Is this our actual ceiling for the season? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is this our actual ceiling for the season?

Shot selection is big for this team. They could score an extra 15 points a game by simply taking smart shots. ball movement and not stading around the 3pt line playing 1 on 1.

Also if Marek is the center this team has a low ceiling. He is not a center. IDC who else is in there...but its not him.

On defense the matador style has to end too...if the bench was deeper...players could actually try to block shots and not just ole all day.

Dion Waiters played 16 minutes per game as a freshman. Kadary is better than Dion?

kadary didnt actually do anything in his time on the court though.

JG3 had a good game. His shot selection looked better than it has (still needs to get better)...but 8 assists, 2 TOs is good.

I really like Kadary and I think he probably should've played more this game...but he's gotta produce when hes out there. hes not a threat from 3...and got blocked at least once or twice on drives...I mean this is not the game to go all...why didnt KR play?

he will contribute but this wasn't the game...

I wish Joe and Buddy would sit more when they don’t actually do anything.

You could always, you know, establish some kind of general guard rotation like every other coach does.

We had one in the first half, but then go “let’s try to white Knuckle this scrubby win out by playing both these guys all 20.” That only makes sense when the guy on the bench sucks.

7-2 team that absolutely should be 9-0 and yet we aren't a very good team. I'm not saying I fully disagree but with two pauses and everything being upside-down I think its hard to even have a reliable opinion right now on this squad. We still haven't seen what we look like with our starting center playing alongside a team with a lot of practice time.

The same concerns about coaching and minutes are front and center. Can we give them a pass given the pauses hurt them too? I don't know the answer. What I do know is that far too many, myself included are looking at this from the lens of normalcy when it's not anything close. I am thinking we get as much as we can out of this year and get to a normal off season so we can figure some things out. Hopefully between now and then we get a shot at tourney play as well.

I wish Joe and Buddy would sit more when they don’t actually do anything.

You could always, you know, establish some kind of general guard rotation like every other coach does.

We had one in the first half, but then go “let’s try to white Knuckle this scrubby win out by playing both these guys all 20.” That only makes sense when the guy on the bench sucks.
I wish posters would post less when they say the same thing over and over.

I’ve been around this board for years & years, and I should know better... but I still get stunned by our fans complaining about substitution patterns & player minutes after a WIN against GEORGETOWN. I mean come on, you don’t need to agree with JB’s decisions, but this is the main thread/talking point? I love the board, I’m here a bunch... but it’s disheartening, honestly. I don’t understand & as a lifelong fan, supporter & graduate of SU how this is the take.

buddy and Girard are as good as Triche and Scoop?

Factoring in the small sample size of this season, statistically, they’re pretty darn close. Buddy and Joe are marginally less efficient in points per shot attempt. Triche was the better defender than the others. Scoop’s defense was buttcheeks (but he dropped a couple more dimes per game than Joe).

we’re talking about Sophomore Triche and Junior Scoop.

7-2 team that absolutely should be 9-0 and yet we aren't a very good team. I'm not saying I fully disagree but with two pauses and everything being upside-down I think its hard to even have a reliable opinion right now on this squad. We still haven't seen what we look like with our starting center playing alongside a team with a lot of practice time.

The same concerns about coaching and minutes are front and center. Can we give them a pass given the pauses hurt them too? I don't know the answer. What I do know is that far too many, myself included are looking at this from the lens of normalcy when it's not anything close. I am thinking we get as much as we can out of this year and get to a normal off season so we can figure some things out. Hopefully between now and then we get a shot at tourney play as well.
Fair enough.
But normal season or not, we’ve all seen this movie before.
Kadary has the opportunity to be a very good player for us. You have to make the time for him. The guys in front of him are not all-world enough that your stud freshman PG rides the bench all 2nd half. Surely you should be able to find a happy medium- is that too much to ask for?
God forbid KR is in the portal at year’s end, what do we say then?

Last edited:
I’ve been around this board for years & years, and I should know better... but I still get stunned by our fans complaining about substitution patterns & player minutes after a WIN against GEORGETOWN. I mean come on, you don’t need to agree with JB’s decisions, but this is the main thread/talking point? I love the board, I’m here a bunch... but it’s disheartening, honestly. I don’t understand & as a lifelong fan, supporter & graduate of SU how this is the take.
I hear what your saying but we would have won going away if they played my rotation.

They are down 30 practices and a bunch of players. He’s leaning on vets on the restart.

getting this worked up about a f’ed up regular season is such a waste of energy.

amen

ummm..What?
we should be 9-0?
we just ignoring that juggernaut Bryant missed wide open shots to beat us in game 1?
also powerhouse Northeastern and almighty Buffalo, umimpressive wins vs. less than stellar competition

We have to ride the sinking ship. It is what it is. I can’t believe people think this is a good team.

We just beat a 3-8 team and since it’s GTown, who hasn’t mattered in 25 years, it’s a thing.

We’re toast. If you don’t think the numbers play out, that’s fine. I’m not going to actively rail against those people but we’re in very bad shape.

Happy for the win.

I was very surprised to hear Seth Greenberg say they have missed out on close to 30 practices, didn’t realize it was that much. IMO that’s a pretty big deal. Hopefully we can avoid any other breaks going forward and start to gel as a team because there is talent and potential here we just have to iron out a lot of these kinks. Like mentioned above we are 7-2 but should be 8-1, that Pitt loss is a killer. Still this season is there for us to seize, we just need to capitalize on our opportunities going forward.

Fair enough.
But normal season or not, we’ve all seen this movie before.
Kadary has the opportunity to be a very good player for us. You have to make the time for him. The guys in front of him are not all-world enough that your stud freshman PG rides the bench all 2nd half. Surely you should be able to find a happy medium, no? Is that too much to hope for?
God forbid KR is in the portal at year’s end, what do we say then?

Would he go to the portal averaging 20mpg?

We have to ride the sinking ship. It is what it is. I can’t believe people think this is a good team.

We just beat a 3-8 team and since it’s GTown, who hasn’t mattered in 25 years, it’s a thing.

We’re toast. If you don’t think the numbers play out, that’s fine. I’m not going to actively rail against those people but we’re in very bad shape.

Happy for the win.
Lol. Cmon with this. We have a lot of talent and potential and we are 7-2. We have missed over 30 practices, that’s a big deal. This team needs time to gel, it isn’t a typical season like in the past. We need to iron out the rotations, shot selection etc. We also need to Sid to come back and at least be a serviceable center. But avoiding another bad loss here was huge. Getting this into the W column and moving on is a good result regardless of however it happened.

Happy for the win.
I don’t think we are a top 25 team.
I think we are a NCAAT team.
If that is the expectation for the program then I will accept that.
if we should have higher expectations then the criticism is fair game.

ummm..What?
we should be 9-0?
we just ignoring that juggernaut Bryant missed wide open shots to beat us in game 1?

We lost Sid early and Bryant missed the looks to steal it. We had RU and Pitt where we wanted them. The point is we have two things going on here. The old problems since 2017 that are still here to go with a season where you can't get any sort of read on what we actually are with the pauses. You can't honestly believe we can evaluate this year with a normal lens and that missing so many practices and players on and off is fair game for hammering away. It's just not realistic to take that approach. A lot of being pissed off for not being what we want Cuse Hoops to be and over projecting. It's human... albeit I think it's fair to say some of us are a bit too cynical right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom