Is this the least talented team in Syracuse University men's basketball history? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is this the least talented team in Syracuse University men's basketball history?

This team is more talented than our previous 3 teams IMO. A lot of this team’s talent, depth, and athleticism doesn’t play though for various reasons: injury, illness, or coaching decisions.

Kadary or Howard? Kadary, easily.
Buddy or Battle? Battle, easily.
Brissett or Quincy? Quincy.
Young Marek or old Marek? Old Marek.
Sidibe or Chukwu? Draw.

Those previous teams didn’t have anybody else. We’ve now got Griffin, Woody, and Girard still.

Problems are Sidibe got hurt and has played about 20 minutes. Newton got sick and didn’t see the court in a game for a solid 6 weeks. And Kadary comes off the bench, and spends half his court time pointlessly playing the wing. Most underutilized talent I can remember us having so far. JB always plays the right guys. I’m at a loss.

Shumpert
Williams
Brown
Griffin
Celuck

LOL nope I think I’d roll with them over this year

Those first four were pretty good. Boeheim won 25 with that team. No center and no depth. Amazing.

2000-2001or 2001-2002 didn't necessarily have a ton of talent. They were coached and the roster was managed much better though than this current crop.

Your best guard is coming off the bench. You have a Frosh Forward who was completely absent for a third of the season, a handful of big men who aren't given any chance to play, grow, develop through mistakes even though the starting Center went out four minutes into the year.

Jimmy has completely abandoned his philosophy on how his guards up top are required to play D. His starting guards don't rotate or have any ball movement.

His coaching staff is subpar outside maybe one guy.

There has been zero strength or conditioning in the program, and that's a problem when you recruit 180lb Forwards and Centers.
I agree, this team has been mismanaged. And I agree, there has been zero player development.

However, Preston Shumpert on this team would instantly be our best player. Maybe I have revisionist history, but he was legit those two years.

DeShaun was inconsistent but talented. Much better than the current SG overall. Allen Griffin from '00-01 would start on this team 10 times over. Damone Brown as a senior was better than Quincy Guerrier. Better rebounder, better offensive player.

I agree, this team has been mismanaged. And I agree, there has been zero player development.

However, Preston Shumpert on this team would instantly be our best player. Maybe I have revisionist history, but he was legit those two years.

DeShaun was inconsistent but talented. Much better than the current SG overall. Allen Griffin from '00-01 would start on this team 10 times over. Damone Brown as a senior was better than Quincy Guerrier. Better rebounder, better offensive player.

Griffin would be our best PG in five years, maybe even longer.

Agreed on Shumpert being the best player off either team and yeah if you go position by position, 01 is better at every spot.

Marek is a better player than Celluck/McNeil, but they were legit centers size wise.

Girard probably better than Kouwe.

Just kidding. It’s Girard - Thues. And I’d call it a wash.

we are now throwing away our last marque sport. if jb loves the orange he will announce his retirement after the season. the damage is almost irreparable.
Great post. Unfortunately he wont. Its about him and his ego.

Take a good look at the last 4 recruiting classes and that will give you an indication of why we lack talent and we have a senile old man who can only coach a team that has a lot of talent on it as long as ( JB ) is at the helm this program is going to be bad and when he leaves it might take a couple of years to get back to being a decent program the loss of Hopkins hurt us very bad ask yourself this question how many players on this current roster would have been offered a scholarship back in the glory days of SU. hoops ? maybe 3
Bourama
Quincy
Kadary
Woody
maybe Frank A but cant say for sure

and that list might be generous, big decline in depth of talent

The worst Syracuse team I ever saw was crushed by St John’s on a cold day at the War Memorial in winter of 1961. Been a fan ever since and we have had better teams ever since.

We recruit like crap because we have a nearly 80 year old coach who can't connect with players running antiquated offensive and defensive systems. What little talent we bring in we don't develop. What started as a talent leak turned into a gush and has been left draining long enough where all that remains is the empty container of a once proud and relevant program. Syracuse will not be more than a fringe tournament team - and trending rapidly toward needing several breaks to even make it on the bubble - for as long as Boeheim is allowed to run the program. He might have made the program, but he isn't bigger than the program, and the adults in charge should not have cowardly allowed this farce to continue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom