Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Best line of the movie is where Tark claims Butch getting academically accepted to UNLV would be difficult... LMFAO

And how did Bobby Hurley Agree to rep Indiana ?

Last edited:
If I'm Arizona right now, I'm not sure I'm doing anything with Miller, as it relates to the NCAA.

Miller gets rolled by the FBI, so it goes. But I wouldn't sacrifice him to the NCAA. I'd make the NCAA do whatever they're going to do. Things are really broken - I don't see the point of any single program falling on the sword when a whole system is in failure.
No way a college president lets an employee caught in a federal wiretap continue to be employed.

A few unknowns

John Gillon hand written and Syracuse below name

Rob Murphy mention

We are intangibly tied to this so far from the periphery (Tony Bland).

I wonder where this goes next? I'm not so worried we are on tape or in an email, I worry that we will be linked just enough to cast doubt on the program.

Also, I think for the most part that this has been over looked, but Villanova should be sweating. They may end up vacating their NC due to ineligible players

Any coaches who know they are involved in this need to quit right now. Otherwise they are compounding this fraud and will be open to personal lawsuits by any team or player that can prove they have been harmed by them. If these suits go before juries, they will be bankrupted.
I’m not going to great lengths here, only to say I’m against paying players. They have given them that cost of attendance thing which is different at each school, but I remain on the side that says these are amateurs getting paid with a free education which at SU is $65k a year.
For me the education piece sailed when UNC broke

Arizona might be facing the death penalty. Probably not because they’re too important, but dear lord, your head coach on an FBI wiretaps discussing paying a recruit is about as bad as it gets.

If Baylor didn't get it, no one will
We got one of the harshest penalties they have given to a P5 in decades

It's a joke

It's a joke

You will never ever see a school get the death penalty in my opinion. If Louisville, Baylor, and Penn State got by without receiving it, no one ever will.

On this case, and admittedly I did not read the whole article and am not privy to all of the details, what will be interesting to me is how the NCAA will be able to investigate this. If coaches get fired immediately, and named players get suspended and opt to withdraw from school to prepare for the NBA draft, how can the NCAA get players and coaches that are no longer associated with the NCAA to comply with an investigation? They wouldn't have to say a word to the NCAA! Additionally, with how long it takes the NCAA to investigate anything, does anyone really see anything happening immediately besides players being deemed ineligible by the schools? Coach K knows this, and that's why he isn't sitting any of his players that were named in this.

There seems to be people here who want to defend other teams, other coaches, the NCAA, the system for for committing the most serious offense possible: Paying to procure players. Where were they to defend coach Boeheim against the last completely unethical attempt to force him to quit and to further tarnish his accomplishments?

For me the education piece sailed when UNC broke

This is why I think University Presidents and trustees need to step up and end the athletics gold rush, the greed has allowed them to compromise their primary purpose - providing a first rate education.

You have a school provide fraudulent courses and then argue that its ok because they are available to the entire student body. UNC the academic institution should have been EMBARASSED to make this argument.

You have schools cheating, committing criminal acts and fighting with each other over kids that will come play a sport for them and oftentimes not be there long enough to actually complete even a single year of study.

You have Kentucky moving towards a model where their entire roster is filled with kids taking this approach to college athletics.

Last edited:
This is why I think University Presidents and trustees need to step up and end the athletics gold rush, the greed has allowed them to compromise their primary purpose - providing a first rate education.

They're addicted to the gold rush.

A few unknowns

John Gillon hand written and Syracuse below name

Rob Murphy mention

We are intangibly tied to this so far from the periphery (Tony Bland).

I wonder where this goes next? I'm not so worried we are on tape or in an email, I worry that we will be linked just enough to cast doubt on the program.

Also, I think for the most part that this has been over looked, but Villanova should be sweating. They may end up vacating their NC due to ineligible players
Tony Bland has zero to do with us

The jig is up. Time to stop the hypocrisy. Blow up this ridiculous smokescreen of amateur athletics which enriches all those involved, save the players, billions collectively.

It's a joke.

It's a joke
Cash crimes are worse that sex crimes in their eyes. Gotta keep the cash in the system.

So if miller was on the wiretap, why wasnt he arrested previously? Im sure fbi views a college coach as a top dog

Tony Bland has zero to do with us
I know that. But I'm looking at it from the script that Forde and Thamel are crafting. This thing will continue to drip for a few weeks. They have a thing for JB and could try to tie his name to us, by oh I don't know, posting a pic of Bland in an SU uniform standing next to JB when discussing this investigation.

The bigger picture in all of this is the potential NC vacating by Nova if this keeps going where it is going