Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur Scotty... Maybe I am a little jaded by circumstances. Southern California has, I would imagine, a must higher percentage of gay/lesbian presence when compared nationally... There are whole cities like W. Hollywood and industries like TV/Film that are gay driven here...

He'll benefit from those that came out before him but he's still in for some tough times. I mean, we've come a long way as a society, I suppose, but athletes are notoriously masculine, closed-minded and, frankly, immature. In fact they were just recently re-playing the comments Jeremy Shockey made on Stern about how he'd react if a teammate came out. It's honestly absurd.

Is it weird that the most shocking part of that story for me, is that his twin brother didn't know?

I thought that too. His twin brother said he was "shocked." That speaks to how diligently he hid everything. Honestly it must suck to go through life not being able to openly be who you are. Hopefully he's an inspiration to others.

Also great to see Kobe supporting him. To each his own but if the stars support Collins, it could go a long way. An article I read discussed a shift in perception where you get more flak for being a homophobic athlete than a gay athlete. Hardaway, Culliver, etc...

An article from the LA times said that most of the responses Wallace got was negative. So whatever Wallace meant, I think it's a good sign so many people reacted against homophobia (or perceived homophobia).

I wonder how Wallace's tweet will play in Miami? Just stupid.

There could be up to 4 NFL players coming out soon.
Kerry Rhodes is rumored to be one of them. There were vacation photos of he and a mysterious man looking very happy together not long ago, and I believe the "mystery guy" actually came right out and confirmed it was a romantic getaway. Good for him, if so. No reason to hide it.

And very encouraged by Jason Collins coming out. Hopefully it'll trigger a tidal wave of acceptance.

Enjoying seeing comments on twitter and whatnot calling him the predictable names... if they came face to face with a 7'0 250 pound NBA center in person, they'd themselves.

Cowards.
Fortunately, for the most part, the people who matter most in his situation - his fellow NBA players - have almost uniformly come out in support. The support he's been getting is really pretty overwhelming, and even better than I had hoped for. Of course I have not yet looked at the Twitter trends, and I don't think I want to, because I don't want to see what the random idiots are saying.

Fortunately, for the most part, the people who matter most in his situation - his fellow NBA players - have almost uniformly come out in support. The support he's been getting is really pretty overwhelming, and even better than I had hoped for. Of course I have not yet looked at the Twitter trends, and I don't think I want to, because I don't want to see what the random idiots are saying.

100%. Ultimately the concern all along is/was the "locker room scene". We'll see what happens.

I wonder how Wallace's tweet will play in Miami? Just stupid.

I really didn't think Wallace's tweet was bad and it didn't read as homophobic to me.

I really think his tweet would have garnered far less reaction if he didn't have the "smh" in there. That tends to come off as passing judgement.

I do think this will start a trend in 3 sports. Football, I am just not sure. Especially for an offensive player who can be headhunted. The first openly gay professional football player will be one of the bravest people to ever live.

I don't think I want to, because I don't want to see what the random idiots are saying.

Fortunately, every year that goes by, a smaller and smaller percentage of the country is homophobic. Old people set in their ways die off, and this generation of children just couldn't care less and will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I think (hope) that Collins and Robbie Rogers coming out helps any gay person struggling with their sexuality and who doesn't necessarily identify with most of the out gay male celebrities or television characters.

This is a really good thing and even better is the fact that every time this happens from now on it will matter less until it truly becomes no big deal.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Waded through the ESPN comments for a few minutes. A lot of hate filled comedians there as there are on most comments sections. Pretty amazing how many people feel comfortable with the hate. I have hated people in my life for actions that had a direct impact on me, and even that got to me after a while. I can only imagine hating a whole group of people based on their sexual orientation. Hopefully enough athletes will come out in support that it will give some of the idiots out there pause. The professional athlete can reach and influence a lot of people, hopefully many are ready to use that for the positive.

Good to see all the open minded and tolerant posts on this site.

I fall into the older quadrant of board participants so I remember clearly the openly hostile derogatory comments made by my contemporaries about gays back when I was participating in team sports in high school and college. I honestly don't remember whether I joined in those bigoted exercises, but I probably did.

Great to see attitudes change as rapidly as they have, especially over the past decade.

Kudos to the younger generations.

I fall into the older quadrant of board participants so I remember clearly the openly hostile derogatory comments made by my contemporaries about gays back when I was participating in team sports in high school and college. I honestly don't remember whether I joined in those bigoted exercises, but I probably did.

Great to see attitudes change as rapidly as they have, especially over the past decade.

Yeah, this site is night and day better and more mature -- in a good way -- than many I have seen out there. This is also coming from a member of the 60+ club who said a few stupid and hurtful things in my youth.

I hate that he's going to get a lot of attention (probably his intent) and I realize I'm contributing to it, but check out Ben Shapiro's reaction on Twitter.

Yikes, did you guys see what Chris Broussard said on national TV about this?

Kudos to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online