It’s Official… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Official…

Soccer is growing and growing. Baseball is dying.
If soccer is glorified jogging, baseball is glorified standing and spitting. (BTW I grew up loving baseball and will be venturing to Baltimore in 2 weeks to watch my Orioles, who I still follow.)
You probably are not aware of how big youth soccer is in the area. Far more kids play it than play baseball. Many play year round.

In case you didn't know, the student body and locals fill the stadium to overflow. The place can get pretty loud. There have been discussions of a bigger stadium and a grass pitch.

The men's team puts guys into the MLS on a consistent basis . One guy is a starter on the USMNT.

A baseball team would be a cellar dweller on a regular basis. No southern/western kid would want to come play in the rain and freezing cold when they have other offers.

Few students would go to watch baseball. Also, where would they play? I doubt the Mets would lease the field.

Lastly, that's only 9 scholarships freed up. Fully funded baseball is 11.7 scholarships. I assume that the ACC requires all sports to be fully funded. Also, the ACC would probably have to agree.
Sorry. Was merely channeling and quoting the greatest Twitter account of all time(Three Year Letterman), to see if anyone would catch it.

So LeMoyne can run a top program, but SU can't because the weather is so different up on the Hill?

Not to mention programs at Niagara, University of Buffalo, Canisius, Cornell, St. Bonaventure, Marist and Siena to name a few.

New York College Baseball Programs
I am sure the ACC would require the team to be fully funded. SU would not be able to compete in the ACC.

The MBB program hasn’t been nationally ranked in the final AP poll in 9 years. It hasn’t been ranked at all in the past three seasons. It is not a nationally relevant program right now.
We were ranked in the final (coaches) poll of the 2021 season. That was one season ago. Just sayin. I believe we also jumped into the top 25 or close to it in KenPom and other efficiency metrics by the end of the 2021 postseason. (This is not to suggest that the program isn’t in an extended downturn.)

Last edited:
I am sure the ACC would require the team to be fully funded. SU would not be able to compete in the ACC.

SU would have trouble competing for a championship at program formation no question, but it would be ridiculous to think they couldn’t recruit players and put together teams that would allow them to be competitive. There have been very good players that have come out of upstate New York and they don’t all want to get away.

I don't think that can possible be true. We went to the final four in 2016. I would guess that we would have been ranked at the end of that season but maybe not.
We were ranked at the end of 2016 and 2021. He just cherry picked the AP poll, which only puts out a final regular season poll. The coaches and others put out a final poll after the post season. Not to mention we jumped into the top 25 (or close to it) in most efficiency metrics too (which are arguably more relevant).

Receipts:
Also, #26 at the end of the 2018 season:

Last edited:
SU would have trouble competing for a championship at program formation no question, but it would be ridiculous to think they couldn’t recruit players and put together teams that would allow them to be competitive. There have been very good players that have come out of upstate New York and they don’t all want to get away.
Every 5 years or so. True story. My oldest liked baseball. He was tall, left handed, and his ball had a ton of movement. Friend of mine was a fraternity brother of Tony Gwynn, so of course my son became interested in SDSU, (a totally unrealistic hope, btw) because Gwynn was coaching there at the time. My friend saw Tony and told him about my son. Tony asked him where he lived. When he told him Syracuse, Tony said, “the first thing he has to do is move”.

My friend saw Tony and told him about my son. Tony asked him where he lived. When he told him Syracuse, Tony said, “the first thing he has to do is move”.

And what would Tony Gwynn know about living in Syracuse??? And of course San Diego State isn’t recruiting players from upstate New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom