IPF Announcement.. Steel up 8/13/14 pics, video | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

IPF Announcement.. Steel up 8/13/14 pics, video

Some window dressing...

Bv_RRdGIYAECeyg.jpg:large

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 31m
Syracuse AD Daryl Gross said on @ESPNSYRACUSE that he thinks there is a camera set up on site to document IPF construction progress.

If there is it must be a closed circuit feed into Shafers' office.

You can't make this stuff up. Next he'll tell you that you can view the progress on the SU Athletics MySpace page.

You can't make this stuff up. Next he'll tell you that you can view the progress on the SU Athletics MySpace page.

Now that comment cracked me up. But makes me cry at the same time. How does the AD not know that? I'm okay with Gross - done some good things and some bad - but that just amazes me.

this is really a project manager question, but one would hope someone in the AD would have asked the question.

Now that comment cracked me up. But makes me cry at the same time. How does the AD not know that? I'm okay with Gross - done some good things and some bad - but that just amazes me.

That's Gross though. Rather than say "I'm not sure. I've been busy getting ready for the upcoming year so let me check with my guy Giansante about it", he'll make up an answer. It doesn't surprise me that he does that because it's all about the image.

That's Gross though. Rather than say "I'm not sure. I've been busy getting ready for the upcoming year so let me check with my guy Giansante about it", he'll make up an answer. It doesn't surprise me that he does that because it's all about the image.

I will definitely pay more attention to his comments in the future just to see how much he truly does talk out of his butt since he got caught here

Done
indoor_long.jpg

We should have gotten the Extreme Makeover crew. That thing really would have been done by now!

i hope they remember to pad the heck out of the walls so they dont pull another Joe Morris issue out of a hat.

Some day you idiots will realize that Gross saved SU athletics.
Like him or hate him because of his antics, you're pretty spot on. He definitely helped to bring SU out of it's mid 2000s doldrums. He has made some mistakes along the way, but he's what this school needed at that point in time.

Some day you idiots will realize that Gross saved SU athletics.

Carmelo Anthony and Julie Boeheim have done more to "save" SU Athletics than DG...well, the two of them and Nancy Cantor's "Spend What Ya Like" budgeting model.

Full_Rebar said:

It's actually live on Rafi's MyFace wall. Right next to his toilet kitchen.

You're so wrong it's unbelievable.

I know a lot more than you think I do, but we are all entitled to our views. I can understand how people could feel he's been great for SU, especially with how Jake's tenure ended. DG has done some good things for sure, but he's far from a savior, and with the opportunities he has been given, I firmly believe he could have done more to enhance SU Athletics. I know enough to feel comfortable with my position on his SU tenure.

It's actually live on Rafi's MyFace wall. Right next to his toilet kitchen.
On of my favorite shows. I binged watched nearly every episode over the course of the weekend. Grinding and shining.

I know a lot more than you think I do, but we are all entitled to our views. I can understand how people could feel he's been great for SU, especially with how Jake's tenure ended. DG has done some good things for sure, but he's far from a savior, and with the opportunities he has been given, I firmly believe he could have done more to enhance SU Athletics. I know enough to feel comfortable with my position on his SU tenure.

But it would be nice to be a 22-year-old kid who knows everything and enjoys condescending to strangers on an internet message board. Then you could feel more comfortable in your position.

S0...On DDG's watch we have gotten $5 million in upgrades to the Manley football complex, weight room, Melo Center, New fieldturf in the Dome, new fieldturf for the practice fields, New video boards, new ribbon video bards, The IPF being built and he guided SU into the ACC. The highest rankings in the Director's cup for the past 5 years running.

Besides the Groobers hiring, what exactly could he have done better? I am curious as to your thoughts.

At this point, I can't think of any AD in SU history that has done as good a job.

Well, my history with SU AD's only goes back to Jake C. You remember Jake right? The AD who guided Syracuse into the Big East, which completely changed the Athletics Dept at SU, the guy in charge when the Carrier Dome was built turning a regional hoops program into a National power, and the AD who guided SU to the point of moving to the ACC over a decade ago only to be turned back by the politicians in Virginia?

Give Jake C the $ that Cantor allowed DG to spend and let's compare the results. I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't pay the W. Lax or WBB coaches more than the OC/DC or MBB Head Coach in waiting. That's my opinion

Well, my history with SU AD's only goes back to Jake C. You remember Jake right? The AD who guided Syracuse into the Big East, which completely changed the Athletics Dept at SU, the guy in charge when the Carrier Dome was built turning a regional hoops program into a National power, and the AD who guided SU to the point of moving to the ACC over a decade ago only to be turned back by the politicians in Virginia?

Give Jake C the $ that Cantor allowed DG to spend and let's compare the results. I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't pay the W. Lax or WBB coaches more than the OC/DC or MBB Head Coach in waiting. That's my opinion

Having directly dealt with DG and known a lot of people who worked for him or in the athletic department, I completely agree.

DG knew how to spend money. And it's very easy to argue he didn't always spend wisely.

Look at how he did fundraising, which is a vital component of any AD job. You'll see a much different picture.

S0...On DDG's watch we have gotten $5 million in upgrades to the Manley football complex, weight room, Melo Center, New fieldturf in the Dome, new fieldturf for the practice fields, New video boards, new ribbon video bards, The IPF being built and he guided SU into the ACC. The highest rankings in the Director's cup for the past 5 years running.

Besides the Groobers hiring, what exactly could he have done better? I am curious as to your thoughts.

At this point, I can't think of any AD in SU history that has done as good a job.
Guiding SU into the ACC without blowing it, alone, puts him in the SUAD hall of fame -- although much of the process was Cantor's budget and tectonic movement (decline of BE FB, ACC access to NY markets, etc). There is also the NYC media presence, his genius at branding or at least recognizing good ideas from IMG (NY's College Team), the Morrone hire, the new IMG (re) deal, eradicating Georgetown's despicable "gray out" policy (we now have plenty of guaranteed seats at the Verizon) ... it goes on and on. You can argue back and forth about whether each of these developments represented a personal achievement of DG or not -- either way, they've happened under his watch.

Last edited: