Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Is the proverbial shoe about to drop on college basketball royalty?

Personally I think some of you guys are paranoid. Pretty much everyone we sign outside of a few guys the past couple years are under the radar prospects nobody else found.

I think any school signing multiple top 5-10 guys is most definitely the biggest culprit here, as are the Bruce Pearls of the world.
If it’s 30-50 schools, it ain’t just top-5 or -10 kids.

Some of the players you mentioned to be in the clear are higher caliber than some already implicated. I think it's naive to think they are all above (or below) it. I would be surprised if our coaches had a hand in money exchanges but not surprised one bit if our players took money from an outside source.

Boeheim's about as hands off as it gets when it comes to what goes on off the court. The concern would be if there were things going on that he didn't know about (or didn't intervene with). The few contacts I still have are pretty adamant that JB doesn't knowingly pay players.

If it’s 30-50 schools, it ain’t just top-5 or -10 kids.

JB is pretty laissez faire with guys off the court, but he doesn’t strike me as a pay for play kind of guy. There’s a reason we backoff certain guys once some schools get involved.

Other outside people I can’t speak for.

It’s clear there’s a lot of other schools doing a lot more cheating than we would though.

Personally I think some of you guys are paranoid. Pretty much everyone we sign outside of a few guys the past couple years are under the radar prospects nobody else found.

I think any school signing multiple top 5-10 guys is most definitely the biggest culprit here, as are the Bruce Pearls of the world.

This is not limited to only McD's All-Americans. There are layers to this, different levels. I've heard of guys who were like honorable mention D.C. metro level players going to mid-majors getting paid. Not six figures, but still taking money to go to one mid-major over another.

And I'll bet your right one
images

Some of the players you mentioned to be in the clear are higher caliber than some already implicated. I think it's naive to think they are all above (or below) it. I would be surprised if our coaches had a hand in money exchanges but not surprised one bit if our players took money from an outside source.

Maybe in a vacuum, but that opinion doesn't pass the sniff test at the macro level-- certainly not when you compare our recruiting to the types of hauls places like Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, and Kansas put together. Every year.

If players took money from an outside source that had nothing to do with our coaches, then I wouldn't worry too much about the ramifications. Not when the reports suggest that there are college basketball landscape changing revelations about to drop.

Maybe in a vacuum, but that opinion doesn't pass the sniff test at the macro level-- certainly not when you compare our recruiting to the types of hauls places like Kentucky, Arizona, Duke, and Kansas put together. Every year.

If players took money from an outside source that had nothing to do with our coaches, then I wouldn't worry too much about the ramifications. Not when the reports suggest that there are college basketball landscape changing revelations about to drop.
I agree there are bigger fish with in the pond but what scares me is that up to this point, it's been in the NCAA's judgement as to what a school should know (see Reggie Bush/USC). If outside hands were at play, I wouldn't expect the benefit of doubt from NCAA based on our past.

IF...this stuff comes out, my guess is there will be two distinct tiers of issues.

1) Schools that have staff members ACTIVELY facilitating or approving payments to players

2) schools that have played players who could be declared ineligible because of payments that were arranged without being facilitated or approved by staff members

I really believe we are not in that top tier.

Bill Self should arrange a trip to Springfield to get a photo of his name before it vanishes into thin air.

I also think they are only talking about 2-3 HOF coaches...not all of them

Pearl is definitely guilty. I also wonder about Gottfried at NC State, another Adidas school. Somehow they beat out everyone for Dennis Smith Jr. and they've had a lot of talent for a program of their stature. Too bad he couldn't coach or they might have actually won something

Didn't one of the recorded phone calls from the Ville investigation have Pitino (or some other Ville coach) saying "we have to be careful because the NCAA is watching"?

Programs probably know what they can get away with if the NCAA is involved - I have a feeling the FBI is a whole different animal.

Well, that's because the FBI can wiretap, and so far as I know, the NCAA cannot.

Boeheim's about as hands off as it gets when it comes to what goes on off the court. The concern would be if there were things going on that he didn't know about (or didn't intervene with). The few contacts I still have are pretty adamant that JB doesn't knowingly pay players.
Well JB has that going for him, which is nice... although that excuse was pretty much laughed at by the NCAA so not sure that matters any.

We recruited Malachi for a while, IIRC. But I feel like Rak came out of nowhere at the end of his recruitment to commit to SU. That scares me.

I think they were all Team Final. Shakey Potatoes, too.
We have always seemed to have relationships with AAU clubs and high schools, and then they change over time. That's how recruiting works.

Burn it all down. Start a legit minor league system.
Lavar? Do you have FBI connections? Trying to take out college basketball and a major sneaker company with one stone? Well played.

No way to know for sure, but with the NCAA hanging on our back porch 8 of the last 10 years (that's how long they investigated SU), my guess is that we are not part of this fray.

If the FBI comes to you a "facilitator" outside the program and says they want to see some financial records, you say "Oh ----"

If the NCAA comes to you a "facilitator" outside the program and says they want to see some financial records you laugh and say "Get the ---- Out"

The NCAA sometimes has to stick to the petty crap because they do not have the jurisdiction or tools to catch the stuff we know is going on at some schools.

Reality might be some teams will be playing their walk ons and their managers.
I should not do this here but we are only an injury or two from "playing walk ons and managers right now"!!!

IF...this stuff comes out, my guess is there will be two distinct tiers of issues.

1) Schools that have staff members ACTIVELY facilitating or approving payments to players

2) schools that have played players who could be declared ineligible because of payments that were arranged without being facilitated or approved by staff members

I really believe we are not in that top tier.

Bill Self should arrange a trip to Springfield to get a photo of his name before it vanishes into thin air.

I also think they are only talking about 2-3 HOF coaches...not all of them

Agreed -- across the board.

I have a bad feeling about this for the reasons you state. I think his hands-off behavior is identical to the guys we are listing. I doubt any of them are willingly engaging in pay for play. I would NEVER root for any school to go down because I don't sit in SUAD and know what we are doing day2day. It all seems to be salacious how we prop up these "kids", recruit them like kings and then give them separate facilities to train in, dorms, etc. It's all a farce cloaked in amateur athletics. (jumping off off soap box). So yes burn it all down for sure but I think we'll be burning ourselves in the process if we're talking real.

I think this will be bad for Syracuse. Usually the tie never goes to SU Hoops when the posse is out to get someone. Our bullseye always blinks.