Jalen Should Stay | Syracusefan.com

Jalen Should Stay

walsh2012

Starter
I know many are operating under the assumption Jalen will leave, but I would be stoked to see him around next year. We havent really seen him fully healty, and he’s been in the program for two years now. Would have to start off the bench, but if he committed to that God Bless him

I know many are operating under the assumption Jalen will leave, but I would be stoked to see him around next year. We havent really seen him fully healty, and he’s been in the program for two years now. Would have to start off the bench, but if he committed to that God Bless him
Total hypothetical if you’re willing to play along: if you could only keep one, would you choose Carey or Goodine?

For me, it’s Goodine. I think his upside is higher.

Cary is not going to play ahead of Buddy or JGIII.

He might not play ahead of JG3, but they could certainly split minutes. Girard’s defense will improve but even improved D from him would be less than stellar. He has played well offensively, too (better than Carey in limited PT), but he hasn’t played “35 mpg guaranteed” good. At least, not when there are other options.

Carey has not demonstrated ability to shoot 2 or 3 pointers, make free throws or drive the lane without charging. Passing and quickness look above average but I did not see him recognizing defenses or proper spacing during early season games.
After 1 and 1/2 seasons, may be better suited for mid major.

Nah dog he should bet on Jalen and those HS rankings and go elsewhere. Wont work out here even if the best of times were the best of times and all that.

Carey has not demonstrated ability to shoot 2 or 3 pointers, make free throws or drive the lane without charging. Passing and quickness look above average but I did not see him recognizing defenses or proper spacing during early season games.
After 1 and 1/2 seasons, may be better suited for mid major.

He’s shown the ability to score inside the arc efficiently. Might not look pretty, I guess, but the stats show that he’s capable. His 3 point shooting is obviously poor, albeit on a minuscule sample size, which can be fine for a role player who’s put in the game to attack the rim. Turnovers are an issue, again though, on a tiny sample size.

He’s not a floor general, but I don’t think the argument is that he’s a floor general or that he’ll be a starter. He could play a useful role on the team in the 8-12 mpg range. His defense is substantially better than Girard and Buddy’s.

I could see him leaving for a bigger role or better fit somewhere else. That said, he was stuck in a tough spot last year and obviously had the injury setback this year, so it’s probably too early to declare that he can’t cut it at this level.

I don't see him playing other than mop up minutes going forward. If he was healthy, he would arguably be the 5th guard on this year's team. And with Kadary coming in next year, his chance for minutes goes down even more, unless we have some other attrition or injuries.

There is a 1% chance he stays... he’s having so much fun on the bench BC he can’t get ridiculed on the bench... and also, it may not be jalens choice to stay just FYI

Carey struggled as a True Fr to say the least. However, I still see much more upside to him. JG3s defense hurt the team quite a bit, and maybe JC could bring alot more to the D.

i imagine he already knows where he's headed. i'm hoping it's another conference. and we don't play them.

From what I've seen Goodine has the higher ceiling. Not sure why we would want Carey over him.

I still feel like we haven't really seen him play without having to worry about getting pulled. I know our guard rotation would be hard for him to crack, but I still feel like it could work out. Also it still seems to me that he is all in on Syracuse. I hope we don't push him out, and if he leaves I hope it's on his own choice. Cheering for you Jalen.

He's gone, he won't be able to develop his skills at Syracuse now w/ JG3 and Goodine ahead of him. Jalen while extremely athletic, is reckless, JG3 can be reckless but can shoot the ball.

If every player left just to get more playing time, they might as well put a revolving door on the locker room. At all schools! There are more factors involved than just playing time. Family, social, athletic and educational factors all weigh in. A young man who is enjoying life in all these factors ain't going to bolt.

From what I've seen Goodine has the higher ceiling. Not sure why we would want Carey over him.

We can have both. Kadary is not a sure thing and Jalen (and Goodine, for that matter) can play SG. It's not like it's a straight logjam at PG; there's flexibility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom