JB absolutely killing Patterson and Kaleb in the PC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

JB absolutely killing Patterson and Kaleb in the PC

I don't see the point in being annoyed with someone going 0-2 from deep in a game. If one takes
another player's freshman stats, a shooter, and rates them over 48 shots, he's all of 13-48, kinda
close to the 8-48 JB's b-tching about. That's the same guy who went 2-12 from the three last night.
A redshirt junior ought to be able to look at his shooting and say "ok, I'm 5-6 inside the arc, 2-11
from deep, maybe I ought not to shoot this three ... awww What, here goes ... [ROCK]" Why call out
a guy who had a fairly decent game, especially after one took a little more advantage of his
defensive skills?

In general is the team playing well? No. But they won, and right now, they need wins. And as a
team, they at least need people who are somewhat competent on the offensive end to take shots.

Kev
Even at 2-12 last night, Cooney has proven himself. Don't forget, when he was a freshman, a ton of people wailed that he wasn't even a D1 player. Cooney didn't give up and is doing pretty well, if not streaky, this year. Patterson just needs to play the game Boeheim wants him to play. Good D. Drive. Pass. If he does that, he could end up with a really nice season.

LOL Brandon Reese. My favorite board moment was when a handful of posters wanted him to play over Scoop, funniest thing I ever heard on this board.

Holy crap - I forgot about that. It was more than a handful - and it was a serious debate. lol

Oh, fond memories.

Some of us knew RP couldn't play last year.

Maybe not, but I would still give him 80% of the 40 minutes available at PG. Of course, I would be playing with no PG, but I'd do it up all the same.

Understood but we are Syracuse are you tell me we can’t find guys who can score?

Agree fundamentally. BUT, there has been a decline in offensive performance every year since the 09-10 squad, which had tremendous offensive balance.

The great 2012 team, as exciting as it was, forced so many turnovers and capitalized on so many easy scoring opportunities on run outs that it helped offset poor half court offense and lack of inside scoring.

2011 and 2013 were anemic offensive teams. 2013 overcame that by peaking defensively at the right time.

The 2014 was also anemic offensively. They overcame that for 25 games before crapping out.

The truth of the matter is that we've been trending downward offensively for five straight seasons. This needs to be corrected.

Last edited:
There's a real pattern with the type of players they're recruiting.

We need more players who can score off the dribble, knock down 3s, finish in breakaways.

This. Recruitiing only players who you think will excel in the zone at the expense of other skills (shooting) can force you to choose players who lack in those other fundamental areas. It usually works out, but not always. I think being a zone only team sometimes hurts recruiting in this way by limiting the kids you consider.

Primetime? Kaleb/Patterson/BJJ are getting beasted on by scrubs from VIRGINIA TECH!

Primetime as in playing meaningful minutes in the acc, ya they did get beasted by scrubs by va tech, all the more reason why people need to relax on JB.

This. Recruitiing only players who you think will excel in the zone at the expense of other skills (shooting) can force you to choose players who lack in those other fundamental areas. It usually works out, but not always. I think being a zone only team sometimes hurts recruiting in this way by limiting the kids you consider.
I think the "Recruiting only players who you think will excel in the zone" is a myth. Flynn, Harris, Dion, Cooney, KJ2, DC2 are all non-zone recruits. I do think JB likes his long and lean forwards. JB is recruiting shooters Cooney/BJ/Malachi/Lydon. They don't all pan out.

I think JB loves a good offensive player and feels he will convert him into his D He'll gladly take a Devendorf/Flynn/Dion and try and make the D work from there. Once he gets them, JB now insists on them applying themselves on D (and even this seems somewhat new, say the last 5 years).

The truth of the matter is that we've been trending downward offensively for five straight seasons. This needs to be corrected.

This is the biggest problem.

No doubt that have been recruiting for size and length over offense (IMO). Pick heavy team that just doesn't have the bodies to set good screens or the shooters to keep them honest.

As it relates to this year's team, it is another team that can essentially only score in the paint.

I don't know if its because we aren't recruiting players with as much offensive talent or if the coaching has taken a step back (I don't know that many of our jump shooters have gotten better besides Cooney), or a combo of both. But, this is a trend and needs to be corrected.

It just seems like we don't get out and run as much as we used to do. Maybe its the result of having constant frosh and soph PG play?

I think JB loves a good offensive player and feels he will convert him into his D He'll gladly take a Devendorf/Flynn/Dion and try and make the D work from there. Once he gets them, JB now insists on them applying themselves on D (and even this seems somewhat new, say the last 5 years).

I don't know. I think at PG, he is willing to take whatever he deems is the best talent there with minimal length consideration (and I think this might be the new transition, as he seemed to get a lot of combo guards before. With Ennis and now Joseph, you are looking at more true PG's).

I think at every other position, you need to have length and be able to finish (Grant) or be able to shoot (Cooney). I truly think that is the eval process. Nearly every recruit we bring in has length and one of those attributes. It is just nearly impossible to find someone who has all 3 b/c that guy is an all-world recruit.

I mean, Cooney is a 6'4" shooting guard, I wouldn't say he wasn't a zone recruit.

I am led to believe if JB is bashing,
he isn't bashing for no reason, nor in reference to their lack of ability.
Hes bashing because he knows they have the iq but are making stupid decisions, or are not putting forth the effort. There is no reason for Patterson to shoot a open three in the first 8 seconds of the shot clock shooting 16%, or for BJ to shoot the wide open three yet. I would rather Rak force up a tough shot or they turn it over aggressively but cautiously (not out of control.)

Reguardless Ron attempted 3 bad shots and bj missed 3. Yeah that adds to 6 bad possesions. But also,Cooney shot 2-12 from outside and we were 16-29 from the free throw line rak 5-10 gbinije 6-10 and kaleb 3-6. On top of that some really stupid turnovers especially gbinije who also had 7 assists though. Tyler roberson was 3-8 but it felt like 1-6. Even Rak was only 5-12. And we weren't closing out on their shooters who were getting the perfect pass right in their breadbox for 9-18 from outside spot up shots.

Jb knows Cooney, Rak and Gbinije don't deserve criticism unless they are doing really stupid things, not after how hard they have to play with extended minutes every game. So he attacks the dumber mistakes he cold have went over 3-4 of gbinijes passes.

JB also isn't the type of coach that will sit back after winning against a basement team in a close one and just be happy. He just isn't, its not his style even as a top 8 program in america. We could all go back and watch the wake forest game as exciting as that was he was so collective and calm in the first three minutes of his presser. He comes out and his first words were monotone, well you know its sunday night.

But one can conclude VT shot 9-18 from outside and shot 42% from the field not in the mid/high 30's. Its not as bad as the rankings look with this last game. Kindof like the Wake forest game you had to want it to win this one, as we weren't overmatching them, reguardless of standings.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom