Is Bill Simmons 15 minutes of fame almost up. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is Bill Simmons 15 minutes of fame almost up.

McShay and Kiper study this for months. Simmons clearly, as sort of admitted, tries to watch some youtube videos the night before.

Kiper and McShay study it for 12 months. It's literally the only thing they do ... yet they still just basically get their information on players from team executives and combine numbers. It's fine but it's still pure BS.

Because it's the NBA draft, not the NCAA draft. Simmons knows the NBA. I'm a big NBA fan and I want to know how each pick impacts the NBA teams. NCAA is crap basketball compared to the NBA. Focusing on the college component is a waste of time.
How could he tell you how they impact an NBA team when he doesn't know them lol... he clearly watches little to no college ball.

Kiper and McShay study it for 12 months. It's literally the only thing they do ... yet they still just basically get their information on players from team executives and combine numbers. It's fine but it's still pure BS.

They literally only have McShay and Kiper together for a First Take-esque produced debate that is for entertainment purposes only.

I have been finding him annoying. He needs some tranquilizers.

They literally only have McShay and Kiper together for a First Take-esque produced debate that is for entertainment purposes only.
think that or not, they both have knowledge

Explain how he knows the NBA draft? Him and Jalen should be dropped through a hole in the ground.

Jalen's good. He's an NBA guy, but as far as whether he knows college...I do know that he was high on Cuse's chances in 2013, even when they were on their slide(and most on here were jumping ship and flipping out). He said getting out of the brutal stretch of league play would be good for them, and they would make a deep NCAA run.

Fantastic. What does that have to do with the way they are positioned? It's not like the forum is such that they wax poetic about in depth history and nuances. They give 10 second sound bites and put on a face of being agitates by each other.

Of what -- you yourself said no one knows what's going to happen in the next five years. Of what value is their knowledge which, by the way, is supposedly knowing what these guys will do the next five years. Listen, it's entertaining, but those dudes are complete BS artists. Reciting a guy's receptions by year in college on the spot may be impressive from a memory standpoint but means nothing.

Fantastic. What does that have to do with the way they are positioned? It's not like the forum is such that they wax poetic about in depth history and nuances. They give 10 second sound bites and put on a face of being agitates by each other.

I got angry just thinking about the fake debates. We need to stop discussing them.

Simmons and Rose are the only reason to even watch the Draft. Love them both. Rose is very knowledgeable and Simmons very entertaining. Rose never hesitates to give a shout out to DC either, compares kids to him all the time. You guys take way too seriously, Walter Cronkite may be more your speed? What

Put me in the Simmons camp. He is cool. Bout 3 years ago, he blogged about the first two rounds of the tourney with his buddies and it was great.
(Then again, I like everybody)

Put me in the Simmons camp. He is cool. Bout 3 years ago, he blogged about the first two rounds of the tourney with his buddies and it was great.
(Then again, I like everybody)

I remember that, was great.

I thought Simmons was better last night than he's been before. I enjoyed him more as a writer up until 2007 or so (too much name-dropping, too gimmicky after he got famous; even worse on television), but he was entertaining and informative during the draft.

The reaction to the fist-pump for the second Celtics pick was hilarious. Pure enthusiasm.

I thought Simmons was better last night than he's been before. I enjoyed him more as a writer up until 2007 or so (too much name-dropping, too gimmicky after he got famous; even worse on television)

This why I don't like him anymore. I used to really enjoy him back in the day and loved his draft day diaries. They were hilarious. I sometimes still go back and read the old ones. I did enjoy when he made Sage Steele roll her eyes when he complained about it being his turn to talk during the NBA finals. I have a friend who works for ESPN in statistics-research and says Sage Steele is one of the nicest anchors there - it's hard to annoy her.

He was better last night than he usually is, but there was one moment where Bilas was talking about something and suddenly Simmons jumped to talking about Denver. It was completely the case of him wanting to make his point, even when it didn't fit the conversation.

I don't like him on the Countdown show, but he's good with the Draft as he wasn't afraid to call out some questionable decisions instead of praising every single pick.

Not that I despise him but I think I despise the entire ESPN coverage of this draft and he adds nothing on top of nothing. Give me some real substance.
i think he's a funny writer who should just stick to what he's good at. the 30 for 30s are good, i'm not sure how much of that is him.

i irrationally hate grantland. whole thing reads like a bunch of high schoolers thinking the teacher will give them a better grade if they just fill pages.

Not that I despise him but I think I despise the entire ESPN coverage of this draft and he adds nothing on top of nothing. Give me some real substance.

Whether he is on TV or not, his 15 minutes (which by the way is like 5+ years now) is not up.

He makes over $3 million per year. Grantland is wildly successful as are his podcasts.

I cannot stand Simmons. He adds nothing to the broadcast.

Jalen's good. He's an NBA guy, but as far as whether he knows college...I do know that he was high on Cuse's chances in 2013, even when they were on their slide(and most on here were jumping ship and flipping out). He said getting out of the brutal stretch of league play would be good for them, and they would make a deep NCAA run.

I think this is the first time I've ever watched Rose for more than a couple minutes. I thought he was great. Struck a good balance between humor, telling stories, and analyzing guys. Actually said some interesting things.

Simmons is better on paper than on television.

Jay Williams was good at basketball.

Everyone knows how good am analyst is is directly proportional to the number of times they favorably mention su.

And the NFL draft coverage on ESPN featured Ray Lewis for some reason.

I think this is the first time I've ever watched Rose for more than a couple minutes. I thought he was great. Struck a good balance between humor, telling stories, and analyzing guys. Actually said some interesting things.

Simmons is better on paper than on television.

Jay Williams was good at basketball.

Rose is great. Not sure why some here dislike him. Actually yes I do, because he wasn't wearing his Syracuse tie last night.

Simmons is fine by me. He also wrote one of the best books ever, so he knows the NBA GAME.

As for jay? I agree. He doesn't add to much but whatever. Props for him for still keeping the job.

Rose is great. Not sure why some here dislike him. Actually yes I do, because he wasn't wearing his Syracuse tie last night.

Simmons is fine by me. He also wrote one of the best books ever, so he knows the NBA GAME.

As for jay? I agree. He doesn't add to much but whatever. Props for him for still keeping the job.

I don't care about Jay saying cliched vaguely critical things about Syracuse in the studio in February, but the network can't give him the draft interview job again. That was incredibly uncomfortable for everyone involved. It defies belief how bad Jay is in that role. It's like watching the Chris Farley Show, minus the obesity, laughs, and engaging interviewees.

At the same time, I'd rather listen to him than Stuart Scott.

It was a nice gesture to pity hire Jay Williams, but I have to think this cant last much longer.

Simmons was cool and funny when he was just a random guy blogging from an "every man" point of view. Now his shtick feels a little disingenuous when he's a one man media conglomerate still attempting to portray the same "every man" shtick. In short, him going corporate ruined what was best about him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom