IPF Announcement.. Steel up 8/13/14 pics, video | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

IPF Announcement.. Steel up 8/13/14 pics, video

S0...On DDG's watch we have gotten $5 million in upgrades to the Manley football complex, weight room, Melo Center, New fieldturf in the Dome, new fieldturf for the practice fields, New video boards, new ribbon video bards, The IPF being built and he guided SU into the ACC. The highest rankings in the Director's cup for the past 5 years running.

Besides the Groobers hiring, what exactly could he have done better? I am curious as to your thoughts.

At this point, I can't think of any AD in SU history that has done as good a job.

Upgrade the men's hockey program from the ACHA to the NCAA.

Well, my history with SU AD's only goes back to Jake C. You remember Jake right? The AD who guided Syracuse into the Big East, which completely changed the Athletics Dept at SU, the guy in charge when the Carrier Dome was built turning a regional hoops program into a National power, and the AD who guided SU to the point of moving to the ACC over a decade ago only to be turned back by the politicians in Virginia?

Give Jake C the $ that Cantor allowed DG to spend and let's compare the results. I'd be willing to bet that he wouldn't pay the W. Lax or WBB coaches more than the OC/DC or MBB Head Coach in waiting. That's my opinion

So you are giving credit to Crouthamel for constructing the Dome? You do know that the decision to build the dome was not his idea right as it was his first year as AD? That was the result of Hugh Carey trying to get votes in upstate NY, they could have had a cardboard cutout as AD at the time and it still would have happened because Carey needed votes.

After the Dome was built, what did he do for our facilities? Which was part of the reason SU football declined as much as it did. I blame him far more than anyone else for the decline of SU Football for that and for keeping PP around too long.

We will agree to disagree.

Last edited:
So you are giving credit to Crouthamel for constructing the Dome? You do know that the decision to build the dome was not his idea right as it was his first year as AD? That was the result of Hugh Carey trying to get votes in upstate NY, they could have had a cardboard cutout as AD at the time and it still would have happened because Carey needed votes.

After the Dome was built, what did he do for our facilities? Which was part of the reason SU football declined as much as it did. I blame him far more than anyone else for the decline of SU Football for that and for keeping PP around too long.

We will agree to disagree. Oh BTW "get a life" which happened a few years ago that our town still remembers. You can add that feather to his cap as well.

"Get a life" was Buzz Shaw's. Not Crouthamels.

And Buzz controlled all the purse strings. Jake had a list of facilities improvements he wanted done, but he didn't have the money in the budget.

When Cantor took over, the money began to flow, and Gross was able to do things that Jake could only dream about.

And Buzz controlled all the purse strings. Jake has a list of facilities improvements he wanted done, but he didn't have the money in the budget.

When Cantor took over, the money began to flow, and Gross was able to do things that Jake could only dream about.

I stand corrected, I always kind of attributed that to Jake for some reason.

Apologies I will retract my statement.

But it would be nice to be a 22-year-old kid who knows everything and enjoys condescending to strangers on an internet message board. Then you could feel more comfortable in your position.
It's not condescending at all. Gross is the biggest reason Syracuse is in the ACC and not rotting in the minors like UConn.

CuseOnly said:
I stand corrected, I always kind of attributed that to Jake for some reason. Apologies I will retract my statement.

Maybe you were thinking of "one horse town?"

The roof is going up

image.jpg

It's not condescending at all. Gross is the biggest reason Syracuse is in the ACC and not rotting in the minors like UConn.

Sorry, but that's not even close to being accurate.

I usually bite my lip on this topic but...

Unless you actually know about the very significant difference(s) between Jake's budget/process under Shaw and Daryl's budget/process under Cantor you really are *clueless* on this topic and should probably refrain from commenting at all. But I'm sure that won't stop some of you. :) Most (70-90%+?) do not know much or anything about this but make inaccurate assumptions based on appearances. That is a big part of the disconnect and lack of credit/respect given to Jake and his tenure.

FYI: I won't get into my background w/ SU but I know more than most on this topic.

Also: some people seem to assume that we would've been stuck in a weird time warp - with no progress - but for Daryl. Weird and wrong. ANY new AD (after Jake) would have assessed the situation and developed a plan to "get things done" and move us to the next level. That is part of the job description.

Edit: should read "Any new AD hired by Cantor..." (with the benefit of her "new" accounting method/system and money that she "freed up" for the new AD to spend.)

Last edited:
I usually bite my lip on this topic but...

Unless you actually know about the very significant difference(s) between Jake's budget/process under Shaw and Daryl's budget/process under Cantor you really are *clueless* on this topic and should probably refrain from commenting at all. But I'm sure that won't stop some of you. :) Most (70-90%+?) do not know much or anything about this but make inaccurate assumptions based on appearances. That is a big part of the disconnect and lack of credit/respect given to Jake and his tenure.

FYI: I won't get into my background and experience working w/ SU but I know more than most on this topic.

Also: some people seem to assume that we would've been stuck in a weird time warp - with no progress - but for Daryl. Weird and wrong. ANY new AD (after Jake) would have assessed the situation and developed a plan to "get things done" and move us to the next level. That is part of the job description.

Got it, so we can chalk up the lack of progress under Jake to the "budget process" with Buzz and we can chalk up the progress under DDG to the new "budget process" under Cantor.

So what you are saying in general is we could have had cardboard cutouts as AD for both eras and still got the same results and be where we are now.

All I have to go on is what I see. And if part of the job description was to move us to the next level, why wasn't Jake able to get it done?

I firmly believe that being a salesman to both sides (donors and administration) is part of the job description. Convincing the alums to donate and the administration and board to open the check book. I saw Jake doing neither, DDG has done both.

Got it, so we can chalk up the lack of progress under Jake to the "budget process" with Buzz and we can chalk up the progress under DDG to the new "budget process" under Cantor.

So what you are saying in general is we could have had cardboard cutouts as AD for both eras and still got the same results and be where we are now.

All I have to go on is what I see. And if part of the job description was to move us to the next level, why wasn't Jake able to get it done?

I firmly believe that being a salesman to both sides (donors and administration) is part of the job description. Convincing the alums to donate and the administration and board to open the check book. I saw Jake doing neither, DDG has done both.

Is that what I said? Nope.

As for "being a salesman to both sides". That's an interesting point. Have you heard about any of the changes taking place at SU/AD (E.g., $, decision-making, etc)? If not, maybe you should look into it.

You wrote: "All I have to go on is what I see" - and that's precisely my point. What goes on behind-the-scenes away from "what I see" matters. Perhaps more than you know? Maybe?

FWIW, I too am thrilled to see progress. I'm just pointing out the reality of the $$$$$$$$ situation under two different regimes and how that impacts "perception". Might be something to consider.

Last edited:

Without getting into who did what, I don't disagree. Gross has done a good job in his role and I'm glad we've had him (I'd be happy for him to stay on for another decade).

It's also the case that he's managed some aspects of the department poorly for a surprisingly long period of time.

Like him or hate him because of his antics, you're pretty spot on. He definitely helped to bring SU out of it's mid 2000s doldrums. He has made some mistakes along the way, but he's what this school needed at that point in time.
Spot on. Find me one person that has never made a mistake on the job. His are just available for public scrutiny.

Is that what I said? Nope.

As for "being a salesman to both sides". That's an interesting point. Have you heard about any of the changes taking place at SU/AD (E.g., $, decision-making, etc)? If not, maybe you should look into it.

You wrote: "All I have to go on is what I see" - and that's precisely my point. What goes on behind-the-scenes away from "what I see" matters. Perhaps more than you know? Maybe?

FWIW, I too am thrilled to see progress. I'm just pointing out the reality of the $$$$$$$$ situation under two different regimes and how that impacts "perception". Might be something to consider.

Is this not what you said ? "Unless you actually know about the very significant difference(s) between Jake's budget/process under Shaw and Daryl's budget/process under Cantor you really are *clueless* on this topic and should probably refrain from commenting at all. But I'm sure that won't stop some of you."

You are A. Saying that there were different budget processes for each Chancellor causing each AD to have different success rates. B. Unless we knew these processes, we are all clueless on the subject.

I don't particularly care what goes on behind the scenes and quite honestly most fans don't give a rip either, I want to see progress and upgrades. I don't care what the budget process was, is or may be in the future. Simple fact is with Jake there were none. With DDG I have seen plenty.

And Buzz controlled all the purse strings. Jake had a list of facilities improvements he wanted done, but he didn't have the money in the budget.

Not specifically asking you OX, but I find it interesting that my memory of the board and our concerns when Cantor took over were that she was a stone cold liberal, equal rights champion, who would never be good for our AD and money being dumped into athletics. Now if you look at the money that went into women's sports, at the expense of the men's maybe thats the answer. Nonetheless, she sure didn't mind opening the checkbook!

Unfortunately the "behind the scenes" stuff is where the rubber meets the road and final decisions are made.

Gross has/had (at least before the new Chanc arrived) a -load more money to spend than Jake ever had as a percentage of the overall budget due to changes in internal acctg. processes under Cantor. The two ADs operate(d) under entirely different rules and systems.

Thus, trying to compare their "purchases" on the job - while ignoring the mitigating circumstances - is flawed IMO.

Now back to my regularly scheduled vacation. :)

Is this not what you said ? "Unless you actually know about the very significant difference(s) between Jake's budget/process under Shaw and Daryl's budget/process under Cantor you really are *clueless* on this topic and should probably refrain from commenting at all. But I'm sure that won't stop some of you."

You are A. Saying that there were different budget processes for each Chancellor causing each AD to have different success rates. B. Unless we knew these processes, we are all clueless on the subject.

I don't particularly care what goes on behind the scenes and quite honestly most fans don't give a rip either, I want to see progress and upgrades. I don't care what the budget process was, is or may be in the future. Simple fact is with Jake there were none. With DDG I have seen plenty.

Thanks for the input Stan. Jake needs and deserves someone on this board to remind us of his many accomplishments. It's far too easy to lump Jake in with Buzz when looking for someone to blame for our slide into the GRob years. One other thing. Wasn't it Jake who dragged JB, kicking and screaming, from the sold out Manley Field House into the Carrier Dome? For that decision, based on how much money the University has made because of it, we should all be bowing down to him.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the "behind the scenes" stuff is where the rubber meets the road and final decisions are made.

Gross has/had (at least before the new Chanc arrived) a -load more money to spend than Jake ever had as a percentage of the overall budget due to changes in internal acctg. processes under Cantor. The two ADs operate(d) under entirely different rules and systems.

Thus, trying to compare their "purchases" on the job - while ignoring the mitigating circumstances - is flawed IMO.

Now back to my regularly scheduled vacation. :)

You've been on vacation since last Friday? Good for you, I can't seem to unshackle myself from my desk at work to take a full week. I am envious, good for you.

Not specifically asking you OX, but I find it interesting that my memory of the board and our concerns when Cantor took over were that she was a stone cold liberal, equal rights champion, who would never be good for our AD and money being dumped into athletics. Now if you look at the money that went into women's sports, at the expense of the men's maybe thats the answer. Nonetheless, she sure didn't mind opening the checkbook!

Turns out she'd just run our academics into the ground