home.

What interests me the most, however, is that basically every single game we have played has been a blowout. 10 of our 12 wins have been by double digits (and another by 9 points) while all 5 of our losses has been by 15+ points. The only actual close game at the end was the massive comeback win against Colgate that we just squeaked out at the end. I don't really know what to do with this information - perhaps it's just a symptom of how the game is played these days and there just appears to be fewer close games across the sport. Anyway, it's an intriguing aspect to me of how the season has played out so far.
Oregon, PITT (road), LSU are games anyone can lose. @UNC, @ Virginia, @ Duke, Tenn and Zags are games almost everyone would lose.

We have 3 road/neutral wins. That's something.

We have 3 road/neutral wins. That's something.

It’s something, sure. Not enough to get you in the tournament on its own, but something. Not that it adds much value at all, but why does the Chaminade game not count as a neutral win? I know they are D2, but it counts as a regular season game so why doesn’t it count as a neutral win?

Oregon, PITT (road), LSU are games anyone can lose. @UNC, @ Virginia, @ Duke, Tenn and Zags are games almost everyone would lose.

Meh, my point wasn’t about how many wins/losses we have, but how we have won and lost those games.

All three of those wins were solid wins (and we played great in them), but Oregon was down key guys and Pitt and LSU are likely NIT teams at best. On the flip side, we have been demolished in all 5 of our losses (against 5 (4?) exceptional teams, I know) and looked completely non-competitive in the second half of all of those games.

I want to say we’re a middling team, but we seem to beat up what I view as peer level teams right now, so maybe we’re a step above that. I guess we’ll find out more through the rest of the ACC schedule.

Who honestly can say they are disappointed with where the record is at this point in the first year? 12-5 and losses to teams they should lose to (not blown out but yes should lose). Beating pitt twice is big and winning by double digits In 10 of the games (thanks Op for posting that) has me quite encouraged. If they woulda got smacked at pitt, the fire alarm goes off. But it was actually the opposite. There are so many winnable games coming up. If anyone asked us would we take 12-5, 17 games in, there isn’t or shouldn’t be anyone that said they wouldn’t sign up for that. I didn’t think they would have a chance to win 20 games this year. And they have really good chance at that if not more.

Who honestly can say they are disappointed with where the record is at this point in the first year? 12-5 and losses to teams they should lose to (not blown out but yes should lose). Beating pitt twice is big and winning by double digits In 10 of the games (thanks Op for posting that) has me quite encouraged. If they woulda got smacked at pitt, the fire alarm goes off. But it was actually the opposite. There are so many winnable games coming up. If anyone asked us would we take 12-5, 17 games in, there isn’t or shouldn’t be anyone that said they wouldn’t sign up for that. I didn’t think they would have a chance to win 20 games this year. And they have really good chance at that if not more.

Nice post. And let's remember, three or four games in, some of us were wondering if they'd win 12 games all season.

Agree 100%

One other way to put it, would anyone expect a better record if JB was coach with this roster? The mix of stinkers/blowouts is an emotional roller coaster, but the overall record is absolutely respectable

I had us at 21-10 for the Iggy predictions, and that still looks possible. When I made that prediction we didn't know Westry was hurt either.

These next two games will be crucial for having a shot at dancing. While it won't be the end of the world if we barely miss the bubble, it will be good for the brand if we make it.

So refreshing to hear a reasonable, positive take as opposed to the world is falling, we suck, fire Red after every loss take. Thank you. Agree 1000%.

And as a team (players & Coaches) they have bounced back very well from their beatdowns.

the recruiting rankings of the players on this roster are pretty high, for the most part. the talent is there (with a few holes on the roster)

the only thing that rankles is that the losses have been decimations...which really hasnt been necessary. somehow the team folds easier than a wet envelope once an opponent lands a body blow.

but yeah 12-5 is pretty good. I just dont agree with the "should lose to" thing.

Gonzaga is 12-5 too...they lost to santa clara.

UVA is 12-5 with a bunch of losses to worse teams than SU, imo

Duke is good but they have some bad losses as well. etc

those games should not be automatic losses.

I dont think this team "should lose" to almost anyone...despite the blowouts.

the weirdest thing about the season so far is the line between "definitely beat" and "certainly get blown out by" is so small and rather "highly ranked". ...if that makes sense. to easily beat all quad 2, 3,4 and getting thrashed by quad 1s...its weird and unusual...

and to me it points to flaws in the scheme. and youth and growing pains etc

I think this team can still get better from here. will be shocked if they dont.

the recruiting rankings of the players on this roster are pretty high, for the most part. the talent is there (with a few holes on the roster)

the only thing that rankles is that the losses have been decimations...which really hasnt been necessary. somehow the team folds easier than a wet envelope once an opponent lands a body blow.

but yeah 12-5 is pretty good. I just dont agree with the "should lose to" thing.

Gonzaga is 12-5 too...they lost to santa clara.

UVA is 12-5 with a bunch of losses to worse teams than SU, imo

Duke is good but they have some bad losses as well. etc

those games should not be automatic losses.

I dont think this team "should lose" to almost anyone...despite the blowouts.

the weirdest thing about the season so far is the line between "definitely beat" and "certainly get blown out by" is so small and rather "highly ranked". ...if that makes sense. to easily beat all quad 2, 3,4 and getting thrashed by quad 1s...its weird and unusual...

and to me it points to flaws in the scheme. and youth and growing pains etc

I think this team can still get better from here. will be shocked if they dont.
The team lacks a leader who can calm things down and stop the bleeding when things are doing bad. That’s why they suffer these extended negative runs from time to time. When things are going poorly our pg tends to speed up and play crazier rather than simmer things down .

Last edited:

I honestly have no issues with any of our losses besides Virginia. Getting blown out in some of those losses was hard to watch though. I think Red is doing a great job for the most part in his first season at the helm. We are winning the games we should, and not really losing any that we shouldn't.

The team lacks a leader who can calm things down and stop the bleeding when tings are doing bad. That’s why they suffer these extended negative runs from time to time. When things are going poorly our pg tends to speed up and play crazier rather than simmer things down .
Bingo.
Tyler Ennis at PG is an interesting mind game.

The team lacks a leader who can calm things down and stop the bleeding when tings are doing bad. That’s why they suffer these extended negative runs from time to time. When things are going poorly our pg tends to speed up and play crazier rather than simmer things down .
That's why Red needs to make a decision that Q is the point guard when he is in the game.
Judah, and JJ are both better off the ball, especially in the 3 guard lineup.
Q actually looks to make a pass normally when he has the ball.

Feels like a very quality NIT team. Totally flawed to be seriously considered for the NCAA tournament at this point. You can't lose by 20 plus to the tournament teams and get into the dance.

They need to rack up some big wins at home to even be sniffing an at large. Otherwise the NIT seems to make sense for this team. May be the best thing for them long term too.

Feels like a very quality NIT team. Totally flawed to be seriously considered for the NCAA tournament at this point. You can't lose by 20 plus to the tournament teams and get into the dance.

They need to rack up some big wins at home to even be sniffing an at large. Otherwise the NIT seems to make sense for this team. May be the best thing for them long term too.
I think you overestimate the state of modern day college basketball. You can be a team with many warts and still get into the tournament.

I also have no idea how playing in the NIT would be better for them. Go further against crappier teams ? That’s not helpful

They definitely have the feel of an NIT team but they also absolutely have the ability to get into the NCAAT. I also don't see the value in making the NIT over the NCAAT. NIT over nothing, of course, but I'd rather play one NCAAT game and lose by 50 than win the NIT, especially in today's day and age when every player is a free agent every year and you have zero clue what your roster will look like the next year.

I think you overestimate the state of modern day college basketball. You can be a team with many warts and still get into the tournament.

I also have no idea how playing in the NIT would be better for them. Go further against crappier teams ? That’s not helpful
They need quad 1 wins, the opportunities are slim.

They need quad 1 wins, the opportunities are slim.

No, they just need to beat a bunch of good/not great teams remaining on our schedule.
If we go 9-5 down the stretch, were in.

Sounds like it would be an “end all be all” haha

It would certainly appear to be an end all be all if you have zero. If any school were to break that, it would be Syracuse though. Fire up another apology tour.

No, they just need to beat a bunch of good/not great teams remaining on our schedule.
If we go 9-5 down the stretch, were in.
They’re not getting in without any, 1 would be tough. And that’s assuming we don’t lose to anyone we shouldn’t.

It would certainly appear to be an end all be all if you have zero. If any school were to break that, it would be Syracuse though. Fire up another apology tour.
Will the Boeheim middle finger gif be allowed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom