Class of 2014 - Ja'Quan Newton | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Ja'Quan Newton

R i v a l s Eric Bossi thinks Newton was best PG at LBJ Academy:

"Our vote for the top-performing class of 2014 point guard at LeBron was Philadelphia's Ja'Quan Newton. The 6-foot-3 floor general isn't a speed burner, but he's extra crafty and adept at creating for himself off the dribble. He specializes in getting defenders on his hip and dragging them all over the floor and doing what he wants with them. Newton draws a lot of fouls, he is an outstanding finisher, and when his jumper is dropping like it was throughout the course of camp he's hard to stop."

An A recruit is preferable over a B recruit but a B recruit with an A average can C his way to the A team and B a valuable 4 year player who may C A lot of playing time B 4 his freshman year is over. Sometimes JB will C a B guy who is A D league type and offer him A ship. We have A player coming in who is reportedly A, BC T boy and in fact has A nickname of "B"east, not to be confused with "Big East" which is A B league which has C'n better days. It's all D lightful F you can sit back and C it for what it B. If not, F it.

I asked you to comment, because you are the best at following SU BB recruiting. I just assumed that you, more than others, understood that we don't get all our 1# choices (option As). The reason I think we didn't get some of our first choices in several cases is because of statements like these:

Vonleh was first discovered by JB and the SU staff over an year ago. He has recently stated that SU are the ones recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Vonleh has seen his stock rise in a big way over the summer and now has offers and interest from UNC, UCLA, Kansas, and Arizona among others. It's still very early in the game, but so far the SU staff has let Vonleh know that he's a must get for the future.

Posted by Dean Francis at 3:59 PM Friday, September 30, 2011

That is an option A to me: and we didn't get him.

Francis, I know you can't remember everything. You are still the best for recruiting info. I'm glad you do this, and I'll still lean on you for information. But please tell the troops that we don't always get the guy we want.

Don't do it for me, do it as a community service annoucement. Thanks much.

fsZWJdx.gif

You took a quote from nearly two years ago. Francis's quote was posted a year before he even reclassified. That changes the entire ball game. He might have been our Option A for 2014, but he wasn't our Option A for 2013.

An A recruit is preferable over a B recruit but a B recruit with an A average can C his way to the A team and B a valuable 4 year player who may C A lot of playing time B 4 his freshman year is over. Sometimes JB will C a B guy who is A D league type and offer him A ship. We have A player coming in who is reportedly A, BC T boy and in fact has A nickname of "B"east, not to be confused with "Big East" which is A B league which has C'n better days. It's all D lightful F you can sit back and C it for what it B. If not, F it.
HAHHAHHAHAH

this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time

No school in the country gets all of their option A's as you call it and I never implied that we do. You gave me a list of names and I broke down their recruitments to you to the best of my knowledge. In 2013 we only lost out on one player that we had a realistic chance at and that was Rysheed Jordan as I mentioned. Obviously you view Option A as one main player at certain position and everybody else after that is B, C, etc correct? The way I view who the main targets are(forget about option A, B, C stuff). Is how hard the staff goes after a recruit for example keeping constant contact throughout, attending their games/workout, scheduling campus/home visits, and when the final college decision is being made that SU is a serious contender and not just a courtesy name drop. The players that you asked about Wiggins, Randle, Johnson, and Young were either players that we hardly recruited or was just longshots to land which I had explained before.

Since you want to research this Vonleh stuff let me repeat to you again what happened. Yes they were one of the first schools to get involve with him several years ago. Something happened behind the scenes and even Vonleh stated in interviews last spring that he wasn't getting calls from SU anymore. Seems like a strange way to treat our option A huh? Anyway as I noted before, in this recruiting game coaches in some cases especially when dealing with a high profile recruit, will have to deal with shady coaches, handlers, and paranoid parents/family members. Obviously something went down after the early advances in the Vonleh recruitment that made them back off and lose interest. When he reclassified he put out feelers to SU, UNC, and Ohio St that he was interested in visiting but with his brother at IU, everybody pretty much knew that they were going to be hard to beat. SU's pursuit of him this time around was modest at because they had already landed Roberson and BJ, who they obviously valued as main options even though you may not feel that way. Yes we have lost out on guys that we have really wanted like Noel, Tobias Harris, Ant Davis, and most likely Isaiah Briscoe. Point is you asked me about 2013 and listed a bunch of names that we were never really in the mix for, and when I detailed it with facts you then decided to respond in an unnecessary immature manner and interpret things the way that you see it. If you feel a certain way about whether we land option A or B recruits then that's fine because you're entitled to your own opinion, but that doesn't mean other members on the board and myself have to agree.

Regarding Jordan it seemed like we weren't going to wait around for his commit and we took Patterson instead. I'm not sure I'd call that "losing out" but I'm not as close to the situation.

The only guy I trout we got beat for was Wayne Seldon...and I don't think there's any shame in losing a guy to Kansas.

Regarding Jordan it seemed like we weren't going to wait around for his commit and we took Patterson instead. I'm not sure I'd call that "losing out" but I'm not as close to the situation.

The only guy I trout we got beat for was Wayne Seldon...and I don't think there's any shame in losing a guy to Kansas.
I look at it as "losing out" imho because the staff did make a big effort to get a commitment out of him during the midnight madness weekend. That didn't happen obviously but if you chose to look at that situation differently then as I always say you're entitled to your opinion.

We were never major players in the Wayne Selden recruitment. Kansas, Florida, and Ohio St were the main schools in the equation once he reclassified. He never visited and the staff didn't spend much time chasing him around during last summer. So when he committed to Kansas, I doubt the staff felt any sort of way about it because this wasn't a kid that they had put the full court press on.

I look at it as "losing out" imho because the staff did make a big effort to get a commitment out of him during the midnight madness weekend. That didn't happen obviously but if you chose to look at that situation differently then as I always say you're entitled to your opinion.

We were never major players in the Wayne Selden recruitment. Kansas, Florida, and Ohio St were the main schools in the equation once he reclassified. He never visited and the staff didn't spend much time chasing him around during last summer. So when he committed to Kansas, I doubt the staff felt any sort of way about it because this wasn't a kid that they had put the full court press on.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Just a general comment on the debate above: I don't doubt that Boeheim and Co. lose out on recruits they covet every year. It used to be a more frequent occurrence. The past decade or so, it's happened far less. Arguing for or against that point seems a bit weird to me. Like someone said above, this is a first world problem. I never got or get worked up about losing recruits because there are so many good players out there that it can be a bit of a crapshoot. We won with B and C guys and we win with A recruits. And sometimes, it probably would've been better if we had lost out on our top choice and gone with one of the back-up choices.

I asked you to comment, because you are the best at following SU BB recruiting. I just assumed that you, more than others, understood that we don't get all our 1# choices (option As). The reason I think we didn't get some of our first choices in several cases is because of statements like these:

Vonleh was first discovered by JB and the SU staff over an year ago. He has recently stated that SU are the ones recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Vonleh has seen his stock rise in a big way over the summer and now has offers and interest from UNC, UCLA, Kansas, and Arizona among others. It's still very early in the game, but so far the SU staff has let Vonleh know that he's a must get for the future.

Posted by Dean Francis at 3:59 PM Friday, September 30, 2011

That is an option A to me: and we didn't get him.

Francis, I know you can't remember everything. You are still the best for recruiting info. I'm glad you do this, and I'll still lean on you for information. But please tell the troops that we don't always get the guy we want.

Don't do it for me, do it as a community service annoucement. Thanks much.

I don't understand why you keep arguing that we don't always get our A option when plenty of people have said it's obvious we don't always get everyone we target. Also, I think you're confused in thinking that just because a guy is ranked higher than another target by ESPN doesn't necessarily mean that they're a higher priority. The staff may prefer a guy who's a top 40 player that will be a solid player in the program for 2-3 years, or a top 75 guy who will be there for 4 years some years over a guy who is a top 15 player that will be gone after a year. It's about fit and building a team, not just trying to acquire as much talent as possible.

When you dug back 2 years in the archives to find a Francis blog post calling Vonleh a must get how many more recent articles did you skip over that said the staff backed off quite a bit?

If being a passive-agressive, sarcastic troll was a good quality, I would have to give Oakland a handful of likes. But it's not. It just makes reading the thread really aggravating. The guy obviously doesn't want to learn anything. He's just here to stir the pot. Syr dot commer?

If being a passive-agressive, sarcastic troll was a good quality, I would have to give Oakland a handful of likes. But it's not. It just makes reading the thread really aggravating. The guy obviously doesn't want to learn anything. He's just here to stir the pot. Syr dot commer?
Ouch! Direct Hit/ alphaorange awarded one point for the reversal and 2 points for the take-down!

I love to argue as much as the next guy but I try to rein it in while a guest here. And by the way, kudos to Francis, Tee, OE, and all the other guys that give so much so selflessly, even as others occasionally snipe. Keep it coming guys. What you add makes these boards the greatest around...

I love to argue as much as the next guy but I try to rein it in while a guest here. And by the way, kudos to Francis, Tee, OE, and all the other guys that give so much so selflessly, even as others occasionally snipe. Keep it coming guys. What you add makes these boards the greatest around...
Preach!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom