Its super sad | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Its super sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We agree that recruiting is the problem. Why did recruiting become a problem when we joined the ACC? I don't believe in coincidences. We are out-of-place, a NE team in a southern conference.

Was it a problem when we got a commitment from Bazley?

Was it a problem when we got a commitment from Dior?

Baze saw an opportunity to get paid right away by skipping college ball. The new NIL rules gave Dior an opportunity to get paid in HS (if he even makes it to college).

If anything, our conference affiliation helped in recruiting both those kids.

We haven’t recruited a point guard since we joined the ACC. Ennis committed before we played our first ACC game. This has been a total failure on this coaching staff. There is no denying this. Let’s hope Copeland starts to change this narrative.

We agree that recruiting is the problem. Why did recruiting become a problem when we joined the ACC? I don't believe in coincidences. We are out-of-place, a NE team in a southern conference.
Dude, all due respect, but you’re turning into a “Johnny-one-note”.
We get it…you loved the BE and would rather have not left.
But at what point do you get it that (a) We had to leave, & (b) It can’t be reversed? We’re an ACC team now, & guess what, that’s not why we’ve been having issues in the program.
If you really believe that the only reason we’re in this mess, is because we changed conferences, then I don’t know what to tell you.
It’s alot more complicated than that. But yet you cling to the fantasy of a BE Membership like it’s the holy grail. It’s not, ok? Let it go. SMDH

Last edited:
How would everyone feel about this potential lineup next year?

2022/23 Syracuse Basketball
•Mika Adams-Woods 6-3 Sr NY
Joseph Girard 6-1 Sr G NY
Chris Bunch 6-8 Fr F CA
Benny Williams 6-8 So F MD
Jesse Edwards 7-0 Sr C Holland
+Symir Torrence 6-3 Sr PG NY
Quadir Copeland 6-6 Fr PG PA
Justin Taylor 6-6 Fr G/F VA
+•Lance Ware 6-9 Jr PF NJ
Maliq Brown 6-9 Fr PF/C VA
+•Quincy Ballard 7-0 Jr C NY
Peter Carey 7-0 Fr C MA (redshirt)

An athletic floor leader at the top of the zone and athletic wings are critical for the zone to have success.
Not ready. Can’t cover the corner 3.

This isn’t even true. We had great classes when we first joined.
Didn't our current slide start mid-season of our first year in the ACC, after winning our first 25 games? That was a confusing slide that year, and its been confusing ever since. We think we have a competitive team, but we don't. Every year, it seems. I guess certain teams flourish in a conference, and we don't seem to be one of them, in this conference.

Didn't our current slide start mid-season of our first year in the ACC, after winning our first 25 games? That was a confusing slide that year, and its been confusing ever since. We think we have a competitive team, but we don't. Every year, it seems. I guess certain teams flourish in a conference, and we don't seem to be one of them, in this conference.
Yes, but recruiting wasn’t an issue, we continually got top 100 guys, top 50 guys, Just even a couple of years ago we were complaining about not getting 25, then 50, then 75. This years class doesn’t have one ESPN top 100 guy. People can say whatever they want about rankings, but the further we slide down those rankings the worse we get.

Yes, but recruiting wasn’t an issue, we continually got top 100 guys, top 50 guys, Just even a couple of years ago we were complaining about not getting 25, then 50, then 75. This years class doesn’t have one ESPN top 100 guy. People can say whatever they want about rankings, but the further we slide down those rankings the worse we get.
In a sport like figure-skating with judges, or a sport like we're talking about here with referees, its hard to tell if there is a double standard, unfair officiating. Agree about the rankings. And of course we're not happy, especially lately, on use of the players. Can't blame the referees on that. If we're not trying, we're not trying.

In a sport like figure-skating with judges, or a sport like we're talking about here with referees, its hard to tell if there is a double standard, unfair officiating. Agree about the rankings. And of course we're not happy, especially lately, on use of the players. Can't blame the referees on that. If we're not trying, we're not trying.
I think some close ties around NYC left with Hop which didn’t help. Nova took over Philly which was great for us, and we’ve lost some local guys that really hurt.

Whomever here is next needs to get the recruiting back on track.

It definitely is sad but I'm trying to enjoy it as much as I can. I'm hoping next year they can string something together that is solid so that he can ride off into the sunset following the season. From everything I've heard, he's retiring once Buddy and Jimmy are no longer playing. It'll be weird and bittersweet for Boeheim's time to be done as head coach, but he seems to finally be ready for it.

Last edited:
It definitely is sad but I'm trying to enjoy it as much as I can. I'm hoping next year they can string something together that is solid so that he can ride off into the sunset following the season. From everything I've heard, he's retiring once Buddy and Jimmy are no longer playing. It'll be weird and bittersweet for Boeheim's time to be done as head coach, but he seems to finally be ready for it.
Wait we have another year of this

Absolutely. Our recruiting has been mediocre for years. The only reason our recruiting class is top 25 or whatever it is for next year is because we have five players. Not one of them is a consensus top 100 recruit and we missed a lot of targets.

I am going to ask this question for about the 10th time to you. Maybe you won’t ignore it and you’ll actually answer.

Would you be complaining JB about any of this had unnamed pg, guerrier, and Braswell not left?

Was the BE the reason they left?

I think we all know the answer to that.

The coach does not try to get the best and keep his best talent anymore.

Maddening you blame conference affiliation for this.

Well we signed Mali, Lydon, and Frank Howard in 2015 And they were all top 100 guys. That was two years after we joined the ACC and one season after we went 18-13.

I wish more people would talk this way. JB was trying for a Hollywood ending and he’s getting the opposite. It is incredibly sad, considering everything he’s done for the program, the university, and the community. He deserved to go out on his terms. He did not deserve for it to end this way.

I agree but he made some very specific choices that have created this scenario. Going for the Hollywood ending wasn’t in the best interest of the program.

Dude, all due respect, but you’re turning into a “Johnny-one-note”.
We get it…you loved the BE and would rather have not left.
But at what point do you get it that (a) We had to leave, & (b) It can’t be reversed? We’re an ACC team now, & guess what, that’s not why we’ve been having issues in the program.
If you really believe that the only reason we’re in this mess, is because we changed conferences, then I don’t know what to tell you.
It’s alot more complicated than that. But yet you cling to the fantasy of a BE Membership like it’s the holy grail. It’s not, ok? Let it go. SMDH
This has been discussed at length. It’s frustrating when people ignore JB’s failures in roster management and his lack of hitting the road leaving the assistants to recruit against other teams HC’s. Someone wants to blame conference affiliation for this.

This has been discussed at length. It’s frustrating when people ignore JB’s failures in roster management and his lack of hitting the road leaving the assistants to recruit against other teams HC’s. Someone wants to blame conference affiliation for this.
Curious if this is true or just something that is said on this board?

This isn’t even true. We had great classes when we first joined.

It's one of the dumbest excuses I've read.

The current seniors were 9 when we were in the Big East. All they know us is as a mediocre ACC program that occasionally does well in March.

There's only one "southern" conference in the P5 and they don't have any trouble getting kids from the Northeast to go play in the south.

I wouldn't say the coach does not try to get and keep his best talent anymore, the problem is he can't.

In the past when he goes on the road to recruit himself to recruit he has a much closer relationship with the players. He also takes an active role in developing the players. This results in the players having a more direct give and take with him and may have saved many close calls on early departures (scoop, CJ, Pace, Dion, Warrick all mentioned their exchanges with JB and how close they were to transferring). Today he does not have a close relationship with his players. The relationships are between the players and the assistant coaches. Red Griffen and GMac are the ones recruiting and developing them day to day, JB is like the CEO making decisions the assistants may or may not like and have to explain to the players. This is a problem because he can't relate to the players anymore and vice versa.

The only players he can relate to are Jimmy, Buddy and Joe. It may not be nepotism as many say, it may be those are the ones he feel closest to just happens to be "family".

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the coach does not try to get and keep his best talent anymore, the problem is he can't.

In the past when he goes on the road to recruit himself to recruit he has a much closer relationship with the players. He also takes an active role in developing the players. This results in the players having a more direct give and take with him and may have saved many close calls on early departures (scoop, CJ, Pace, Dion, Warrick all mentioned their exchanges with JB and how close they were to transferring). Today he does not have a close relationship with his players. The relationships are between the players and the assistant coaches. Red Griffen and GMac are the ones recruiting and developing them day to day, JB is like the CEO making decisions the assistants may or may not like and have to explain to the players. This is a problem because he can't relate to the players anymore and vice versa.

The only players he can relate to is Jimmy, Buddy and Joe. It may not be nepotism as many say, it may be those are the ones he feel closest to just happens to be "family".
He’s not putting in the effort he used to.

I am going to ask this question for about the 10th time to you. Maybe you won’t ignore it and you’ll actually answer.

Would you be complaining JB about any of this had unnamed pg, guerrier, and Braswell not left?

Was the BE the reason they left?

I think we all know the answer to that.

Maddening you blame conference affiliation for this.
Why can it only be one reason?

He’s not putting in the effort he used to.

Do you remember all the posts this past spring and summer saying how great it was to see JB out on the road so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom