Is posting down? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is posting down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple answer. Internet message boards aren’t hip anymore. This place was here long before Twitter. Back in the day, this was where you came for the insiders take, the voice of the real fan, locker room humor, etc.

Now it’s the empty corner bar that will be out of business in a few years.

Most of the folks, including myself, who are here are getting older. We dont time have the time, nor the energy to give the effort.

Message boards have jumped the shark.

I'm sorry, because I shouldn't have to point out that the point you were attempting to make was absurd, oblivious, and frankly clueless.
believe it or not, that’s your opinion. You may want to look in the mirror because posts trashing other posters is in my opinion why this board has turned people off. There’s an ignore button but apparently it’s easier to hurl insults because hey it’s the internet. And the notion that I have to show up after a duke win? Do you know how controlling and ridiculous that sounds? Why don’t you draft a policy so people know when they need to show up? Maybe the mods will endorse it. I’m sure that will drive traffic.

believe it or not, that’s your opinion. You may want to look in the mirror because posts trashing other posters is in my opinion why this board has turned people off. There’s an ignore button but apparently it’s easier to hurl insults because hey it’s the internet. And the notion that I have to show up after a duke win? Do you know how controlling and ridiculous that sounds?
So it's fair game to trash the players, coaches and everyone and anything connected to the program, but the posters who feel entitled to dish their crap at every opportunity are off limits?

Last edited:
believe it or not, that’s your opinion. You may want to look in the mirror because posts trashing other posters is in my opinion why this board has turned people off. There’s an ignore button but apparently it’s easier to hurl insults because hey it’s the internet. And the notion that I have to show up after a duke win? Do you know how controlling and ridiculous that sounds? Why don’t you draft a policy so people know when they need to show up? Maybe the mods will endorse it. I’m sure that will drive traffic.

So just to get this straight -- you're suggesting that the expectation that an ostensible fan might take a momentary break from being perpetually negative about the program to be excited after a road win against Duke is ridiculous and controlling?

Allrighty then...

So just to get this straight -- you're suggesting that the expectation that an ostensible fan might take a momentary break from being perpetually negative about the program to be excited after a road win against Duke is ridiculous and controlling?

Allrighty then...

Still hasn’t admitted he was wrong about the coaches son either...

Allrighty then...
Still hasn’t admitted he was wrong about the coaches son either...

Gentlemen, take this to the pay side please.

I'm someone who does not frequent he boards as much in the off season but when basketball season (or football) rolls around I am a junkie. I probably hop in to check on the board 15-20 times a day to see if there are any new threads or posts on created threads. Because I am checking so frequently perhaps my perception is a bit skewed. On game day the threads and post seem to be the norm but on non game days it seems like there is less? I've noticed that I have not seen some board members in awhile as well. Marsh for example. I always used to look forward to his threads on what ever college games might be going on that night and his Big East/ACC tournament pairing updates. I have not seen him in quite some time. As I said earlier perhaps it's just me and it seems there are less posts because I pop in so often during the day and night compared to the off season, and to expect new topics all the time is unrealistic. Any thoughts?

Go Cuse

Nope. I looked at the data and it’s very consistent for basketball season. Every year the number of posts dip after b-ball season until fball starts up. Then it’s picks up some during football and picks up even more at b-ball season. It’s pretty level each basketball season for the past several years. There have been two significant spikes. One was during last years b-ball run where for a few weeks it spiked more than usual during ncaa times. Then this football season it spike to higher levels than ever, especially oct - dec. so maybe comparing that quarter to the past month it seems like it is down. But is not historically but is compared to our football run.

Nope. I looked at the data and it’s very consistent for basketball season. Every year the number of posts dip after b-ball season until fball starts up. Then it’s picks up some during football and picks up even more at b-ball season. It’s pretty level each basketball season for the past several years. There have been two significant spikes. One was during last years b-ball run where for a few weeks it spiked more than usual during ncaa times. Then this football season it spike to higher levels than ever, especially oct - dec. so maybe comparing that quarter to the past month it seems like it is down. But is not historically but is compared to our football run.

Cool, thanks for looking into that. As I said I was not sure. I think that some of the posters that left and I do not see anymore aided into my false perception.

Go Cuse

1. T

3. The recruiting forum takes some topics away from the main board - so you may want to venture over there a bit. It's lively as well.
  • recruiting has fallen off; no it hasn't it's all due to sanctions
  • boeheim is incapable of recruiting bigs; yeah he can, here's the list
saved you a trip

Cool, thanks for looking into that. As I said I was not sure. I think that some of the posters that left and I do not see anymore aided into my false perception.

Go Cuse

In the last week we’ve had 10 new posters register with 4 of them having posted so far with the other 6 just lurking for now. We are always getting new posters on a regular basis.

Expect the lax board to start pulling its weight, our small group over their has finally paid off as we have had a big influx of new posters over the last 6-12 months since issues started with laxpower and the board has really benefited. For awhile it was seemingly me orangeExtreme, Orange79 creatorsgame, phatorange and a few others who kept it from turning into the s cout board.

People can listen / like / follow / agree with / disagree with whichever posters and opinions they choose. But this place is a lot worse off for not having people who had tremendous insight posting less frequently, or not at all. In the last year alone, people have driven off Francis, Iommi has stopped posting all of his first-hand recruiting insight, Marsh is pretty much not posting anymore, Jake barely posts anymore, etc. And the board is worse off for it.

I totally forgot about Iommi and realize I'm missing his posts even though it escaped my attention that he's not here. Hope he's doing well, that guy could flame with the best of them but he's obviously a passionate fan (and I agreed with him more often than not).

With regard to some others, though -- and maybe you're in a better position to speak to their motivations than I am -- it's not surprising that some internet poster who's looking to monetize his opinions will decide to stop posting on a free message board.

It has gotten a little dull around here, but what more is there to say? The negative people are overbearing, certain Pollyannas derail any quasi-controversial hoops conversation by beating up the "you hate Boeheim" straw man, and I think we've all exhausted most of the binary sorts of man/zone, bench/no-bench debates.

I do miss more of the basketball-specific posts made by people like General20, Tom, 007, Cherie, Mason, and that coach guy who used to post (and probably others who I'm forgetting), but again: college basketball is more conservative than ever before and I don't think the few wrinkles that Boeheim's introduced require that many words of analysis. So it's a quiet place...

EDIT: just saw Bees's post, I guess my perception is off and it's not that quiet here.

I, for one, post more in OT now. Also life is crazy lately because of my job and I am less informed about the team than most years, so I have less to contribute. (Also, yes, it's too depressing here after a loss, but it's always been that way. I think the worst time was still after the second consecutive NIT year in spring 2008)

I joined this site for strictly research based purposes. I invite all of you to preorder my newest work,
"Typing Transhumanism: The Online Sports Hot Take as a Therapeutic Act" Pick it up in the Psychology/Philosophy section of your favorite book store. There is a good chance you will see some of your own personal meditative and therapeutic work within its pages. Thank you all for your mind expanding contributions.

I'm someone who does not frequent he boards as much in the off season but when basketball season (or football) rolls around I am a junkie. I probably hop in to check on the board 15-20 times a day to see if there are any new threads or posts on created threads. Because I am checking so frequently perhaps my perception is a bit skewed. On game day the threads and post seem to be the norm but on non game days it seems like there is less? I've noticed that I have not seen some board members in awhile as well. Marsh for example. I always used to look forward to his threads on what ever college games might be going on that night and his Big East/ACC tournament pairing updates. I have not seen him in quite some time. As I said earlier perhaps it's just me and it seems there are less posts because I pop in so often during the day and night compared to the off season, and to expect new topics all the time is unrealistic. Any thoughts?

Go Cuse

The number of threads has gone down yearly, but the total number of posts has not. The problem is the ridiculous running mega threads.

Another factor is ppl stay in the lane of already established threads more than they used to back in the day. So discussions continue without a new thread after each game.

Well, it used to. That's what makes it a better joke.
Agreed. I suspect, and maybe i'm wrong, that when we had the pay side, that aspect brought into the fold more insiders/"program" knowledgeable posters in general, and while they posted stuff on that side of the board, they also posted and took part in the community here as a whole.

Now that that has gone, those folks have slowly stopped posting. In addition some board stalwarts have passed on, others have 'matured' and don't have time anymore (Marsh, etc.), some wanted to get paid to start their own site, and took some folks with it, some left for other personal reasons. All said, it's really no surprise the banter and community aspect for folks that have been here a while, seems missing or slowing fading away year by year.

I totally forgot about Iommi and realize I'm missing his posts even though it escaped my attention that he's not here. Hope he's doing well, that guy could flame with the best of them but he's obviously a passionate fan (and I agreed with him more often than not).

With regard to some others, though -- and maybe you're in a better position to speak to their motivations than I am -- it's not surprising that some internet poster who's looking to monetize his opinions will decide to stop posting on a free message board.

It has gotten a little dull around here, but what more is there to say? The negative people are overbearing, certain Pollyannas derail any quasi-controversial hoops conversation by beating up the "you hate Boeheim" straw man, and I think we've all exhausted most of the binary sorts of man/zone, bench/no-bench debates.

I do miss more of the basketball-specific posts made by people like General20, Tom, 007, Cherie, Mason, and that coach guy who used to post (and probably others who I'm forgetting), but again: college basketball is more conservative than ever before and I don't think the few wrinkles that Boeheim's introduced require that many words of analysis. So it's a quiet place...

EDIT: just saw Bees's post, I guess my perception is off and it's not that quiet here.

Mason posts here under a different handle and is in the JB Presser Thread on last night's game. See if you can figure it out :)

to mandate that a poster has to login and write something positive after a win instead of choosing to enjoy the win in his/her own way is the definition of controlling. I spend enough time looking at my phone so if I’d generally rather enjoy a beer on my couch after a win and catch some other games I guess I have unresolved issues. I didn’t realize that pattern of behavior is unheard of.

to mandate that a poster has to login and write something positive after a win instead of choosing to enjoy the win in his/her own way is the definition of controlling. I spend enough time looking at my phone so if I’d generally rather enjoy a beer on my couch after a win and catch some other games I guess I have unresolved issues. I didn’t realize that pattern of behavior is unheard of.

No need for the courtroom theatrics -- nobody is "mandating" anything. I used that example to illustrate a pattern that I see contributing to the decline of board participation -- i.e., pervasive negative posting from a small number of persistent posters who invariably disappear when things are going well.

I lump you into that category based upon your lengthy track record of posting. If you feel that this is an unfair characterization, then by all means -- set the record straight.

So it's fair game to trash the players, coaches and everyone and anything connected to the program, but the posters who feel entitled to dish their crap at every opportunity are off limits?
Nice straw man. Let’s take a survey - which of these seems inappropriate in a basketball forum?

A: the game has passed JB by... the staff can’t recruit like they used to, yada yada

B: your opinion is absurd oblivious and clueless

Let’s cut to the chase: criticism of the staff is ok if you agree with it but it’s considered “trashing” if you disagree. And for the record I save the majority of my critique for the staff because they’re the ones getting paid to deliver an entertaining product.

Simple answer. Internet message boards aren’t hip anymore. This place was here long before Twitter. Back in the day, this was where you came for the insiders take, the voice of the real fan, locker room humor, etc.

Now it’s the empty corner bar that will be out of business in a few years.

Most of the folks, including myself, who are here are getting older. We dont time have the time, nor the energy to give the effort.

Message boards have jumped the shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors