It pains me to say this, but Danny Hurley is the best coach in CBB right now | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It pains me to say this, but Danny Hurley is the best coach in CBB right now

I bite my tongue when i say this but they have a better program than us. The National Championships difference outweighs anything anyone can think of to put us on the same level. We need to win a few more to be in the conversation and we will still be behind.

Between UCONN's men's and women's basketball programs, what they have accomplished over the past quarter century is beyond dazzling. They are a machine . . . a basketball assembly line of National Championships.

We should stop raging and start taking notes. Not a fan of theirs, but let's face facts, no one does it more consistently, or gets better results than UCONN's men's AND women's basketball teams.

As a fan of excellence, I appreciate what they have accomplished.

I'm not sure if its been that dazzling prior to the last 2 or 3 years (at least going back to 2012). 2023 and 2024 are really the only two really good teams they had all that period. I don't see what they did between 2012-2021 (or even 2010-2022) as anything we would want to emulate in terms of program performance. Because teams that do that aren't going to get as lucky in March.

I agree with the OP that Hurley has now taken UConn back to being a dominant team He has clearly elevated the program from where it was. Them winning the NC is not a major surprise mor filled with breaks now. Where the 2023 and 2024 teams fit the profile of a truly dominant team, rather than a team that is remarkably lucky in March like 2014 (and 2011 as well). Last year even as a 4 seed, they just felt dominant from the beginning, and this year they were dominant all year.

Is this our goal over our next 10 regular seasons? (UConn between 2012-2021)
Make the tournament 4 times, miss it 6 times.
Get seeds as follows - 7,7,9.9
Have a 3 years in a row where we are below .500

Sure they got a national title in there, but 99%+ of teams that follow this path over a 10 year period are not sniffing a national title. If we get a 7.7.9,9 in the next 10 years we are not getting a national title either, and likely not even a FInal 4.

Our goal could be what Hurley has done to re-elevate the program. But I don't think we want to learn a single damn thing from what they did between 2010-2021. Getting 2 national titles out of that was luck.

Last edited:
Don’t they have like 4 players on the NBA draft radar? I can only hope that all go pro.
I know Newton and Spencer are 5th year players so they will be gone.

Don’t they have like 4 players on the NBA draft radar? I can only hope that all go pro.
Clingan and Castle will be first round picks.

Would any of our players even see as much as some reserve time on their team? That will answer the question of just how far ahead they currently are than us as a program.

I bite my tongue when i say this but they have a better program than us. The National Championships difference outweighs anything anyone can think of to put us on the same level. We need to win a few more to be in the conversation and we will still be behind.
I dont think ANYONE in the country who follows college bball disagrees with that. They are the best program in past 25 years by a long shot atp

Lengthy article but it provides a nice sense of the offensive scheme Hurley has put in place.
And a little more about him and his personality.

No iso-ball.
Perhaps something the Orange need to shake.

Their offense is fun to watch. There is sometimes a lot of movement for the sake of movement — like motion in football. But when they get into their real actions it’s a beautiful brand of basketball. Sucks to say it, but it’s absolutely true.

I'm not sure if its been that dazzling prior to the last 2 or 3 years (at least going back to 2012). 2023 and 2024 are really the only two really good teams they had all that period. I don't see what they did between 2012-2021 (or even 2010-2022) as anything we would want to emulate in terms of program performance. Because teams that do that aren't going to get as lucky in March.

I agree with the OP that Hurley has now taken UConn back to being a dominant team He has clearly elevated the program from where it was. Them winning the NC is not a major surprise mor filled with breaks now. Where the 2023 and 2024 teams fit the profile of a truly dominant team, rather than a team that is remarkably lucky in March like 2014 (and 2011 as well). Last year even as a 4 seed, they just felt dominant from the beginning, and this year they were dominant all year.

Is this our goal over our next 10 regular seasons? (UConn between 2012-2021)
Make the tournament 4 times, miss it 6 times.
Get seeds as follows - 7,7,9.9
Have a 3 years in a row where we are below .500

Sure they got a national title in there, but 99%+ of teams that follow this path over a 10 year period are not sniffing a national title. If we get a 7.7.9,9 in the next 10 years we are not getting a national title either, and likely not even a FInal 4.

Our goal could be what Hurley has done to re-elevate the program. But I don't think we want to learn a single damn thing from what they did between 2010-2021. Getting 2 national titles out of that was luck.
How's that saying go, I'd rather be lucky than good?

Think you are parsing their record a little too fine. The goal IS, to win National Championships, not to have the most aesthetically pleasing cumulative record over a given time span.

Anyway, don't believe there is a program in the country that would turn down an offer of 5 NCs in the next 24 years, even if you told them there would be a few down years and even some sub-.500 seasons mixed in with that. Let's not even ponder they are the favorites to win number 6 this year, which would give them back-to-back championships.

Turning down UCONNs basketball accomplishments of the past quarter-century because the down years are unacceptable would be like the guy who considers turning down a winning MegaMillions ticket because he doesn't want to pay the taxes. File that under, problems I'd like to have.

Hurley is an old school heel HC which college hoops desperately needs.

He has personality, moxy, says occasional stupid things, is a great sound bite, and his players love him.

We need more Hurleys not less.

Last year, they clearly had the best team in the country. Yet, they didn't win the regular season Big East title nor did they win the Big East Tournament. I would slow roll the best coach in the country. They have it going right now, let's see how he handles adversity. I have a feeling it won't be well.

I would say he's the "Most Effective" HC in D1 men's basketball..

I wouldn't say "Best Coach"... "Best" includes a host of positive behavioral character traits Hurley doesn't possess.

In other words, he's acts like a dee-bag in public way too often... but that aside, he IS most effective D1 men's b-ball HC in the country.
So he is Trump of college hoops

Didn't they put 2 or 3 guys in the league last year?

Last year, they clearly had the best team in the country. Yet, they didn't win the regular season Big East title nor did they win the Big East Tournament. I would slow roll the best coach in the country. They have it going right now, let's see how he handles adversity. I have a feeling it won't be well.
If you were starting a program from scratch right now with no budgetary constraints and could have anyone who would be the first coach you would hire?

Didn't they put 2 or 3 guys in the league last year?
Hawkins was drafted. Sanogo was not, although he’s currently on a two way I believe.

If you were starting a program from scratch right now with no budgetary constraints and could have anyone who would be the first coach you would hire?

He's clearly on the very very very short list.

I hate UConn. I hate Hurley. I still hate Jake Voskuhl with the fire of a thousand suns.

But they are a bulldozer right now and Hurley would be on anyone's list that had unlimited resources.

On the college level, if you could trade coaches, what team has a coach that UConn would even pick up the phone for?

Now I feel gross, thank you.