Jared Verse | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jared Verse

That part is consistent, but what I’m referring to is the argument that a fan has no business saying that a player shouldn’t opt out or declare early, but then turn around and say it’s stupid not to. Both sides are butting into the business of the players personal decisions.

Fair point.

Even with NIL it doesn't make sense financially. When the NFL went to the rookie contract scale, getting the clock started to get to the second contract became a factor. And if he ended up a top 10 pick as some have projected, he's looking at a signing bonus of somewhere between $10 and $25 million. There's no way he's getting that with NIL. And he could sign endorsement deals outside of his NFL contract. It just doesn't make sense financially.
Something doesn't smell right at FSU. And they pulled in all those top portal transfers.

Something doesn't smell right at FSU. And they pulled in all those top portal transfers.
I think Norvell just has some good change happening down there, Florida State for years was a pretty damn good football school and think of all the 4 and 5 stars maybe looking to transfer back home to Florida now that F State isnt in the dumps. They probably have some good Nil collective activity as well. To be honest a strong Florida State is good for Syracuse and the ACC.

Seems like it's always about the money when it involves players leaving SU. Sigh. Look at its core I actually think its cool what he is doing. Just sour grapes here i guess.
Tucker, Mikel, and Bergeron all had bigger offers and returned to SU. Duce and Carter were going to get more elsewhere and decided to jump. Heck, we don’t even know what drove Duce’s decision to leave. Nor do we know what is driving Verse’s decision to stay other than his statement about competing for a national championship. Every kid is different and many come from different types of backgrounds.

Ok. The way you phrased it saying it only happens to us just seemed a bit overstated. Sometimes it's just how it works out. Conversely it's already been established that both Tucker and Jones turned down overtures from other higher level teams and I believe turned down larger Nil. Do that count or not? Both could easily of left last year.
I never said it's only us, but it's natural to compare us to our opponents. And I wasn't talking about NIL stuff. I was talking about guys staying or leaving with regards to the draft.

I have no doubt they're getting their guys paid. In the current landscape that's to be expected. But it can't be 8 figure money, can it? Not for one guy.

I have no doubt they're getting their guys paid. In the current landscape that's to be expected. But it can't be 8 figure money, can it? Not for one guy.
I’m going to believe he truly wants to win a national title. It’s why he went to fsu. Some guys truly are driven to win. Given his back story he may be more inclined. He was the most amped up guy on their sideline at the dome this year. He seems like a big leader of the team.

It’s clearly not about money. Because any sane individual would tell him and collect a top 15 pick contract. There’s no way to rationalize this move.

The reality of them winning a national title is low which is why it really confuses the hell out of me. But maybe he’s gunning for an acc title and being part of the crew that turned things around there. Maybe he’s just wired differently.

Saw that, I don't get it.

Same w Bryce Young and Will Anderson playing in a bowl game compared to our 3 guys that tapped out
The words brotherhood and loyalty come to mind, not that I was overall upset they sat out. That was a good exhibition game to see the future and what we need to fix.

I never understood the thought of; once you’re making millions what’s it matter how many millions it is. I’m a teacher and a 2% contract increase gets me excited. It’s all proportional. There’s a difference between making, let’s blow it up and say, 4 mill at FSU next year vs 8-12+ mill in the NFL…. and that’s just the year to year comparison. Also it’s being conservative with the NFL $ and liberal with the NIL amount.
Its very easy to count other people’s money. No one seems to care that folks like Tom Hanks get $20M or more per movie. For a lot of the players, they are taking care of extended family, often to their own financial detriment.

The signing bonus last year for the number 10 pick was 13.6 million. For the 32nd pick it was 6.2 million.
Yep and maybe he is thinking he could be a top 3-5 pick and make up the discrepancy in money this year. That would be my only guess.

I never said it's only us, but it's natural to compare us to our opponents. And I wasn't talking about NIL stuff. I was talking about guys staying or leaving with regards to the draft.

Ok, fair enough. I was responding to the following comment you made. Maybe I misunderstood.

With our guys, it seems like it's almost always about the money. With other teams it's not.

We're just in the early stages of how we are redefining college athletics and college athletes. 2023 will be an interesting year with a new NCAA president, the beginning of another major shift in conference alignment, and the injection of potential legislation at the national level regarding the college athlete.

The NLRB push to define athletes as "employees" of the university will be an interesting ongoing topic that has picked of legitimacy recently. All in all, how it pans out over the next few years will fundamentally change college athletics. For better or worse is yet to be seen.

That part is consistent, but what I’m referring to is the argument that a fan has no business saying that a player shouldn’t opt out or declare early, but then turn around and say it’s stupid not to. Both sides are butting into the business of the players personal decisions.
He should have come to Syracuse. That was a wrong decision. I’m butting into a player’s personal decision. Deal.

That said, I am intrigued by this situation, and while players who chose the wrong school generally drop off my radar, it’s possible that I applaud this decision. But don’t know enough to say.

We have tons of historical data that's just never about education.

Good for him but man playing that sport that the guaranteed money.
Yeah, in the interviews I've read Verse has not mentioned "education." He has talked about "getting better" at his position - maybe he thinks he can climb to a top 5 pick which could potentially double his signing bonus (12+ million $ gain). But that's a lot of risk to assume. He has talked about all the other potential NFL draft picks at FSU who are also opting to come back. Stabbing in the dark, but that seems to be a big factor here.

Verse is projected as high as 11 currently - he could climb higher because he will likely blow up at the combine. I still have visions of him almost running down Tucker from behind. Currently, the 11th pick has a total contract value of nearly $21 million including an over 12 mil signing bonus. Guaranteed money. And that's before any endorsement deals.

He has until 1/16 to change his mind about declaring.

Ok, fair enough. I was responding to the following comment you made. Maybe I misunderstood.
I could see where that can be taken as NIL. Honestly, at the time I typed it maybe I was lumping them together. I don't remember for sure. I was mostly thinking about Trill, Trishton Jackson, Garrett Williams, Cisco, Iffy, etc. For some of them, it made total sense for them to go. For others, it was less clear. All of them were projected lower than Verse or Etienne when they decided to return. I can't remember if Kenny Pickett falls into that same group. Was he highly thought of before his last year? He had decent stats prior to that but clearly took a major step in 2021.

If is head coach had any sense he’d tell him to go but who knows
Going back to college, when you will be a 1st round draft pick is not a good idea.
All it takes is one bad play to cause an injury, and there goes all the money.
His advisors need to get their heads straight.

Going back to college, when you will be a 1st round draft pick is not a good idea.
All it takes is one bad play to cause an injury, and there goes all the money.
His advisors need to get their heads straight.

Maybe his advisors are getting some $ from FSU boosters lol

Maybe he wants to finish his degree and try to win a championship. It’s not always about the money. Honestly, what’s the difference once you’re pulling in millions?
Sure

I can’t imagine they’re matching first round guaranteed money

Not what I was saying. Had already said there’s no way he’s getting 1st round $ earlier in thread.

I think Norvell just has some good change happening down there, Florida State for years was a pretty damn good football school and think of all the 4 and 5 stars maybe looking to transfer back home to Florida now that F State isnt in the dumps. They probably have some good Nil collective activity as well. To be honest a strong Florida State is good for Syracuse and the ACC.
Ya it will be like playing against Clemson with just about every position is a 4* or 5* player. And Miami isn't to far behind either. How do we expect to compete with that. Might as well go back to Big East. Just frustrating trying to compete with that. We use to , what happen? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom