Jared Verse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jared Verse

That's interesting. With our guys, it seems like it's almost always about the money. With other teams it's not. When is the last time one of our guys projected in the top three rounds stayed?
How often do top 3 round picks stay at other schools though? Verse is clearly an outlier.

How often do top 3 round picks stay at other schools though? Verse is clearly an outlier.
Not often, but Travis Etienne stayed a couple years ago. And we also had Trll leave early when he was projected late and then went undrafted. Guys can do what they want. It's just frustrating as a fan to see elite guys stay at schools that are already stacked with talent while we have trouble keeping guys that aren't sure things and we're scratching and clawing for talent and depth to keep up.

Maybe he wants to finish his degree and try to win a championship. It’s not always about the money. Honestly, what’s the difference once you’re pulling in millions?
The difference is that NFL careers are short and striking while the iron is hot makes sense. It would be different if he was projected at the back half of the draft with a chance to jump a couple rounds. The contracts change so much from round to round. Being a projected top 10-15 pick and not going is a head scratcher unless he wants to do something other than play football professionally. If he wants to do a Myron Rolle, that would be awesome.

Maybe he wants to finish his degree and try to win a championship. It’s not always about the money. Honestly, what’s the difference once you’re pulling in millions?

I never understood the thought of; once you’re making millions what’s it matter how many millions it is. I’m a teacher and a 2% contract increase gets me excited. It’s all proportional. There’s a difference between making, let’s blow it up and say, 4 mill at FSU next year vs 8-12+ mill in the NFL…. and that’s just the year to year comparison. Also it’s being conservative with the NFL $ and liberal with the NIL amount.

Maybe the consensus goes against those mocks because he was hurt for a good part of the year. Who knows.

Maybe the consensus goes against those mocks because he was hurt for a good part of the year. Who knows.

Or another angle your post made me think about. Maybe he’s still not 100% and knows he won’t be able to perform high 1st round numbers at the combine.

I never understood the thought of; once you’re making millions what’s it matter how many millions it is. I’m a teacher and a 2% contract increase gets me excited. It’s all proportional. There’s a difference between making, let’s blow it up and say, 4 mill at FSU next year vs 8-12+ mill in the NFL…. and that’s just the year to year comparison. Also it’s being conservative with the NFL $ and liberal with the NIL amount.
I think as the numbers get bigger, it allows you to prioritize other things. You can live nearly as comfortably at 20 million a year as you can at 40 million, so you can choose to prioritize other things: location, working environment, or, in the case of sports, opportunity to win. However, as you pointed out, that's not his posiiton. The financial delta here is so much bigger.

That's interesting. With our guys, it seems like it's almost always about the money. With other teams it's not. When is the last time one of our guys projected in the top three rounds stayed?
CJ Fair?

I think as the numbers get bigger, it allows you to prioritize other things. You can live nearly as comfortably at 20 million a year as you can at 40 million, so you can choose to prioritize other things: location, working environment, or, in the case of sports, opportunity to win. However, as you pointed out, that's not his posiiton. The financial delta here is so much bigger.

Exactly.

At the same time with the millions comparison. I can live comfortably in the community I’m in for X amount. I don’t need anything per se. But tell me even another 10-20% of my income wouldn’t be really nice, that’s a hard argument to make. But for some reason with athletes “we” say what’s another 5 mill to them. We don’t however make that same argument about CEO’s who get 5 million dollar bonuses. We accept that as capitalism.

I’m done….. lol.

CJ Fair?
NBA is different than NFL. 1st round NBA is akin to first 3 of NFL. Was he ever projected as a 1st round pick? Ultimately, he went undrafted.

Exactly.

At the same time with the millions comparison. I can live comfortably in the community I’m in for X amount. I don’t need anything per se. But tell me even another 10-20% of my income wouldn’t be really nice, that’s a hard argument to make. But for some reason with athletes “we” say what’s another 5 mill to them. We don’t however make that same argument about CEO’s who get 5 million dollar bonuses. We accept that as capitalism.

I’m done….. lol.
I would argue at your income level 10-20 percent means more than at the 1% or .1% income level. Milk, bread, eggs, gas, etc. is a much bigger percentage of your income and made much more affordable with 10-20 percent more. In the 8 figure range it's about how many more houses and luxury cars you can afford.

Fwiw, I say the same about the CEOs as I do the athletes.

So, of course he's deciding to play another year of college ball despite being projected as a first round pick while we lose guys projected later.
That’s a stupid idea on his part. Don’t chance throwing away your future

Sometimes in life schit happens, is it really a big deal? Also if we ran a total list of early departures for the NFL over the last 5 years my guess we would see most teams have experienced.

When was the last time anyone from any team stayed? This is a massive exception and a stupid one at that

I would argue at your income level 10-20 percent means more than at the 1% or .1% income level. Milk, bread, eggs, gas, etc. is a much bigger percentage of your income and made much more affordable with 10-20 percent more. In the 8 figure range it's about how many more houses and luxury cars you can afford.

Fwiw, I say the same about the CEOs as I do the athletes.

I do as well but that thought seems to follow political lines typically. I’ll stop there before CuseLegacy tells us to move it to the OT board :)

FSU is going to win the ACC next year. They are loaded and getting more loaded through the portal.

Sometimes in life schit happens, is it really a big deal? Also if we ran a total list of early departures for the NFL over the last 5 years my guess we would see most teams have experienced.
Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of life? No. Almost nothing discussed on this board is. Is it a big deal in the realm of college football? Yeah. Projected first rounders don't stay. However, we've seen it benefit two of our toughest opponents now twice in a short period of time.

That’s a stupid idea on his part. Don’t chance throwing away your future
I really can’t keep track anymore what we’re allowed to be taking positions on here as fans; all we heard last month was that players have the right to opt out of bowls, declare early etc and fans should not dare speak against that prerogative, and now we’re hearing they’re being stupid for staying.

Maybe some of these guys, gasp.. really enjoy the college experience.

Seems like it's always about the money when it involves players leaving SU. Sigh. Look at its core I actually think its cool what he is doing. Just sour grapes here i guess.

I really can’t keep track anymore what we’re allowed to be taking positions on here as fans; all we heard last month was that players have the right to opt out of bowls, declare early etc and fans should not dare speak against that prerogative, and now we’re hearing they’re being stupid for staying.

I’m sure he does enjoy it, and he’s free to do whatever he wants of course, but it should be universally recognized that it’s stupid to chance throwing away a secure future for one more year of college. I would say the same if someone was offered a classic professional position that guaranteed money that could pay for their future. Why would you ever not take it?

I hope nothing happens to him and he does even better next year, but there’s a reason why nearly all top players leave.

The basic idea in both types of situations are exactly the same. Preservation of as much $ as possible. In one, you don’t risk injury playing in a bowl so you don’t lose high draft status or getting drafted at all. The situation is identical for Verse. Why play a whole other season when you might he drafted 10-15 in the first round.

The basic idea in both types of situations are exactly the same. Preservation of as much $ as possible. In one, you don’t risk injury playing in a bowl so you don’t lose high draft status or getting drafted at all. The situation is identical for Verse. Why play a whole other season when you might he drafted 10-15 in the first round.
That part is consistent, but what I’m referring to is the argument that a fan has no business saying that a player shouldn’t opt out or declare early, but then turn around and say it’s stupid not to. Both sides are butting into the business of the players personal decisions.

can it possibly be more than a 1st round NFL draft choice?
The signing bonus last year for the number 10 pick was 13.6 million. For the 32nd pick it was 6.2 million.

Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of life? No. Almost nothing discussed on this board is. Is it a big deal in the realm of college football? Yeah. Projected first rounders don't stay. However, we've seen it benefit two of our toughest opponents now twice in a short period of time.
Ok. The way you phrased it saying it only happens to us just seemed a bit overstated. Sometimes it's just how it works out. Conversely it's already been established that both Tucker and Jones turned down overtures from other higher level teams and I believe turned down larger Nil. Do that count or not? Both could easily of left last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom