Class of 2014 - Ja'Quan Newton | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Ja'Quan Newton

You know what's even better than a Snickers? One of those ice cream Snickers.

That's heaven in a freezer, let me tell you.

I often find myself in a pickle when seeing one of those next to a toll house choc chip cookie sandwich and a frozen butterfinger ice cream bar. All 3 creates a major stomach ache but honestly how can one choose between them?

I often find myself in a pickle when seeing one of those next to a toll house choc chip cookie sandwich and a frozen butterfinger ice cream bar. All 3 creates a major stomach ache but honestly how can one choose between them?

I used to get the brownie cookiewich with mint ice cream from Byrne Dairy.

Never regretted that decision. Always an excellent choice.

For the love of god.

Coleman was NOT a disappointment. He was injured for the majority of next year. He lost the weight that he needed to and shows incredible promise.

He had MINOR fundamental issue which is common with bigs in there first year of college basketball. These issues can be fixed...EASILY.

I'd rather have him come in this year and systematically retrieve the naysayers heads from there a$$e$ than have had a year like Noel last year and left for the draft.

Molding and Foundation year? Check.

Disappointment? No.

I saw Oakland's post labeling him as a disappointment earlier...last page? Immediately had to voice my opinion.

Thanks, brother.
First rule of Recruiting Side.
Beat it if you're having a bad hair day.
Either that or use conditioner.
Lol some should follow this.
image.jpg

I thought the concept was clear: option A is the guy you would take first for any position you have open.

What I do know is that when it comes to recruiting news/info Francis is Option A and you are like maybe, Option ZZZ, maybe. Actually, wherever Calicuse is your like 10 behind him. But keep working pal. #stopthehorsestuff

My Dec 5th post? What are you cyber-stalking me?

Your reference to "option Bs" and " notch below the elite" seems to be dissing our recruiting and our current recruits. I have been psyched about what I see as an increase in the level of recruiting. Which, JB coincidently seems to be cashing in on at a 30 wins per season clip.

You wanted one big time recruit a year. Well, what about Fab, Rak/MCW, DC2/(Grant), (Ennis/Roberson), McCollough. You've been getting it!

Any reference to Rutgers football on this board is uncalled for.

Oops - that is your 'member since' date, meant to reference your post date:
Sgt Cuse, Sunday at 12:11 PM

To your post, you should have said that in the first place, instead of pretending that we get every player we want. When you and the others stop pretending, I'll stop referring to the Rutgers FB board.

We are top 10, not the top 5 elites. Close but not quite there. Everyone knows this, so I don't see why this should ruffle your feathers. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm happy with the recruiting but definitively see a trend of our 5 stars unachieving as freshmen compared to other 5 star freshmen (again, I'm sure they themselves would be the first to agree). Anyways, things are good, be happy, there are a lot of serious bad things in the world that you should be upset about - this is not one of them. Cheers.

I'm a little confused. Are you complaining about our recruiting? Or what happens when we get a 5 star recruit? I totally agree. Our program has been complete shitt, or inability to have 5 star players be impact players is severely limitting our ability to compete. Elite eights, final fours and a few number 1 rankings has been very mundane. Can't believe we are missing on all the good players, getting all these option b 's is making this program feel very providency (eat it friarj) .

I agree, your post is confusing. But the big problem with this thread (you and others) is that instead of paying attention to what I say, and responding to that, you start fantastizing about what I think. It is quite clear that you don't know what I think.

Wow this is too funny. So let me get this straight, about ten other posters gave Sarge a "like" in the post that you mentioned. You decided to single me out and asked a question, in which I respectfully responded to with the best of my knowledge. For whatever reason you decided to respond with ignorance like I insulted you or something and list things that were wayyyy off from the points that I was making. Like I said I'm always up for a good discussion, but the things that I don't waste time on is feeding into ignorance and trolling. Whenever you want to respond to me as an adult then we can chat and I'll gladly answer any questions that you may have.

Thanks guys for correcting this guy on his foolishness and saving me the time.

Btw you asked how did you do?
View attachment 4104

I asked you to comment, because you are the best at following SU BB recruiting. I just assumed that you, more than others, understood that we don't get all our 1# choices (option As). The reason I think we didn't get some of our first choices in several cases is because of statements like these:

Vonleh was first discovered by JB and the SU staff over an year ago. He has recently stated that SU are the ones recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Vonleh has seen his stock rise in a big way over the summer and now has offers and interest from UNC, UCLA, Kansas, and Arizona among others. It's still very early in the game, but so far the SU staff has let Vonleh know that he's a must get for the future.

Posted by Dean Francis at 3:59 PM Friday, September 30, 2011

That is an option A to me: and we didn't get him.

Francis, I know you can't remember everything. You are still the best for recruiting info. I'm glad you do this, and I'll still lean on you for information. But please tell the troops that we don't always get the guy we want.

Don't do it for me, do it as a community service annoucement. Thanks much.

I asked you to comment, because you are the best at following SU BB recruiting. I just assumed that you, more than others, understood that we don't get all our 1# choices (option As). The reason I think we
Illdidn't get some of our first choices in several cases is because of statements like these:

Vonleh was first discovered by JB and the SU staff over an year ago. He has recently stated that SU are the ones recruiting him the hardest at the moment. Vonleh has seen his stock rise in a big way over the summer and now has offers and interest from UNC, UCLA, Kansas, and Arizona among others. It's still very early in the game, but so far the SU staff has let Vonleh know that he's a must get for the future.

Francis, I know you can't remember everything. You are still the best for recruiting info. I'm glad you do this, and I'll still lean on you for information. But please tell the troops that we don't always get the guy we want.

I'll chime in quick. Yes, we dont get every top recruit we want. But we are doing pretty effin good and we lack nothing in comparison to maybe UK whom can sell one anddone U to kids wanting that. Ok?

I'll chime in quick. Yes, we dont get every top recruit we want. But we are doing pretty effin good and we lack nothing in comparison to maybe UK whom can sell one anddone U to kids wanting that. Ok?

Thank you, this is progress!

I asked you to comment, because you are the best at following SU BB recruiting. I just assumed that you, more than others, understood that we don't get all our 1# choices (option As). The reason I think we didn't get some of our first choices in several cases is because of statements like these:

Recruiting is a fluid situation just because the staff is showing interest in a prospect at one point and recruiting him "the hardest" doesn't mean that things cant change. Take for instance Goodluck Okonoboh right now, a year ago many people would have said that if we wanted him we probably could have gotten a commitment from him especially since we were recruiting him for so long. No however, he looks to be more of a long shot, and from most things I have read it seems as though this past year we have cooled on him a lot and weren't recruiting the way we were last year. From what I gathered on Vonleh the situation was similar, and if he hadn't reclassified and stayed in the 2014 class we definitely would not have got him since we already have, IMO a better prospect in McCullough which could have factored in the staffs recruitment of Vonleh.

oakland- think about this for a moment..

you are advising others are focused on using what your saying to unwind what your thinking and responding accordingly. This is exactly what you are doing with the recruiting information and responding to what you think the staff is thinking regarding our primary targets. Unless your sitting down every night with JB , Hop etc you don't know the dynamics at play in our approach. So to use information collected by Francis and others and then turn that into what the staff is thinking is exactly what you think some here are doing to you. The reality is we are in play with a lot of talented kids. That often means that there are a lot of option a's that are interchangeable.

You have really spun yourself around and lost your frame of reference here. Keep it simple - we are bringing in kids and going after kids who are high talent and good fits to the system.

You did terrible. I don't see anywhere in the posts in this thread that say we got all of our option "A" guys. Wake up, your alarm is going off!! In the end, it doesn't matter if you get "A" guy or "B" guy. Our "A" guys and "B" guys are all rated in the top 100; it is what the staff does with them that counts. Too many superstars on one team can equal disaster. Case in point, look at Kentucky last year. I will take 1 or 2 "A" guys and a bunch of "B" guys with this staff any day. At least they had a "B" plan and I think you will see that this years recruits all have solid careers at SU and they will see a National Championship in their time at SU.
Can I like this post about 25 times? Sometimes things are so simple that some people just don't get it. But on the other hand sometimes it seems like the recruiting thing is steeped in double deep above top secret counter intuitive mumbo jumbo and it can all boil down to being essentially clueless while some kid like Tobias Harris holds a made for prime time ESPN special live from NY city announcement replete with props and a poorly scripted soliloquy and we don't really know where the kid is going to end up. :noidea:

No school in the country gets all of their option A's as you call it and I never implied that we do. You gave me a list of names and I broke down their recruitments to you to the best of my knowledge. In 2013 we only lost out on one player that we had a realistic chance at and that was Rysheed Jordan as I mentioned. Obviously you view Option A as one main player at certain position and everybody else after that is B, C, etc correct? The way I view who the main targets are(forget about option A, B, C stuff). Is how hard the staff goes after a recruit for example keeping constant contact throughout, attending their games/workout, scheduling campus/home visits, and when the final college decision is being made that SU is a serious contender and not just a courtesy name drop. The players that you asked about Wiggins, Randle, Johnson, and Young were either players that we hardly recruited or was just longshots to land which I had explained before.

Since you want to research this Vonleh stuff let me repeat to you again what happened. Yes they were one of the first schools to get involve with him several years ago. Something happened behind the scenes and even Vonleh stated in interviews last spring that he wasn't getting calls from SU anymore. Seems like a strange way to treat our option A huh? Anyway as I noted before, in this recruiting game coaches in some cases especially when dealing with a high profile recruit, will have to deal with shady coaches, handlers, and paranoid parents/family members. Obviously something went down after the early advances in the Vonleh recruitment that made them back off and lose interest. When he reclassified he put out feelers to SU, UNC, and Ohio St that he was interested in visiting but with his brother at IU, everybody pretty much knew that they were going to be hard to beat. SU's pursuit of him this time around was modest at because they had already landed Roberson and BJ, who they obviously valued as main options even though you may not feel that way. Yes we have lost out on guys that we have really wanted like Noel, Tobias Harris, Ant Davis, and most likely Isaiah Briscoe. Point is you asked me about 2013 and listed a bunch of names that we were never really in the mix for, and when I detailed it with facts you then decided to respond in an unnecessary immature manner and interpret things the way that you see it. If you feel a certain way about whether we land option A or B recruits then that's fine because you're entitled to your own opinion, but that doesn't mean other members on the board and myself have to agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom