Is the portal just what the doc ordered for JB | Syracusefan.com

Is the portal just what the doc ordered for JB

kcsu

Living Legend
SU seems to finish second for a ton of top notch players. I kid that Little G should start a flower shop for the number of bridesmaid flowers he gets. But seriously it seems that when a kid does transfer he is moving either closer to home or to a program that he seriously considered. Look at Symir and Cole two perfect examples. Looking at the 22 class i hope that we land a few of our top recruits but if not who knows maybe second time will be the charm.

SU seems to finish second for a ton of top notch players. I kid that Little G should start a flower shop for the number of bridesmaid flowers he gets. But seriously it seems that when a kid does transfer he is moving either closer to home or to a program that he seriously considered. Look at Symir and Cole two perfect examples. Looking at the 22 class i hope that we land a few of our top recruits but if not who knows maybe second time will be the charm.
Little G? I will suggest that this is not a good nickname. In fact, if someone called me, a 6'2" professional, successful coach, "Little G", I would be more than a little displeased, and I would have a strong response.
And don't you think that the jokes/ insults about G's recruiting chops are bit old and tiresome by now?

This is like the Joe Girard buffet joke... Just with a lot more mold

Little G? I will suggest that this is not a good nickname. In fact, if someone called me, a 6'2" professional, successful coach, "Little G", I would be more than a little displeased, and I would have a strong response.
And don't you think that the jokes/ insults about G's recruiting chops are bit old and tiresome by now?

Point well taken. Ill call him Gmac going forward. Lets hope that he has grown up and that he starts to land recruits at half the level that hop did

According to my calculations we're a little behind in portaling. I'd take QG/Kadary/Bas over Cole/Symir/JimJr. Kadary>Symir being the real difference IMO.

This is a one off year. Portaling at the extreme. I anticipate things to calm down in future years.

According to my calculations we're a little behind in portaling. I'd take QG/Kadary/Bas over Cole/Symir/JimJr. Kadary>Symir being the real difference IMO.

This is a one off year. Portaling at the extreme. I anticipate things to calm down in future years.
what about benny/cole/symir/jr? lot less clear imo

thats how the coaches are looking at it probably.

Considering team chemistry, the portals are an upgrade, except for Q..

Last edited:
Considering team chemistry, the portals are an upgrade, except for Q..
Not at all. You think symir > kadary? Really? One is a potential nba player, the other is going to be a career backup. Can you guess who is who?

As for chemistry, if any of it was bad, it’s JBs fault (and obviously JBs still here). Kadary and Q really didn’t complain once despite being thrust into roles they didn’t sign up for or playing behind lesser players. Unless if you mean that better chemistry means recruiting “role players” instead of stars so that Buddy (and potentially JB Jr lol) can take all the shots, then yes, I agree we have better chemistry.

Decisions made by the Head Coach affect the team who have to play the way the Head Coach wants them to play.

And yes Symir in 2021/2022 is better than Kadary Richmond who is not playing in Syracuse!!

Live with it and move on because nothing you say or do or complain about will change that fact (Kadary is not playing in Syracuse).

Not at all. You think symir > kadary? Really? One is a potential nba player, the other is going to be a career backup. Can you guess who is who?

As for chemistry, if any of it was bad, it’s JBs fault (and obviously JBs still here). Kadary and Q really didn’t complain once despite being thrust into roles they didn’t sign up for or playing behind lesser players. Unless if you mean that better chemistry means recruiting “role players” instead of stars so that Buddy (and potentially JB Jr lol) can take all the shots, then yes, I agree we have better chemistry.
U Mad Reaction GIF

what about benny/cole/symir/jr? lot less clear imo

thats how the coaches are looking at it probably.
I was weighing just the covid effect. Benny was coming by traditional means, with or without covid and the portal.

I forgot about Sid though, he wouldn't be available if it weren't for covid rules (so yes, I'm slightly changing the analysis from portaling to covid affect)
So Sid/Cole/Symir/JimJr vs QG/Kadary/Bas/Woody. That's close but I now like what we have better.

Plus covid is giving us a potential extra year out of both Buddy and JG3. And I think they'll both use it. We look like we'll be an older, experienced team for the next few years now.

who knows maybe second time will be the charm.
The portal can help now, but when coaches are allowed to fly again to meet with kids in person, JB loses his equalizer. I assume portal recruits can and will be wooed in a very similar fashion to kids straight out of HS.

Perhaps you are not aware of the line that Kadary crossed that no other player has.

I think one factor people are underestimating is we will have an older team. That usually helps in the college game. Joe and Buddy have both been two year starters, Jesse and Symir are in their third years, Cole is in his 4th year of college, bourama/jimmy in their 5th. We should be trotting out a team of experienced men.

also I think most of not all of the guys will be in Cuse over the summer. That should help tremendously with team bonding and figuring out each other’s games as well as improving individual skill sets.

We still have a big hole at point guard. Girard could improve greatly, but we need another guy to provide something odd the bench. Not sure a guy who played sparingly at Marquette is that guy. Other than that, I think we are OK. People will point to not having athleticism at forward but Benny & Cole plus JBJ will be OK. I question the rebounding and weak side blocks that are sometimes needed. But I’m hoping with Edwards/a true center starting, that need will be lessened than in the past 4-5 years.

I think one factor people are underestimating is we will have an older team. That usually helps in the college game. Joe and Buddy have both been two year starters, Jesse and Symir are in their third years, Cole is in his 4th year of college, bourama/jimmy in their 5th. We should be trotting out a team of experienced men.

also I think most of not all of the guys will be in Cuse over the summer. That should help tremendously with team bonding and figuring out each other’s games as well as improving individual skill sets.
agreed. a real PG would be sweet...and make a big diff for this team, imo.

Hopefully theres a grad transfer portal player that could play PG and be cool with a backup role and a chance at winning for 1 year...wouldnt want to bring in a freshman if the 22 class PGs are going to have a role...

Hopefully theres a grad transfer portal player that could play PG and be cool with a backup role and a chance at winning for 1 year...wouldnt want to bring in a freshman if the 22 class PGs are going to have a role...
I don’t see them adding another PG although I wouldn’t mind if they do that. I think we can all agree on though that the PG play from Joe and Symir is going to decide how far and successful this team will be. We just need them to knock down open shots and facilitate the offense. They don’t need to be stars but they need to be consistent and give us positive contributions.

I don’t see them adding another PG although I wouldn’t mind if they do that. I think we can all agree on though that the PG play from Joe and Symir is going to decide how far and successful this team will be. We just need them to knock down open shots and facilitate the offense. They don’t need to be stars but they need to be consistent and give us positive contributions.
Yeah...I just feel like in a "normal" year there are a bunch on players outside the rotation who are still pretty capable and this year that looks to be a danger...

there's gotta be a way to get some end of the bench options through the portal as the season gets closer...but maybe they are worried about chemistry???

I feel like you need that 3rd or 4th option sometimes to be safe...

Perhaps you are not aware of the line that Kadary crossed that no other player has.
Do tell? Or is it just another rumor that people made up to justify kadary transferring? You know, just like how people tried saying kadary was our #1 choice over Andre Jackson to make themselves feel better after losing him to UConn

That could describe Howard Washington.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom