It’s Portal time! | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

It’s Portal time!

Why would any of these guys want to come here to fill depth and get 5 minutes of PT when they are starters or 6th men already?

Believe it or not, some people are competitive and aren't afraid of earning their minutes.

Braswell was able to take minutes from AG and Joe lost minutes to Kadary (not soon enough).

Maybe they want to be part of a bigger program and have more tv exposure.

Believe it or not, some people are competitive and aren't afraid of earning their minutes.

Braswell was able to take minutes from AG and Joe lost minutes to Kadary (not soon enough).

Maybe they want to be part of a bigger program and have more tv exposure.
The majority of our games were on the same streaming service I could watch every MEAC game on.

this idea of tv exposure in 2021 is nonsense. Scouts know all the good players at every level

With what we have as of right now for next season and with the monster class that we're working on for 2022 I think it makes the sense why we aren't seeing our name attached to the big boys in the portal.

I like the core that we have in place for next season (assuming Jimmy B is coming) and if the staff is confident the '22 class is going to be 4-5 deep I would be fine with filling the rest of next year's roster with one year guys who are cool with being depth pieces. The bottom third of our roster will probably be ugly but with Buddy/Benny/Cole/Joe and possibly Quincy being here I doubt any noteworthy transfers would want to come compete for shots anyways.

It might be the off-season optimism kicking in early but I don't have any complaints... yet

The majority of our games were on the same streaming service I could watch every MEAC game on.

this idea of tv exposure in 2021 is nonsense. Scouts know all the good players at every level
Yeah, why do people think we’re on tv? I watched more games in my office on a bandit Reddit stream than I did on the big screen in the basement.

Stupid Comcast

I 100% agree about tv exposure in terms of scouts but playing on ESPN in front of 20k+ means something to most kids. Especially when they've been playing on ESPN+ or FloHoops.

Playing on national tv is cool lol and even if tv exposure in terms of scouting is nonsense I'm sure high-major coaches successfully pitch it to up-transfers

I 100% agree about tv exposure in terms of scouts but playing on ESPN in front of 20k+ means something to most kids. Especially when they've been playing on ESPN+ or FloHoops.

Playing on national tv is cool lol and even if tv exposure in terms of scouting is nonsense I'm sure high-major coaches successfully pitch it to up-transfers

does it though? It USED to...no doubt...but yet the final 4 included Baylor, Gonzaga, and Houston.

how many times was Houston on national tv this year?

this is a different generation used to streaming. I don’t think it plays as much as we think

does it though? It USED to...no doubt...but yet the final 4 included Baylor, Gonzaga, and Houston.

this is a different generation used to streaming. I don’t think it plays as much as we think
I think you’re talking about different things.

Houston getting very little exposure this year has nothing to do with them being good. They can be very good but also never be on ESPN.

18 of Houston's regular season games were on national tv and 11 of those were on ESPN/ESPN 2/ABC.

Much easier to tell your family and buddies back home to turn their tv on to channel 24 than it is to tell them to get on their laptop and buy a ESPN+ subscription. And it looks way cooler on your Instagram story.

Might not matter as much as it used to but playing even AAC basketball is big time compared to most mid-major leagues in every aspect. TV included.

18 of Houston's regular season games were on national tv and 11 of those were on ESPN/ESPN 2/ABC.

Much easier to tell your family and buddies back home to turn their tv on to channel 24 than it is to tell them to get on their laptop and buy a ESPN+ subscription. And it looks way cooler on your Instagram story.

Might not matter as much as it used to but playing even AAC basketball is big time compared to most mid-major leagues in every aspect. TV included.

Hmm,,I think you are underestimating cord cutting. ..but fair enough on your larger point, I guess comparing a Low to mid major to a AAC is notable enough as you mention.

Are we going after any of these kids?

Seems like a ton of opportunities to increase talent and or depth.
These kids aren’t in the portal to be depth. Heck, even high school recruits don’t want to be depth. We can wait until the end and then be clear about the role for whoever is up for coming. Feels like the realistic option to not just repeat what we had this season.

These kids aren’t in the portal to be depth. Heck, even high school recruits don’t want to be depth. We can wait until the end and then be clear about the role for whoever is up for coming. Feels like the realistic option to not just repeat what we had this season.

I'd still like to get someone with potential who wants to knock off a starter.

You may be right that the coaches are waiting for things to settle.

This might very well be the coaching staff's strategy. There are over 1300 in the portal now. Come mid-summer, there might be more than a few decent players looking around and wondering if the train is passing them by.

I disagree with this. There are the same number of spots as always and the same number of players as always (except the seniors who stay, which wont be many, and they dont take a scholly spot away).

Anybody who is D1 caliber is going to find a spot someplace unless teams choose to carry fewer scholarship players than normal, which I think is very unlikely.

Does that mean everybody will be happy with where they land? No. But seeing as how there is going to be something close to a third of all college basketball players transferring, its very obvious a lot (maybe even most) players weren't happy anyway.
theres going to be more players than normal though with the extra year...going to be players who would typically get in to p5 that won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom