It's all about depth | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's all about depth

Disagree. A player can only play one position at a time. Hence, 40 minutes of time available for that player. Based upon minutes played, what percentage of the 40 available minutes did said player play?
If players only played one position I would agree with you. We know that's not the case with this team. Lydon is being asked to be the backup PF and C. If we had adequate depth he would likely only be playing at the 4. Probably playing the same amount of total minutes but Roberson's minutes would go down.

Bottom line: this team has 1/2 a center and no point guard. If you distributed it by "minutes played in their natural position" then few beyond Cooney and Roberson would have normal distribution of minutes.

If players only played one position I would agree with you. We know that's not the case with this team. Lydon is being asked to be the backup PF and C. If we had adequate depth he would likely only be playing at the 4. Probably playing the same amount of total minutes but Roberson's minutes would go down.

Bottom line: this team has 1/2 a center and no point guard. If you distributed it by "minutes played in their natural position" then few beyond Cooney and Roberson would have normal distribution of minutes.

Playing multiple positions is irrelevant. A player can only play one position at a time. And a player can only play 40 minutes in a game, no matter how many positions their versatility enables them to play. Lydon minutes shouldn't get discounted because he plays both center and PF. If he plays 30 minutes splitting time between both positions, then he's played 75% of the game. Not 37.5%, as you contend above, just because he's capable of filling in at two different positions.

I don't dispute your contention that this team lacks adequate depth at several positions.

Forget depth...we're lacking ACC caliber starters.

At two positions, I completely agree.

And as Jake pointed out, having superior PG is so freaking game changing in college basketball that not having one is a lopsided, disastrous disadvantage. With a great lead guard, we could overcome the deficiency in the pivot. But unfortunately, we are subpar [putting it mildly] at poth positions.

This is why I'm a bit concerned about next year. Howard shows promise as a PG, but he's not getting much experience this year. And Battle, who seems to have been promised the lead guard role, doesn't play PG in high school.

This is why I'm a bit concerned about next year. Howard shows promise as a PG, but he's not getting much experience this year. And Battle, who seems to have been promised the lead guard role, doesn't play PG in high school.

A legitimately valid concern. Barring the unforeseen, we could be LOADED at every position, with quality depth, everywhere but PG. Hope it doesn't prove to be the team's Achilles heel next season.

Nice try, but this is still an idiotic response. A player can only play one position at a time. D'OH!

Howard was gradually getting into games until he got sick. I think you'll see more of him as the year goes on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom