Class of 2014 - Ja'Quan Newton | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Ja'Quan Newton

Whitehead handles the ball a lot. Wants to go somewhere to showcase those skills right away. Won't happen if Ennis and Joseph are in the rotation. Newton is more of a combo that can play off the ball. Whitehead's game blends in with Newton's more than Joseph. If we get Joseph then JB and Red would have to pull off a hell of a sales job to get Whitehead.

Who is your preference? Best fits for us and not necessarily for them re: playing time, showcasing skills, etc? Is Joseph the best all around PG of the three?

Whitehead handles the ball a lot. Wants to go somewhere to showcase those skills right away. Won't happen if Ennis and Joseph are in the rotation. Newton is more of a combo that can play off the ball. Whitehead's game blends in with Newton's more than Joseph. If we get Joseph then JB and Red would have to pull off a hell of a sales job to get Whitehead.

Could Whitehead be sold on a Waiters role?

I think that's how they'd have to pitch it.

IMO, a lot depends on Whitehead's goals. If he wants to be a one-and-done, then it might make sense for him to go somewhere where he can be the focal point, have the rock in his hands, and showcase his scoring. If he is thinking more like a two year college experience, then he might be open to it.

Who is your preference? Best fits for us and not necessarily for them re: playing time, showcasing skills, etc? Is Joseph the best all around PG of the three?
Joseph fits the biggest need, being able to run point and balancing things out with Ennis and giving us quality depth there. Whitehead is the most talented out of the bunch and would have a Waiters like impact with his offensive skills to take over a game. I like Newton's game but think he would be more of a luxury to add on than need if we get either Joseph or Whitehead.

RF hit it on the $ about Whitehead. I think Whitehead will be great in the Waiters role being the guy who sparks things and gets our offense going. It's all about selling him on that and how he fits into the rotation with Ennis, Joseph, and lets not forget about Mike G and the other guards on the roster.

Joseph fits the biggest need, being able to run point and balancing things out with Ennis and giving us quality depth there. Whitehead is the most talented out of the bunch and would have a Waiters like impact with his offensive skills to take over a game.

RF hit it on the $ about Whitehead. I think Whitehead will be great in the Waiters role being the guy who sparks things and gets our offense going. It's all about selling him on that and how he fits into the rotation with Ennis, Joseph, and lets not forget about Mike G and the other guards on the roster.

Thanks bud. Appreciate the personal take!

It's amazing how much winning recently makes my kids stand up and take notice. Wonder what Florida Gulf Coast recruiting is looking like these days?

Its funny you should mention FGCU. Since Dooley has taken over he has brought 6 players into the program. 2 of which are walk-ons.

The others are three transfers (Julian DeBose, Marc-Eddy Norelia, and Brian Greene) from Rice, Tulane, and Auburn respectively. All three will be redshirting this year, but with FGCU only losing one guy after this year the Eagles could be a serious threat in the tourny for at least the next two years.

The final player is Christian Terrell who is a bouncy guard who plays along side Grayson Allen up in Jacksonville. He is best known for a monster dunk he threw down in an AAU game earlier this summer.
Keep in mind he is listed at 6'3".
We don't really have any scholorships open until 2015 so I believe that is when FGCU really starts to make a name for themselves in recruiting.
Anyway sorry for going OT and rambling but anytime I see my school mentioned I have to give my two cents.

So when is Whitehead announcing for Miami? That Larranaga is a sly one (and a damned good coach).

How about those package deals and Jerry's crystal ball huh. All of that package deal stuff that kids say sounds cool for the moment, but examples like this show that each player will ultimately decide what's best for them. Still kind of funny that Meyer went all ape with his thoughts n predictions based off a tweet by teenagers. Stick to BBN reporting bud.

Evan Daniels thinks another Top 100 guy will announce today too.

I think this is good news for us. I agree with Taco Time, hard to see Whitehead going west or mid-west without his eastcoast buddy. I feel like we have a better chance now of landing both Joseph and Whitehead.
And it's nice to see Newton give props to Miami for being with him since day 1. Hits close to home with Cuse and IW right?

How about those package deals and Jerry's crystal ball huh. All of that package deal stuff that kids say sounds cool for the moment, but examples like this show that each player will ultimately decide what's best for them. Still kind of funny that Meyer went all ape with his thoughts n predictions based off a tweet by teenagers. Stick to BBN reporting bud.
Crystal ball, so silly. Every time a recruit mentions someone else, he flip flops. Not a prediction when you bandwagon every time.

And it's nice to see Newton give props to Miami for being with him since day 1. Hits close to home with Cuse and IW right?
Yeah, I liked this guy from the start. Straight shooter, Philly guy and little drama. Too bad we didn't land him, but rooting for him either way.

So when is Whitehead announcing for Miami? That Larranaga is a sly one (and a damned good coach).
Newton is the 3rd guard that Miami has received a commitment from for the 2014 class. Doubt they're much of an option for Whitehead now.

Newton is the 3rd guard that Miami has received a commitment from for the 2014 class. Doubt they're much of an option for Whitehead now.

I know, just my attempt at sarcasm. Any idea when Whitehead will visit? He came up for the camp last year so I'd rather he and his mom came solo to visit so the staff could give them undivided attention. It seems he's really looking to know he is wanted.

Crystal ball, so silly. Every time a recruit mentions someone else, he flip flops. Not a prediction when you bandwagon every time.
I also peep how he'll make a pick and if other people starting picking another school then he'll jump on the bandwagon and change his pick as well asap lol. We see you Jerry.
Prude-Woman.jpg

Yeah, I was going to update my post saying that it was between 'Cuse and Miami, from what I heard on the Nova board but I chose not to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom