Class of 2015 - It's tough to take | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 It's tough to take

dasher

Living Legend
Every year at closing time we are after 3 or 4 guys we think can make a difference. And we never get any of them. Clark is a little different because we thought we had him. But the rest, we never seem to get. I love following recruiting but unless they come up with an early signing period, I don't think I will follow it as closely anymore.

Every year at closing time we are after 3 or 4 guys we think can make a difference. And we never get any of them. Clark is a little different because we thought we had him. But the rest, we never seem to get. I love following recruiting but unless they come up with an early signing period, I don't think I will follow it as closely anymore.
An early signing period would be HUUUUUUUUGE. I'm thinking about prospects for next year at this point, and wanting to wrap them up as early as possible...not just committed, but SIGNED.

I think some kids may benefit from it but others need more time. Some of the worst decisions in life are the ones that are rushed into. Having said that if its optional having more choices is never a bad thing.

I dont want to speak for the man but in steve's case, he was a bit under the radar and if there was an early signing period, he wouldnt have been afforded the opportunity to look at other places.

Exactly.

While the system currently in place drives fans nuts, especially at this time, the system does provide the under the radar kids a chance to improve their lot. In my son's particular case, it allowed him the opportunity to play for one of his dream schools. Also, were an early signing period in place, I seriously doubt there would be "rags to riches" stories such as Jay Bromley, Chandler Jones, Nassib, etc.

Wouldnt the prospect have the option to sign early or wait it out? I will also hope they would come up with something that allows a prospect out of their get out of their commitment if the head coach was to leave or get fired.
Sure they could wait it out, but if they do what if their coach starts questioning their commitment and pulls their offer? Then the kid ends up with nothing.

It's a dangerous game both ways. Ultimately I think an early signing period benefits the schools more than the kids.

Exactly.

While the system currently in place drives fans nuts, especially at this time, the system does provide the under the radar kids a chance to improve their lot. In my son's particular case, it allowed him the opportunity to play for one of his dream schools. Also, were an early signing period in place, I seriously doubt there would be "rags to riches" stories such as Jay Bromley, Chandler Jones, Nassib, etc.

Chan and nassib were both decent recruits if i remember correctly but point made.

If we would of had an Early sighting period this year Clark would of been already sighted by South Alabama

JarHeadJim said:
If we would of had an Early sighting period this year Clark would of been already sighted by South Alabama
Whats all this talk on sighting? You trying to sight in your rifle?

Have you been under a rock? Clark Pick Blair 3 stud RB's 2 top Lb's best Oline haul in years and one of the top 5 place kickers in HS football. Agree on the early signing period but wow this class is fantastic

Have you been under a rock? Clark Pick Blair 3 stud RB's 2 top Lb's best Oline haul in years and one of the top 5 place kickers in HS football. Agree on the early signing period but wow this class is fantastic
This was a dated post. Clark was wavering and jake looked like a long shot.

Sure they could wait it out, but if they do what if their coach starts questioning their commitment and pulls their offer? Then the kid ends up with nothing.

It's a dangerous game both ways. Ultimately I think an early signing period benefits the schools more than the kids.

This is my thinking as well. It does nothing for the kids to sign early. The schools would love it, especially ones who get poached all the time and they could save money on recruiting budgets.
But, I think that's just part of the recruiting game. If you wanna keep your kids, hire better recruiters/coaches, and invest in your program. I see literally zero benefit to the players.
Honestly I think it would be a mess. It would be just another thing for the NCAA to regulate, and their ineptitude to due so in an unbiased and respectable manner has been proven time and time again.
They have zero accountability, which gives them zero credability.

This is my thinking as well. It does nothing for the kids to sign early. The schools would love it, especially ones who get poached all the time and they could save money on recruiting budgets.
But, I think that's just part of the recruiting game. If you wanna keep your kids, hire better recruiters/coaches, and invest in your program. I see literally zero benefit to the players.
Honestly I think it would be a mess. It would be just another thing for the NCAA to regulate, and their ineptitude to due so in an unbiased and respectable manner has been proven time and time again.
works in basketball

works in basketball

Apples to Oranges though. Way less players involved, and it's way easier to scout/project a basketball player. Most basketball players are committing during their Soph and Junior years nowadays.
It's just a completely different animal.
Here is one way I look at it that helps prove a point. How many 2 star/unranked basketball players turn out to be great pros, or get into the pros at all?
They're not even comparable.
Just because They're both sports, and both recruit players does not mean they're the same in this regard.

Apples to Oranges though. Way less players involved, and it's way easier to scout/project a basketball player. Most basketball players are committing during their Soph and Junior years nowadays.
It's just a completely different animal.
Here is one way I look at it that helps prove a point. How many 2 star/unranked basketball players turn out to be great pros, or get into the pros at all?
They're not even comparable.
Just because They're both sports, and both recruit players does not mean they're the same in this regard.
I don't think how many 2 stars become nfl players has anything at all to do with having an early singing period. The early singing period would probably be in early november or so. It would give schools a chance to know what they have and recruit accordingly. Right now, it's just unethical mash.

I dont want to speak for the man but in steve's case, he was a bit under the radar and if there was an early signing period, he wouldnt have been afforded the opportunity to look at other places.
Sure he could. Don't sign early. Basketball players sign before their senior season, why not football players?

Whats all this talk on sighting? You trying to sight in your rifle?
ACuse - I think it's a little of this -
upload_2015-1-31_20-47-26.jpeg

Sure he could. Don't sign early. Basketball players sign before their senior season, why not football players?

Seeing as the mans dad said i was right, id say your wrong. But your response is simple minded. Likely cuse wouldve filled up its spots as well with early signing. We wouldnt have dropped the players we did and created room. Recruiting is a dirty game.

I wouldn't say no benefit to the kids. If a kid is 100% (like Shy) it takes them off the market so they can't get harassed like Zaire Franklin did a couples ears ago. Also if a kid is signed, a school has already agreed to give them a scholarship. If they blow out of their knee in their next game, the offer isn't getting pulled/rescinded/taken away from them. School is still paid for. That would be a big benefit for the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom