Is it a rule that every 50/50 play must be called a foul? | Syracusefan.com

Is it a rule that every 50/50 play must be called a foul?

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
I don't understand why a play that is questionable HAS to be a foul every time? Why can't refs let the game resume?

I am with Lawrinson on this one - the game has devolved so much that standing in place and allowing yourself to get knocked down is considered good defense and flailing your arms and falling down when you shoot is good offense. The rules encourage players to flop, fall down or embellish every bit of contact the opponent makes. And to think I used to consider basketball a contact sport.

People wonder why "the fundamentals" are lost - it's because taking charges or acting are not a fundamental skill of basketball, or at least they shouldn't be. Guys like Christmas, Keita and Grant - excellent athletes and basketball players - are penalized in today's game for making outstanding plays on the ball because of a little contact while players that willingly get steamrolled by a driving player get rewarded. Move your feet, play defense, go for the ball - standing is not playing basketball.

Why would you have rules that promote stagnation and inaction but discourage action, movement or any enjoyable characteristic of sports? It boggles the mind.

I'm not mad that Fair or Christmas didn't get a free throw and I'm not mad that Parker didn't get called for a charge - you gotta just let them play! If there was no call on Fair's drive, you likely get an epic finish (Boeheim's reaction was priceless, though!) with a tied game with 10 seconds. Instead, you have controversy and even more hatred for the NCAA, if that is possible.

I think the NCAA forgets that they are really in the entertainment industry and that people can find plenty of other ways to spend their time and energy if they are unwilling or unable clean their product up and let players do their thing.

I would rather watch replays of Texans-Jaguars than NCAA basketball at this point.

Some officials get that call correct - CJ slid left to avoid contact making it an easy no-call.

The problem was dumb-ass ref was so excited to make a call - he was running along the baseline ready to be a big star!! And he is!!! I'm done with Syracuse basketball - I'm just going to watch Tony Greene! He's truly where the action is in this sport!!

I felt it should have been a no call, 60-60 with 10 seconds left, let the kids decide the game and swallow your damn whistle.

Word.

Did any of you guys watch the end of the Kentucky-LSU game? where one of the Harrison twins literally dribbled to the free throw line and just threw his hands and the ball up and got the foul call with 5 seconds left. Then hit two FTs to take the game to overtime.. He didn't even attempt a legit shooting motion, just threw the ball and flailed his arms. I thought the call was complete crap.

Did any of you guys watch the end of the Kentucky-LSU game? where one of the Harrison twins literally dribbled to the free throw line and just threw his hands and the ball up and got the foul call with 5 seconds left. Then hit two FTs to take the game to overtime.. He didn't even attempt a legit shooting motion, just threw the ball and flailed his arms. I thought the call was complete crap.
Yeah, saw that as well, thought at the time it was a crap call.

Just get rid of the charge call. You don't get rewarded for standing still. Make a play on the ball or get run over.

Unless the offensive player is obviously out of control it should be a blocking foul or no call every single time.

Just get rid of the charge call. You don't get rewarded for standing still. Make a play on the ball or get run over.

Unless the offensive player is obviously out of control it should be a blocking foul or no call every single time.

Agreed. And there is a big difference between being out of control or barreling someone over and sliding by and attempting to avoid contact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom