It's hard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's hard

Ehh. The NFL, College and High schools are littered with with coaches who know a lot but for various reasons were not able to translate that into success. Vic Fangio has had zilch for success as a head coach but is well regarded as a DC. It just ended up not working out for Dino. We thought we had something with the 10 win season and it wasn't sustained. happens. Moving on but I don't think Dino was trying to fool anyone and has probably forgotten more about football than some of us will ever know.

Whether it was Vic Fangio, Romeo Crennel, Pat Shurmur, etc., etc., it wasn't their right seat on the bus. Even though many aspire to be head coaches, top of their professions, etc. and all had their shots, their right seat has been at their respective coordinator levels.

He isn’t a good coach game day. Not sure anyone can debate that. Soft aspects of being a hc he’s an a plus. He is respectful, represents school awesome and players seem to like him a lot.

We need a good to great game day coach. We have a guy who coaches like I played techmo bowl
Had Eric run all the plays Dino wanted in 2018, Dino probably would have been gone already, except Eric wanted to win.

Had Eric run all the plays Dino wanted in 2018, Dino probably would have been gone already, except Eric wanted to win.
Was Dino really calling the plays over the Offensive Coordinator? Dino typically looks like he just stands there on the sideline with the best seat in the house.

rutgers is now shaming us. they were losing by 5pts to osu half way through the 4th quarter they have a great defense and a pretty decent ol. they have a bad qb. packed stadium.
we have a great defense. i am no schiano fan but got to hand it to rutgers . he does have state money backing him. no matter what we think about their deficit.
Meh, there's only 2 groups of people in the world who compare SU and Rutgers - the fanbases of each school. I don't feel any shame from Rutgers' performance. I wish I could say I didn't feel shame from SUs performance, however.

Eminence front is the best song and the rest of that album sucks
I think the Who even think the album sucks. Saw an interview with Daltrey a while back and he said they basically wouldn’t play anything off it for a long time.

We haven’t made progress, he makes excuses during press conferences, we have no quarterbacks right now one had a dead arm before the year started and never should have started. Another was a four star qb who had a rocket arm who can’t make simple reads and pass the ball accurately. Some of the is misfortune, some of it is getting players in bad position, not debating how nice he is and I’ve said before he can represent the University another way but not as head football coach

Maybe that's how this gets done. Offer Dino another position within the University.

A rebuild isn't the same as before with the transfer portal. Before it took a long time, and you had players who didn't fit a system. Now a new coach goes out and searches the portal for the players that are a fit, and hopefully get enough to come that you start with making a bottom feeder bowl game, and oh, that means we are already ahead of now.

Dunno about that... Our problems are depth-related as much as anything else...

i.e. When you get to tier 2 and 3 on the depth chart, we have players that aren't fit for primetime and it shows.

That's been one of Dino's big Achilles heels since he arrived - getting satisfactory depth on the team and KEEPING it stocked. It's a big challenge - especially when many players think they can get more playing time and/or money going portal nowadays.

You couple that with the fact that we seem to rack up more injuries than other teams (whether it's poor strength and conditioning, poor technique, players doing dumb things on the field, or a dome turf that enhances the probability of more injuries - or likely a combination of all the above...)

We get A LOT of injured players, year in and year out.

A successful replacement HC is gonna have to solve this and it's no small task... and building and keeping depth takes time.

It really blows they didn’t let him go after ‘21 and try to get Leipold. KU is going to 2 straight bowls. Anybody who knows ball realized Dino was not a good coach probably well before ‘21. Unfortunately , the university doesn’t take football seriously…

Maybe that's how this gets done. Offer Dino another position within the University.
I’d say that would be a great idea and he is a good representative of the university

I act think this is his best coaching year

Had it not delayed he would have beat a top 5 ACC team (bc) and prob would have gotten the job.

Something is up w Sluka his best player too and the backup has gotten good quickly.

JW would be dumb not to interview him to get his sense of rebuild. Even if they don’t hire him he has done 3 superb rebuilds. The basics are the same throughout football on the field, building staff etc
I think he brings a lot of positives. Great game planning, has a track record of success at previously bad programs, he's young and has ties to the northeast so may be less likely to bolt for CA or FL. I'd really only have two concerns with him.

My biggest concern is that he's spent his entire career in the northeast/mid-Atlantic Catholic school ecosystem. That comes with its own built in recruiting network that he wouldn't be able to rely on here. Those schools have enough talent to feed FCS, DII, and DIII. The few P5 prospects that they generate are going to ND and BC, not SU. So even though he's got roots in the northeast and I'm sure understands our recruiting situation, all of his existing ties are to a parochial school system that he can't really tap into here. He'd have to expand his recruiting network and relationships beyond what they are now.

Secondly, recruiting at the P5 is different. He hasn't really had to manage the transfer portal in FCS, at least not nearly to the extent he would here. He also hasn't had to deal with NIL at all. Those will become very critical very fast if, once Dino leaves, a third of the roster portals out. Chesney wouldn't have much time to figure it out.

Still, we could do a lot worse. I'd rather see Chesney hired than a 60 year old retread coach from the south or west that's had middling success all over FBS.

It really blows they didn’t let him go after ‘21 and try to get Leipold. KU is going to 2 straight bowls. Anybody who knows ball realized Dino was not a good coach probably well before ‘21. Unfortunately , the university doesn’t take football seriously…
I'd argue that they didn't let him go in '21 because they did take football seriously. SU went all-in with an enormous contract on a coach that nobody in college football thought we could retain after a 10-3 season. The fact that it stuck us with an unaffordable buyout was a direct result of trying to take football seriously. The fact that it didn't work out is unfortunate, but literally any athletic director in the country would have done exactly the same thing.

I'd argue that they didn't let him go in '21 because they did take football seriously. SU went all-in with an enormous contract on a coach that nobody in college football thought we could retain after a 10-3 season. The fact that it stuck us with an unaffordable buyout was a direct result of trying to take football seriously. The fact that it didn't work out is unfortunate, but literally any athletic director in the country would have done exactly the same thing.
I’ll give you the contract extension after ‘18 was them taking it seriously. However, I don’t think there is any other P5 program that would have retained Dino into ‘22 after the previous 3 seasons. They were not willing to eat money and pay the buyout. Coaches at Vanderbilt and Kansas have had shorter leashes. This makes it an unserious program.

My point also is that it's not a good look that they couldn't recognize he wasn't a good coach after that three-year span.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll give you the contract extension after ‘18 was them taking it seriously. However, I don’t think there is any other P5 program that would have retained Dino into ‘22 after the previous 3 seasons. They were not willing to eat money and pay the buyout. Coaches at Vanderbilt and Kansas have had shorter leashes. This makes it an unserious program.

My point also is that it's not a good look that they couldn't recognize he wasn't a good coach after that three-year span.
I am pretty sure most of the schools that you see eating huge buyouts are getting the majority of the buyout from donors. I don't think that the schools are ponying up the dollars. Syracuse should be able to handle a one year buyout. More than that requires outside help . Meaning Syracuse is no different than others in that regard. The difference is other, larger schools may have a donor base who are willing to do that.

rutgers is now shaming us. they were losing by 5pts to osu half way through the 4th quarter they have a great defense and a pretty decent ol. they have a bad qb. packed stadium.
we have a great defense. i am no schiano fan but got to hand it to rutgers . he does have state money backing him. no matter what we think about their deficit.
And there it is- the obligatory mention from the ROSUF (Rutgers-obsessed SU Fans) choir.
Sorry, I just can't use Rutgers as a reference point for our success or failure. It is, was, and always will be a pathetic aspect of some in our fan base, and a personal pet peeve. JMHO

I am pretty sure most of the schools that you see eating huge buyouts are getting the majority of the buyout from donors. I don't think that the schools are ponying up the dollars. Syracuse should be able to handle a one year buyout. More than that requires outside help . Meaning Syracuse is no different than others in that regard. The difference is other, larger schools may have a donor base who are willing to do that.
You’re telling me they couldn’t afford a buyout of what 3 years? What a joke. Unserious.

We signed an extension...really tough to waste $15M or so

again we don't have serious enough or adequate number of donors to get rid of Dino in 21. That's how it gets done. You think the state of Louisiana paid 17 mil to get rid of Eddie O, you think USC paid for the removal of Helton or Lane out of their own coffers? No donors did. You think ND paid for the removal of Charlie Weiss back in the day? No the donors did

Florida bought out Mullen for $12 mil and he is getting payments from them through 2027.

I get, we are not Florida...

That said, Dino's buyout is about 1/3 of that.

If we can't buyout Dino at $4 mil, we really have no business being a P5 Football school...

Public school buyouts (ranked) for comparison:

School Buyout (as of Dec. 1, 2021)

1. Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M - $95.58 million
2. Dabo Swinney, Clemson - $47.50 million
3. Nick Saban, Alabama - $38.40 million
4. Tom Allen, Indiana - $30.00 million
5. Ryan Day, Ohio State - $28.42 million
6. Matt Campbell, Iowa State - $28.33 million
7. Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma - $25.19 million
8. Josh Heupel, Tennessee - $20.67 million
9. Steve Sarkisian, Texas - $20.60 million
10. Neal Brown, West Virginia - $20.46 million
11. Scott Frost, Nebraska - $20.42 million
12. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati - $20.40 million
13. Mark Stoops, Kentucky - $19.92 million
14. Mel Tucker, Michigan State - $19.28 million
15. Greg Schiano, Rutgers - $19.22 million
16. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin - $19.10 million
17. Jeff Brohm, Purdue - $18.97 million
18. Kyle Whittingham, Utah - $18.25 million
19. Bryan Harsin, Auburn - $17.79 million
20. Ed Orgeron, LSU - $17.15 million
21. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa - $16.50 million
22. Mike Norvell, FSU - $16.22 million
23. Justin Wilcox, California - $16.16 million
24. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota - $15.85 million
25. Chris Klieman, Kansas State - $15.49 million
26. Mario Cristobal, Oregon - $15.03 million
27. Karl Dorrell, Colorado - $14.80 million
28. Kirby Smart, Georgia - $14.61 million
29. Geoff Collins, Georgia Tech - $14.07 million
30. Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia - $13.28 million
31. Dan Mullen, Florida - $12.00 million
32. Eliah Drinkwitz, Missouri - $11.55 million
33. Herm Edwards, Arizona State - $11.41 million
34. Lance Leipold, Kansas - $10.65 million
35. Jimmy Lake, Washington - $10.42 million

100% some just can't or don't want to grasp the concept. The fans aren't "serious" or ravenous enough or there aren't many left. It's really not that hard to comprehend.

100% some just can't or don't want to grasp the concept. The fans aren't "serious" or ravenous enough or there aren't many left. It's really not that hard to comprehend.
We got a taste of the good life back when Pitt BC Rutgers and PSU sucked and back when people had to be nearby to see their kids play and back when racists didn't want black QBs

It was nice, I think it should've been nicer, but whatever. it's over and we are screwed. 1991 is as far away from 2023 as the 1959 national championship was from 1991

we should do what other schools who are screwed do - hire someone weird and throw it all day and have fun once in a while

We got a taste of the good life back when Pitt BC Rutgers and PSU sucked and back when people had to be nearby to see their kids play and back when racists didn't want black QBs

It was nice, I think it should've been nicer, but whatever. it's over and we are screwed. 1991 is as far away from 2023 as the 1959 national championship was from 1991

we should do what other schools who are screwed do - hire someone weird and throw it all day and have fun once in a while

Don't disagree one bit, would take a hell of a coach to right the ship, what the ceiling would be I have no idea but you aren't going to find that coach playing it safe. The bigger the risk the less Syracuse would have to pay up front as well.