Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Is it time for the clapping until first bucket to die?

Should SU retire clapping until the first basket at the start of each half?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 74 44.0%
  • No, tradition is more important

Votes: 94 56.0%

• Total voters
start the tip with the roof is on fire. Rock Master Scott and the Dynamic 3.
Hey girls, B-boys
Superstar DJs, here we go

The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!
We don't need no water—Let the burn!
Burn, , burn!
and if we don't score in the first 3 minutes and 16 seconds by the time the song ends just literally set the dome roof on fire . evacuate the building and postpone the game.

Sounds more like a lack of offense on the SU players’ part rather than too much clapping by people not actually on the court to me.
So let me get this straight: The standing/clapping can help the team, but never hurt the team?

And if it doesn’t help the team either, then why do it at all?

So let me get this straight: The standing/clapping can help the team, but never hurt the team?

And if it doesn’t help the team either, then why do it at all?
When did I say it helped the team? I only commented because of your ludicrous premise that the fans lost a basketball game.

She hot?
indiana-fan-underwear.jpg

When did I say it helped the team? I only commented because of your ludicrous premise that the fans lost a basketball game.
Yes, I believe the crowd can have an effect in games. Ludicrous.

When they killed the lovely “hey! You suck!” song and chant, a part of me died inside.
Well, besides the added vulgarity from SU fan lyrics (which honestly, don't love chants like that at games anyways), Gary Glitter is a pedo, so there's that.

We could go back to this.

Or not.

It's of an era, dated for sure.

But that song and John Wallace dancing at midcourt was probably more peak "stand-and-clap" than anything from the last 35 years.

As opposed to, say, "Welcome to the Jungle" and Mr. Excitement squealing at a bunch of people who'd rather sit and not clap.

You said the fans lost the game, not that they had an effect. I'm bailing on this absurd back and forth.
I can see where it hurts if the first basket proves hard to come by, as it just adds pressure.

I can see where it helps energy and adrenaline wise(and perhaps rattling some opponents a bit) as the game is about to start and the place is rocking.

I’m not married to the “stand and clap” necessarily having to last until our first basket.

Frankly though - I don’t see how you stop it, even if they decided they wanted to? Trying to stop it would actually probably make people get more into it.

I can see where it hurts if the first basket proves hard to come by, as it just adds pressure.

I can see where it helps energy and adrenaline wise(and perhaps rattling some opponents a bit) as the game is about to start and the place is rocking.

I’m not married to the “stand and clap” necessarily having to last until our first basket.

Frankly though - I don’t see how you stop it, even if they decided they wanted to? Trying to stop it would actually probably make people get more into it.
I attend so few basketball games that it doesn't really impact me much directly. I'd like to see it stay, simply because it's a tradition, as lame as it may be. If it were to go away, I'd just chalk it up as one more thing that came and went.

This is an issue I would like to see more S.U. players and coaches (past and present) asked about.

It's of an era, dated for sure.

But that song and John Wallace dancing at midcourt was probably more peak "stand-and-clap" than anything from the last 35 years.

As opposed to, say, "Welcome to the Jungle" and Mr. Excitement squealing at a bunch of people who'd rather sit and not clap.
Yeah, what’s wrong with this? It got people up and moving. So what if it is “old?” It’s timeless and energetic! Something being old does not mean it is bad (she says defensively).

I remember liking the clapping tradition when I was a student back in the late 80s / early 90s. However, over the years, I've become to dislike it, particularly during one of those games where we're struggling to get on the scoreboard. It tends to highlight how long it's taken us to score during those kinds of games. I'd rather clap (as a taunt) until the other team scores. Get our D fired up and mock the other team's offense.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to hate the home crowd more and more haha.

I don’t hate the standing and clapping as much as I hate the ‘oh, phew, we scored. I can sit down now and move as little as possible.’

Tangentially related, I cannot stand when the crowd lets an opposing player silence them. It’s maddening when the crowd is into it and loud just to groan and shut up because some dude hit a 3 or did a neat dunk. You can keep cheering through that. If the crowd can actually affect players, I’d imagine continuing to clap and shout after some dude tea-bags our big man, as if it’s no big deal, would work better than giving them the satisfaction of shutting up. “You did a 360 windmill from the foul line on our 7 footer’s head? Yawn; couldn’t care less, bro.”

Keep it and add a cue so everyone is on the same page. It's half-hearted because there's no cadence.

I remember liking the clapping tradition when I was a student back in the late 80s / early 90s. However, over the years, I've become to dislike it, particularly during one of those games where we're struggling to get on the scoreboard. It tends to highlight how long it's taken us to score during those kinds of games. I'd rather clap (as a taunt) until the other team scores. Get our D fired up and mock the other team's offense.
I've modified my clapping in those games over the last few years. Only clapping while we are on defense. Makes more sense to try and get the D fired up as you say.

Is this post from the year 2000? The answer was an emphatic YES back then too.
Yes I'm sure there is one but I can't think of a more nonsensical tradition in all of sports. Not from a stupidity standpoint but from a strategic standpoint. It does little to nothing to help team and creates awkwardness and potentially tightness over time. The reverse (until opponent scores) makes 100x more sense

It should absolutely NOT be gotten rid of. Every year, there are posts lamenting our lack of traditions. So we should get rid of one of the very few...maybe the ONLY one we have? Sure, we stole it from New Mexico. But that was long ago and it is now ours.

We once had the "Who's He?" cheer, but that was defanged so as to not offend the masses.

We once had the Manley Zoo. In an effort to appear more sporting, SU neutered The Zoo by moving it to the other end of Manley and calling it The Kennel Club. It was OK but by the time we moved to The Dome, it was no more. Perhaps even prior to that, I no longer recall.

For football, we have the keys thing, but many schools had that before us. I seem to recall Purdue doing it many years ago when Leroy Keyes was there. It isn't even a tradition.

When I was a student, the freshmen had placard cheering at football games. We stole that too, probably from a southern California school where the cheerleaders didn't wear woolen uniforms and brush the occasional snowflake from their hair. By the end of my freshman year, I think it was gone.

Contrary to what people post annually, traditions cannot be "created". They develop organically. The stand and clap thing may be hokie to some and boring to some, but it is ours. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's a free country. But it should not be officially ended. We have so little else.

It should absolutely NOT be gotten rid of. Every year, there are posts lamenting our lack of traditions. So we should get rid of one of the very few...maybe the ONLY one we have? Sure, we stole it from New Mexico. But that was long ago and it is now ours.

We once had the "Who's He?" cheer, but that was defanged so as to not offend the masses.

We once had the Manley Zoo. In an effort to appear more sporting, SU neutered The Zoo by moving it to the other end of Manley and calling it The Kennel Club. It was OK but by the time we moved to The Dome, it was no more. Perhaps even prior to that, I no longer recall.

For football, we have the keys thing, but many schools had that before us. I seem to recall Purdue doing it many years ago when Leroy Keyes was there. It isn't even a tradition.

When I was a student, the freshmen had placard cheering at football games. We stole that too, probably from a southern California school where the cheerleaders didn't wear woolen uniforms and brush the occasional snowflake from their hair. By the end of my freshman year, I think it was gone.

Contrary to what people post annually, traditions cannot be "created". They develop organically. The stand and clap thing may be hokie to some and boring to some, but it is ours. If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's a free country. But it should not be officially ended. We have so little else.
Exactly. It seems like these threads go in a cycle - bemoan the lack of SU traditions, complain about the few existing traditions we do have, say other schools traditions are stupid when discussing ideas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom