Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Jason Collins: first openly gay athlete in US Sports history

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate that he's going to get a lot of attention (probably his intent) and I realize I'm contributing to it, but check out Ben Shapiro's reaction on Twitter.

Harvard Law must be proud.

Yikes, did you guys see what Chris Broussard said on national TV about this?

Yup. Lots of support for Collins but let's not disillusion ourselves. Old ways aren't just gonna die with the old folks. And while more of the younger generation may be open minded, a whole lot are being taught otherwise.

What do you think Broussard teaches his kids?

I hate that he's going to get a lot of attention (probably his intent) and I realize I'm contributing to it, but check out Ben Shapiro's reaction on Twitter.

I'm sure this will come out wrong, but based on his photo, I think maybe this issue hit a little close to home for Mr. Shapiro.

ec4c3133a08768370bec9cfbac35dc54.jpeg

Thanks. Just found it as well. This has got to hurt Broussard.

I hope ESPN uses this as an opportunity to can Broussard, not necessarily because of his comments, but because he literally is the least interesting person in sports broadcasting. He's like a non-funny Ben Stein.

The long and short of it is that these days unless you have grey hair it is uncool to disapprove of many things that aren't in one's own preference, including being gay. It's been that way for quite awhile too, and the Seinfeld "not that there's anything wrong with that" provides an example and commentary. I believe in following the golden rule, and respect everyone's right to live as they see fit(unlike those in the bombing thread who were filled with hatred of others perceived as"different" from them[brown skinned Muslims]), but I am not sure I think this guy deserves the Rosa Parks or Ghandi status...even if he did it 30 years ago when it would have been more difficult and definitely not "cool"(above "normal") as it will be seen by many youth now.

I long for the day when people will be noted more as individuals and not categorized so quickly with these labels. From what we've seen in recent years, this guy could run for President in a decade or so and people would likely elect him and give him a free pass on many of his issues. Either way, I'm happy for him as an individual, and with the timing before the contract expiring, it could prove a shrewd move. Being it's a day of firsts, I figured it would be ok to be the first to mention that. ;)

I really didn't think Wallace's tweet was bad and it didn't read as homophobic to me.

I really think his tweet would have garnered far less reaction if he didn't have the "smh" in there. That tends to come off as passing judgement.

I do think this will start a trend in 3 sports. Football, I am just not sure. Especially for an offensive player who can be headhunted. The first openly gay professional football player will be one of the bravest people to ever live.

I read it as Wallace looking for attention from females but who knows.

It would've been funny if Collins responded to him with "so many good looking guys in this world, no idea why you're messing around with females" or something to that extent though.

I think the common thread of response that only "only knuckle draggers" and the ignorant that disagree with the gay lifestyle is a bit ridiculous. Just because an individual disagrees, based on personal faith/biblical views does not equate to hating someone who is gay... Albeit at times some have used it as an excuse to do so, which is ridiculous on their part without any grounds to back it up. In fact, the church has done a pretty terrible job of interacting with and building relationships with the gay and lesbian community, which it really should apologize with. However, that apology and friendship/relationship does not necessarily mean that the church "agrees.". To disagree with the gay lifestyle does automatically mean ignorance and hate, at all, and it's poorly done to assume that it always does.

Kerry Rhodes is rumored to be one of them. There were vacation photos of he and a mysterious man looking very happy together not long ago, and I believe the "mystery guy" actually came right out and confirmed it was a romantic getaway. Good for him, if so. No reason to hide it.

And very encouraged by Jason Collins coming out. Hopefully it'll trigger a tidal wave of acceptance.
How will we reproduce ? How will the world population grow ?

Fortunately, every year that goes by, a smaller and smaller percentage of the country is homophobic. Old people set in their ways die off, and this generation of children just couldn't care less and will wonder what all the fuss was about.[/quotr
I think the term homophobic is over used and misused. Phobic mean fear of. Just because certain people don't agree with a certain sexual orientation ( or any other issues) or does not approve of it does that mean they are afraid of it. The fact that those people are vilified for their beliefs is disturbing to me as an American. The best answer to those who believe such is to let the evolution of society make it a non issue.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

What is kinda sad is that this is news. If it doesn't effect you, who cares how someone else wants to live their life.

I think the common thread of response that only "only knuckle draggers" and the ignorant that disagree with the gay lifestyle is a bit ridiculous. Just because an individual disagrees, based on personal faith/biblical views does not equate to hating someone who is gay... Albeit at times some have used it as an excuse to do so, which is ridiculous on their part without any grounds to back it up. In fact, the church has done a pretty terrible job of interacting with and building relationships with the gay and lesbian community, which it really should apologize with. However, that apology and friendship/relationship does not necessarily mean that the church "agrees.". To disagree with the gay lifestyle does automatically mean ignorance and hate, at all, and it's poorly done to assume that it always does.

My issue with this line of thinking is that many people of faith who "disagree" with the gay lifestyle or whatever don't have the same issues with straights who live in open rebellion with God. When adulterers and those who have premarital sex and whatnot are afforded the same vitriolic anger that gays seem to get from certain segments of the faithful, then I'll believe that there isn't bigotry and hatred there.

I can't imagine gays want approval. I think really they want to be able to walk down the street or go to school without getting harassed, job protections, and the ability to marry the consenting adult partner of their choice.

And honestly, what is there to disagree with? The only major difference in lifestyle is that the gays I know go on a lot more trips. Seriously, they're always travelling and checking into airline lounges at JFK and Newark on Facebook. It's obnoxious.

You're right of course but too many people associate the word "Church" to westboro baptist and the like. Funny thing about westboro baptist, etc. is that nothing they proclaim actually reflects the Bible or what it teaches. Romans 8 and Galatians 3 are pretty straight forward but some "churches" apperently don't read there.

I read it as Wallace looking for attention from females but who knows.

It would've been funny if Collins responded to him with "so many good looking guys in this world, no idea why you're messing around with females" or something to that extent though.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

I did, and I imagine he will either lose his job or get suspended.
So one man should lose his job over coming out with his personal views of how he lives his life, while we praise another man for coming out on how he lives his. Makes sense...

Are you asking Broussard to do the very thing many gays deal with on a day to day basis, hide his true identity and belief system as a Christian and just say the politically correct answer?

Both men should be able to choose the lifestyle they see as most beneficial to them and their loved ones. Judging one or the other gets nothing accomplished, and only caused more divide between us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom