Class of 2014 - Ja'Quan Newton | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Ja'Quan Newton

This is based purely off gut...don't have any inside info. Think we land Joseph...don't get Newton or Whitehead. Newton got a UCLA offer last week and kept them around. Starting to get a feeling Newton and Whitehead both go to UCLA.

Also have a doomsday feeling where all three select different schools - but then remember McCullough is already on board so a true doomsday scenario isn't applicable. If all three of these guys go elsewhere, the staff has to take a flier on a PG for depth, right?

I think we will only take one of that trio. Backcourt is crowded--probably no room in class of 2014 for two guards.

First come, first served.

We will have a much, much better sense of where we truly stand with this trio after visits. A trip into the Melo Center is enough to make any package fall apart.

Eenie meanie miney moe,
Whitehead, Newton or K-Joe
It doesn't matter which baller comes
Tee will give 'em 50 thumbs!
The one who's Orange in '14 fall
by seasons end will have won it all!
So come on boyz you'd best not wait
The Cuse teams brewin'- be real great!
We've seen you play, you're all great "gets"
which one of you will cut down nets?
Kentucky 'n others are in your face
the best they'll be is second place!
So why you waitin' till the fall
It's time you holla JB and call!

kermit-flail.gif

No nova? Shocked...guess booth chased em away
Surprise at that as well. I know Nova was feeling good about their chances of landing both Booth and Newton over the past few months. Outside of SU, I think UCLA, Miami, and Minnesota are the main ones to lookout for.

I think we will only take one of that trio. Backcourt is crowded--probably no room in class of 2014 for two guards.

First come, first served.
Starting to think this as well. I think Newton and IW would be open to coming to SU and staying on the east coast, but with Ennis being around for a few years most likely that could cause some issues. I think the key thing to lookout for is who visits 1st? That will tell a lot about who is trying to beat others to the punch.

Starting to think this as well. I think Newton and IW would be open to coming to SU and staying on the east coast, but with Ennis being around for a few years most likely that could cause some issues. I think the key thing to lookout for is who visits 1st? That will tell a lot about who is trying to beat others to the punch.

JB and the staff has spent so much time and effort on both IW and KJ that it's hard to believe that it would be one or the other. I think we would take IW and one of KJ or Newton. With KJ as plan A and JN as plan B but it could be whoever commits first.

JB and the staff has spent so much time and effort on both IW and KJ that it's hard to believe that it would be one or the other. I think we would take IW and one of KJ or Newton. With KJ as plan A and JN as plan B but it could be whoever commits first.
IW is not coming if Joseph commits first. If we get IW then it's with Newton.

I would have to think Cuse is the frontrunner. I always thought it would be Nova or Cuse, and after Nova picked up Booth, it makes sense.

Like his old man mid-range game, and also like his body control including ability to shoot on the way down. Shooting after the apex of your jump means that you will seldom get blocked as you get to see exactly where everyone is committed. Indispensable move for every point guard. It shows that he does not panic when driving to the hoop. He takes the time to see what is going on and adjusts his shot accordingly.

IW is not coming if Joseph commits first. If we get IW then it's with Newton.

Francis,

This comment of yours really intrigues me. Why is it that Whitehead is ok with the cuse with Newton at PG, but not Joseph? Is it purely down to a friendship thing?

I know cuse offered Newton, but the staff has put way more effort into getting Joseph than they have in getting Newton. So much so, that I always got the impression that Newton was mostly throwing out an interest in Syracuse to get other big names involved (ie. the recent involvement from UCLA)

The staff has also invested a lot of time on Whitehead, so it seems kind of odd to invest so much time with two players that won't be willing to play together. (ie. Joseph & Whitehead) (I am only basing that on your comment above, that Whitehead won't come if Joseph does.)

Inquiring minds want to know!

Francis,

This comment of yours really intrigues me. Why is it that Whitehead is ok with the cuse with Newton at PG, but not Joseph? Is it purely down to a friendship thing?

I know cuse offered Newton, but the staff has put way more effort into getting Joseph than they have in getting Newton. So much so, that I always got the impression that Newton was mostly throwing out an interest in Syracuse to get other big names involved (ie. the recent involvement from UCLA)

The staff has also invested a lot of time on Whitehead, so it seems kind of odd to invest so much time with two players that won't be willing to play together. (ie. Joseph & Whitehead) (I am only basing that on your comment above, that Whitehead won't come if Joseph does.)

I don't think that's the case at all. Newton is a great prospect. My belief is that the staff would prefer to land Joseph, but if they don't that Newton would make a heckuva consolation prize. They are actively recruiting all three of these players, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I don't think that's the case at all. Newton is a great prospect. My belief is that the staff would prefer to land Joseph, but if they don't that Newton would make a heckuva consolation prize. They are actively recruiting all three of these players, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
This is also my thoughts on the matter. Kaleb is a clear #1 choice. Newton would be second choice but still a great one.

Oh, I never meant to come across as slighting Newton, at all. I think he is a great prospect. I believe most places rate him higher than Joseph. But, the staff clearly was on Joseph more consistently, earlier than they were on Newton. Newton's interest seemed lukewarm until just recently.

Personally, as a huge Syracuse fan, I will be disappointed at losing any one of the three, and will be thrilled at getting any one of the three. They are all highly skilled, and should be great additions to the team.

I am just intrigued with the reasoning behind Francis' post that I quoted above, considering where the staffs efforts were most concerted (Joseph & Whitehead, rather than Newton & Whitehead)

I don't know, maybe Booth's commit to 'Nova set the ball moving that may result in Syracuse getting Newton & Whitehead.

His ability to penetrate will be huge for our bigs, most of which lack a great post move. If his jumper ever becomes serious, watch out.

Francis,

Whitehead handles the ball a lot. Wants to go somewhere to showcase those skills right away. Won't happen if Ennis and Joseph are in the rotation. Newton is more of a combo that can play off the ball. Whitehead's game blends in with Newton's more than Joseph. If we get Joseph then JB and Red would have to pull off a hell of a sales job to get Whitehead.

Whitehead handles the ball a lot. Wants to go somewhere to showcase those skills right away. Won't happen if Ennis and Joseph are in the rotation. Newton is more of a combo that can play off the ball. Whitehead's game blends in with Newton's more than Joseph. If we get Joseph then JB and Red would have to pull off a hell of a sales job to get Whitehead.

That makes a ton of sense. Personally, I really like all three of these prospects--would be happy with any of them. Landing any one of the three would really help solidify the backcourt behind Ennis [the main deficiency I see on our roster "balance" with upcoming teams].

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom