It's tough watching these bowl games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It's tough watching these bowl games

If you're an SU fan in your 20's you really only remember the whooping by GT, the two Pinstripe Bowl wins, and maybe the Insight.com bowl if you're lucky.

I yearn for the days of postseason SU football. It means something to the programs that rarely if ever have a shot at the CFP/big bowls.

Woah, woah, woah. Hold the phone. Someone is missing the epic victory of our brave Orange, featuring the heroic Brisly Estime, and the resplendent Terrell Hunt, against that juggernaut from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, in the AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl. Nearly 32,400 strong witnessed the spectacle in Houston.

Woah, woah, woah. Hold the phone. Someone is missing the epic victory of our brave Orange, featuring the heroic Brisly Estime, and the resplendent Terrell Hunt, against that juggernaut from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, in the AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl. Nearly 32,400 strong witnessed the spectacle in Houston.

FKA...the Astro Bluebonnet Bowl. ;):)

People keep equating "meaningless" with "too many bowls"... not the same thing.

Also, only in CFB do we get a real drama counts for something, on the field way to determine our best team ... only to have people upset that it makes the meaningless exhibition games less meaningful.

I too yearn for the days when this was all we had. I miss the days of old beat writers deciding things, while we watched arbitrarily placed teams face off.

Actually I would prefer that playing in a bowl game be considered meaningful - it affords the kids a vacation of sorts - gifts - exposure - the chance to compete for perhaps one final time and the chance to end the season on a really positive note.

I for one feel that bowl participation is very meaningful and is a very positive experience for players and coaches.

I would prefer that we not denigrate bowl games or bowl participation and that we avoid the media-based trap of making the four team play-off the only college football post season event that should be considered meaningful. The television industry wants to transform the college championship into another Super Bowl and I for one don't feel that that is necessary or desirable.

That's fine. I assume you're advocating cutting the number of bowls back down to 8-ish?

Making a bowl is not meaningful because 80+ teams achieve it. If you define meaningful as an unique achievement.

Wish I could give it a thousand likes. It's a great reward for these kids, and there's no reason it should be saved for the kids on just the best twenty or so teams. I have no earthly idea why people insist they should go away, if you don't want to watch, don't watch.

Most people don't get their nose out of shape on something just existing in other areas. I don't see people saying recording artist playing to less than 20k a night should just stop doing concerts. Women's sports should just go away because not enough people watch them. It's really bizarre the H0T Takes people have about too many bowls. They're free, if you want them. You don't have to take them.

I never said they should go away. I suggested that we need to recalibrate our measure of achievement. Once upon a time making a bowl game was a meaningful measure of performance. It is not anymore. Not when 3/4s of FBS teams make a bowl.

Sorry. In 16 seasons (2001-present) We've seen the team play in five bowls. Going 4-1. 11 years with no postseason bowl.

Sorry. In 16 seasons (2001-present) We've seen the team play in five bowls. Going 4-1. 11 years with no postseason bowl.

Even worse, in the EIGHTEEN seasons since Donovan McNabb left school we've played in SIX bowl games. And not in a single one that could be considered mildly prestigious.

We've been not good for so damn long. Basically most anyone under the age of 30 has no recollection of SU being a strong program. It's awful.

Even worse, in the EIGHTEEN seasons since Donovan McNabb left school we've played in SIX bowl games. And not in a single one that could be considered mildly prestigious.

We've been not good for so damn long. Basically most anyone under the age of 30 has no recollection of SU being a strong program. It's awful.

My fandom comes from being raised in CNY, not as an alum of the school (I'm both). I do believe in Babers and plan on watching SU bowling soon

The one problem with College Football is they bastardized New Years Day which has hurt them with the postseason stuff and all of the bowls. College Football used to own New Years Day and from 11am to midnight it was around the clock non-stop football all day on many networks. Since the sport has sold itself to the devil (ESPN) they have let ESPN trickle these games out one by one by one over the course of a week when that has killed the postseason in some ways for College Football. Every major sport has "a day" at the end of the year. College Football should (I know they won't) go back to having the majority of Bowl Games on the same day...NEW YEARS DAY!! There is no reason they can't air games all day on ESPN/ABC/ESPN2. There should be 2 or 3 games all day all the time on Jan 1st, yes at the same time! Play the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Cotton all on one day (years they aren't in the playoff)...Outback, Capital One, Gator Bowl(Taxslayer)...all of them. Start at 11am and just have 2 or 3 going at once all day. Move a couple other bowl games to New Years Day if you can like the Music City or Liberty Bowl. It's the BEST PR the sport gets your only competition on that day is some meaningless hockey game played outside, and will be the most watched day of the year for College Football.

The one problem with College Football is they bastardized New Years Day which has hurt them with the postseason stuff and all of the bowls. College Football used to own New Years Day and from 11am to midnight it was around the clock non-stop football all day on many networks. Since the sport has sold itself to the devil (ESPN) they have let ESPN trickle these games out one by one by one over the course of a week when that has killed the postseason in some ways for College Football. Every major sport has "a day" at the end of the year. College Football should (I know they won't) go back to having the majority of Bowl Games on the same day...NEW YEARS DAY!! There is no reason they can't air games all day on ESPN/ABC/ESPN2. There should be 2 or 3 games all day all the time on Jan 1st, yes at the same time! Play the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Cotton all on one day (years they aren't in the playoff)...Outback, Capital One, Gator Bowl(Taxslayer)...all of them. Start at 11am and just have 2 or 3 going at once all day. It's the BEST PR the sport gets your only competition on that day is some meaningless hockey game played outside, and will be the most watched day of the year for College Football.
the Rose Bowl screwed everything up.

hell, their arrogance has screwed it up for about 20 years.

the Rose Bowl screwed everything up.

hell, their arrogance has screwed it up for about 20 years.

It has, cause they won't budge off their 5pm start and they feel they can tell everyone else to F' off. But let them start their game at 5pm. ESPN should tell them look we are paying BILLIONS for college football, you got your 5pm slot locked in, don't get pissy if we want to play another bowl game on ESPN2 at the same time or start it an hour early or later.

It has, cause they won't budge off their 5pm start and they feel they can tell everyone else to F' off. But let them start their game at 5pm. ESPN should tell them look we are paying BILLIONS for college football, you got your 5pm slot locked in, don't get pissy if we want to play another bowl game on ESPN2 at the same time or start it an hour early or later.
they should.

but its also the Playoffs own stupidity.

they got the Peach starting at 3 on Saturday.

put it on sunday and let it overlap and then tell the Sugar they are going to 12/31 and put the Orange on at 830.

or what difference would just starting the Peach an hour earlier at 2 make??

The bowl season is great. 3-4 games/day, all games televised, its winter in the northeast and these games keep me warm;) yes, the rose bowl has been sacredly protected and played on a different day from the 2 playoff games, always new years day, but bumped to jan 2 bc of the Sunday NFL this year. Question is, will they move the playoff games away from new years eve!? It kills ratings. 12/30 or 1/2 are the other options. Gonna miss our game when its gone in a week or so. Happy new year Cuse nation.

The bowl season is great. 3-4 games/day, all games televised, its winter in the northeast and these games keep me warm;) yes, the rose bowl has been sacredly protected and played on a different day from the 2 playoff games, always new years day, but bumped to jan 2 bc of the Sunday NFL this year. Question is, will they move the playoff games away from new years eve!? It kills ratings. 12/30 or 1/2 are the other options. Gonna miss our game when its gone in a week or so. Happy new year Cuse nation.

They are moving them off New Years Eve going forward. Last year the ratings were really hurt and this year will be worse. The next time the semi final games fall on New Years Eve they have made a switch and moved it off that day.

ESPN lost a ton of money last year by having it on New Years Eve and they didn't have enough time to change it this year. But this is the last year of them being on New Years Eve. The dates were changed for 2018, 2019, 2024, and 2025.

I think CFB still gets their "day" ... it's the national championship game.

The one problem with College Football is they bastardized New Years Day which has hurt them with the postseason stuff and all of the bowls. College Football used to own New Years Day and from 11am to midnight it was around the clock non-stop football all day on many networks. Since the sport has sold itself to the devil (ESPN) they have let ESPN trickle these games out one by one by one over the course of a week when that has killed the postseason in some ways for College Football. Every major sport has "a day" at the end of the year. College Football should (I know they won't) go back to having the majority of Bowl Games on the same day...NEW YEARS DAY!! There is no reason they can't air games all day on ESPN/ABC/ESPN2. There should be 2 or 3 games all day all the time on Jan 1st, yes at the same time! Play the Orange, Fiesta, Sugar, Rose, Cotton all on one day (years they aren't in the playoff)...Outback, Capital One, Gator Bowl(Taxslayer)...all of them. Start at 11am and just have 2 or 3 going at once all day. Move a couple other bowl games to New Years Day if you can like the Music City or Liberty Bowl. It's the BEST PR the sport gets your only competition on that day is some meaningless hockey game played outside, and will be the most watched day of the year for College Football.

I can still remember the NYD schedule they used in early 90's. 1PM Citrus ABC, Cotton CBS, and Gator NBC. 5 PM Rose ABC and Fiesta NBC. 8PM Sugar ABC and Orange NBC.

I can still remember the NYD schedule they used in early 90's. 1PM Citrus ABC, Cotton CBS, and Gator NBC. 5 PM Rose ABC and Fiesta NBC. 8PM Sugar ABC and Orange NBC.

I miss those days.

With the Hall of Fame/Outback bowl on ESPN at 11am

That's fine. I assume you're advocating cutting the number of bowls back down to 8-ish?

Making a bowl is not meaningful because 80+ teams achieve it. If you define meaningful as an unique achievement.

No.

I'm not suggesting that the number of bowls be reduced. Not at all.

Two nights ago, I saw a team "Gatorade" its coach after winning a bowl game - not a high profile bowl game of course.

The win meant a great deal to the players, coaches and fans.

I like that. I'll never forget when Marrone finally let down his guard and was embraced by his players when the Orange defeated K-State in the Pinstripe Bowl - it was great. I wish it had been Dino the other night who received the Gatorade bath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom