It may be Time | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

It may be Time

Four wins next year against that schedule is an awful season. If he only wins 4 next year it is obvious we need to move on. The longer you wait the bigger the hole for the next guy.

After the team completely falls apart and only wins 1 game, with obviously problems behind closed doors, do you honestly think they will be expected to make a bowl game next year?

We had better talent across the board back then...until we didn’t.

Why?
Because at that point, the administration let the facilities go to hell. Hard to recruit against shiny new things that other schools have and you don't.

Marrone begged for it and they didnt listen, so he left. They cheaped out on Shafer and he couldnt recruit either.

It's hard to recruit to SU. We need Oregon like facilities to draw kids in but just can't afford them.

Oregon with our facilities and budget would recruit about the same as we do now IMO.

After the team completely falls apart and only wins 1 game, with obviously problems behind closed doors, do you honestly think they will be expected to make a bowl game next year?

I don’t know about expected.

But with good health, it might happen. Should have a lot of experience on the OL.

I wish it was a case of being able to cut some troublemakers loose but obviously we aren't in a place to do that. Instead we need leaders to step up and the coaching staff to start coming down on guys. A couple bad apples in the locker room can spread disease. If they don't get it under control it will be hard for the team to bounce back next year. Just my opinion.

I don’t know about expected.

But with good health, it might happen. Should have a lot of experience on the OL.

Something has gone very wrong with the culture since Dungey left.

“With players he didn’t recruit”...I tune out as soon as someone says this.

Lets me know they have a major agenda.
Major agenda? Facts don’t care about feelings. What agenda could I possibly have lol? I don’t have any power inside the hiring and firing procedures at Syracuse.

Major agenda? Facts don’t care about feelings. What agenda could I possibly have lol? I don’t have any power inside the hiring and firing procedures at Syracuse.

You appear to want the coach fired so badly that you feel the need to try to devalue a 10-3 season.

Good luck.

I wish it was a case of being able to cut some troublemakers loose but obviously we aren't in a place to do that. Instead we need leaders to step up and the coaching staff to start coming down on guys. A couple bad apples in the locker room can spread disease. If they don't get it under control it will be hard for the team to bounce back next year. Just my opinion.

Or maybe the coaches lost trust of the players with their handling of COVID. The players struck at least twice that we heard about. They started the summer only testing once a week.

Plus there's the whole DeVito situation. Something's not right. Dino looks like a beaten man compared to a couple years ago.

Maybe. I bet the culture would be fine if we were any good, though.

Well, let's put it this way. Last season, coming off the 10 win season, they should have won 8 games. They won 5, and never seemed like a team the whole time.

Now, the kids have no real spring ball, and then they go on strike 2 or 3 times this summer because of the lack of COVID testing. A lot of kids opted out, or have gotten hurt, or both.

There's no conceivable way we should be THIS bad this year.

You appear to want the coach fired so badly that you feel the need to try to devalue a 10-3 season.

Good luck.
I’m not devaluing it, I enjoyed it immensely, in fact I liked it so much I bought 6 extra season tickets because of it. I also spent probably another $4000 on hotels, restaurants, tickets and miscellaneous traveling around the east coast watching them. However now they are dumpster juice. And Dino has said from the get go he wants to be “consistently good, not occasionally great.” Well now he has been consistently horrid and great once.

I’m not devaluing it, I enjoyed it immensely, in fact I liked it so much I bought 6 extra season tickets because of it. I also spent probably another $4000 on hotels, restaurants, tickets and miscellaneous traveling around the east coast watching them. However now they are dumpster juice. And Dino has said from the get go he wants to be “consistently good, not occasionally great.” Well now he has been consistently horrid and great once.

So the “hE wOn WiTh SuM oF sHaFeRs ReCrUiTs“ is dumb?

Agreed.

As a bills fan, I’ll admit the greatest football coach in my life is Belicheck. His biggest strength is his ability to change his strategy to match his team and opponents, year after year, game after game. My biggest complaint is that Babers is the opposite... one trick pony, at least on offense. Which is interesting because Babers seems to let the DC do his thing while Babers focuses on offense.

I think Babers is a good guy and seems to be doing a bit better recruiting-wise. I stand by what I’ve always said... if he can’t fix it then turn the lights off, this is done. But it would be helpful if Babers demonstrated some capacity to game plan for the opponent and make an adjustment or two to his offense each year.

What about Belichick this year? Lost his golden boy in the offseason, COVID and injuries have dismantled his team this year. Is he a bad coach now?

I was 90% sure the 2020 football season was no more than an exhibition the moment COVID blew up the ACC basketball tournament. Then, when we got word of massive issues on the OL, it went to 96%. (Special shout out to the re-made schedule featuring less winnable games in favor of national title contenders.)

If you were given a “free” season where eligibility didn’t matter and you had almost no shot at a division title or any other goals you might have - AND - you had massive injuries to your OL - BUT - you had some guys who were seniors and wanted to do right by them... how would that look? This season was always about getting better for 2021. Especially, with the uncertainty of even making it through the season when camp started. Dino also has stability in his contract situation that allows this to be a growth year; to bank experience and explore what they have.

ALL of that being said, I think judgements on his performance as coach should be seen through this lens, and ADW sees it that way too.

He and the team have a lot of runway. It will be a while until we see if it worked.

Yeah once we started losing the local/state talent it became tough sledding. Losing Mike Hart from the university's literal back door was a dagger but was just a sign of the coming troubles. I get that some say that a 3* in Florida is better than a 4* in NY (sometimes true) it doesn't mean we should be okay with losing all the NYS top talent.

Can't lose what you never had.

Mike Hart grew up a life long Michigan fan.

He was never playing here.

So the “hE wOn WiTh SuM oF sHaFeRs ReCrUiTs“ is dumb?

Agreed.
Why is it dumb? Recruiting is part of the job.

Developing talent, game planning, and in-game decisions are, too. Then, somewhere along the line, the afore-mentioned elements should manifest in a record.

The roster is not a mess

Injuries decimated the roster this year

Stability at QB and OL next year changes everything

Also year one of a new D system and a new OC
Unless we lose a ton of players, I think we have a shot at being decent next year. We probably won't be 2018 good, but we will have a legitimately formidable team.

Can't lose what you never had.

Mike Hart grew up a life long Michigan fan.

He was never playing here.
I don't know. Pay the phone company to drop all michigan based telephone connections then? lol

Why is it dumb? Recruiting is part of the job.

Developing talent, game planning, and in-game decisions are, too. Then, somewhere along the line, the afore-mentioned elements should manifest in a record.

We went 10-3 in 2018. Period.

We went 10-3 in 2018. Period.
Context matters. Period.

...unless you really want to have a record discussion witout context. Then we will likely only have 1 win this year, and we've had poor records every year but 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom