JB and a Plan ??? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB and a Plan ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question - for those who don’t want Red. What is your reasoning as to why you think he wouldn’t be a good coach ? (I have no favorite to be the next coach)
I like our assistants and they all seem like great guys, but the main concern for me is 100% zone and more ISO ball. I also prefer someone that has experience being a head coach.

I would prefer we played varying defenses so we can get different skill sets on the floor depending who we play. I’d also like to see more passing and off ball movement in our offense. What we run now is what the NBA ran in the 90’s and 2000’s.

Last edited:
I have a question - for those who don’t want Red. What is your reasoning as to why you think he wouldn’t be a good coach ? (I have no favorite to be the next coach)
For the Record like Red. I picked G because hes JBs favorite.

Having interest isn’t reason for someone having a need to know especially if the planners have a reason not to go into details yet.
So why was revealing now "we have a secret "good, iron clad plan" the Right Thing?

Agree with Mike SU02: JB will be asked continuously about the timing of this now.

Based on that, add my speculation:
JB doesn't want that Q for the next year or more therefore the "plan reveal" means he announces his retirement shortly after this season.

I'm going to have a scotch!

"Ironclad" means they already know who is going to be successor, which means that it's in-house. The hot young coach will be the next guy after that.
I thought it meant 'clad in iron'. Like (in my own mind) a suit of armor. What kind of plan that entails is beyond me. Unless Sir Galahad is the next coach.
“Secret plan to fight inflation” - Josh Lyman, West Wing.
"Secret plan to end the war"-Richard Nixon

Betcha I'm older than you...

You talk to former players and they always talk about the SU family. Why would anyone expect a non SU person getting the job? The entire staff is former SU players. I will be shocked if the next head coach is not already sitting on the bench.

Plans can change.

The University would be crazy to commit to any decisions until after Saturday's game (or after the ACCT) not to mention if we got turned down by our top 2-3 choices I'd probably prefer JB return than go further down the trough.

So why was revealing now "we have a secret "good, iron clad plan" the Right Thing?

Agree with Mike SU02: JB will be asked continuously about the timing of this now.

Based on that, add my speculation:
JB doesn't want that Q for the next year or more therefore the "plan reveal" means he announces his retirement shortly after this season.

I'm going to have a scotch!

Balvenie 14 year Caribbean Cask

Another thought, although out of left field. JB has said he doesn’t want a farewell tour. He also said today that most coaches announce after the season unlike K. Whatever the last year is, and my gut thinks it’s after the coming season, I think it’s announced shortly before our last home game that season. He may not want an all season farewell tour, but I think SU will insist on the community and SU being able to say a huge thank you.

Another thought, although out of left field. JB has said he doesn’t want a farewell tour. He also said today that most coaches announce after the season unlike K. Whatever the last year is, and my gut thinks it’s after the coming season, I think it’s announced shortly before our last home game that season. He may not want an all season farewell tour, but I think SU will insist on the community and SU being able to say a huge thank you.

That's a great idea.

Now watch the ACC have us end the season with two straight road games. :rolleyes:

You talk to former players and they always talk about the SU family. Why would anyone expect a non SU person getting the job? The entire staff is former SU players. I will be shocked if the next head coach is not already sitting on the bench.

Expecting vs wanting are two different things.

That's a great idea.

Now watch the ACC have us end the season with two straight road games. :rolleyes:

Wouldn’t put it past them. They need to make that last game vs BC at home.

Okay, been away for a couple of days but back to Cuse related things. I just read through all 7 pages. My reaction to this...

1. I'm tired of Boeheim speaking. I used to love it. It used to matter when he spoke, now it does for the wrong reasons. No reason for those comments, in my opinion.

2. This keeping it in the family stuff has gotten stale. It used to be cool when we were winning but now, who cares, I mean really. You want to keep it in the family and continue mediocrity? No thanks, I just want to win, damn it. I don't care if the grim reaper himself coached the Cuse (or Pitino) if it meant getting back to top 25 consistently.

That's a great idea.

ACC has been consistently having us play North Carolina late in the regular season.
We have played North Carolina that last Monday of the regular season 3 of the last 4 years. The other year we played UNC the Saturday before.

This will be 2 years in a row ending with Miami.

So we could see North Carolina-home finale and at Miami last game.

How about a post season (off season) event at a location that can accommodate everyone that wants to attend. Have former players return as well as any big name opposing coaches that might wish to attend and pay tribute.

I am over 50 years old and I literally can’t remember another hoops coach on the Hill. I must not have been paying attention yet when Danforth was here. I remember our elementary school principal and phys Ed teacher taking our hoops team up to the Hill and JB allowing us in to watch a practice and talk to players and get autographs during a break. I think this was an relatively open invitation for local youth basketball teams from JB and SU, I don't think we had a "special" invitation.

To me JB is SU Hoops. If he is going to be replaced he needs to be given a send off and thank you fitting of what he has given us and I’m with him that there is no reason for it to be a “farewell tour” that gives all of our opponent’s the opportunity to say goodbye….not SU fans.

Last edited:
Gard is okay. Johnny Davis is a NPoY candidate.

Wisconsin had a solid foundation and Bo did it exactly why you said.
To force Gard into that spot.

If JB went to Wildhack and wanted GMac to be his replacement they can’t jump Red.

Thus its not good for us.
Plus RF has nailed why an internal replacement is just a continuation of the status quo.
You realize that's not why Bo "retired". Also, half of the Badger fans dislike Gard a lot!

That wasn't a plan if you know the full story.
Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

It to me is obvious that on this board we have many informed / knowledgeable basketball smart people who are capable of making sound solutions in providing valuable input to the future of the Cuse basketball program. It would also serve the esteemed athletic director of SU well to take this sage advise, keeping politics and other unhelpful crap out of the selection of the new SU basketball head coach. Anyone on this board who has personal contact with the AD might consider contacting him or even demand he seek counsel of the people who have the best interest of Cuse basketball at heart, right here daily on syracusefam.com. Keep money, politics and all else that is a drag on restoring us to national top ten prominence out of the equation. The WD must have the courage listen and learn here, to follow the heart of this knowledgable board.

How about a post season (off season) event at a location that can accommodate everyone that wants to attend. Have former players return as well as any big name opposing coaches that might wish to attend and pay tribute.

I am over 50 years old and I literally can’t remember another hoops coach on the Hill. I must not have been paying attention yet when Danforth was here. I remember our elementary school principal and phys Ed teacher taking our hoops team up to the Hill and JB allowing us in to watch a practice and talk to players and get autographs during a break.

To me JB is SU Hoops. If he is going to be replaced he needs to be given a send off and thank you fitting of what he has given us and I’m with him that there is no reason for it to be a “farewell tour” that gives all of our opponent’s the opportunity to say goodbye….not SU fans.

That’s a possibility too. I just think in the dome before a game is the best venue.

Couple thoughts after reading the quotes.

1- Jim says he promised the new recruits he would coach them next year. So what is he going to tell the kids he recruits when he is about to retire? Come play for us next year when I’m no longer the coach?

2- Jim basically says he is going to retire at the end of a year like Roy Williams and not like Coach K. So if he doesn’t recruit kids because he knows he won’t be here to coach them. Does that leave us with a wasted year of recruiting? The new coach would be extremely behind and not have any incoming recruits.

3- With that said, it tells me unfortunately, it is probably an “in-house” candidate. So either Autry or Griffin. Which I am personally not a fan of. They have been our assistance during this recent slide and poor performance. They haven’t gotten it done on the recruiting front or on the court (not all there faults, but Syracuse is not a school where an assistant should be given the keys without any experience. Hop was a special circumstance).

4- If Jim thinks one of these assistant coaches are actually our future. And he respects them so much, why will he not speak to them during games? In my opinion you can’t say on one hand they are great options to be a head coach, but then not take /listen to any of their inputs during a game. That doesn’t show that you have a whole lot of faith in their ideas or opinions.

Last edited:
This seems like a well orchestrated effort by JB and JW to get the fans off their back and send a clear message. Very specific comments. Basically JB saying “we have adults running the show. It’s more than just me.” And quite honestly the fact that he did this voluntarily says a lot to me and is good by me. He’s a stubborn guy but he loves the school and program more than anything. There’s no doubt about that.

I’m a huge JW fan and trust him. If they did this together, I’m good. And it seems like cto coached Jim well on his comments. :) A+ all around.

Wait, so JB actually called into the show to announce this? Does he not think next year's recruiting class will ask the same question-i.e. if he'll be back? How is he helping recruiting by talking about a mysterious plan that he won't reveal?
He’s old - every year could be his last. It’s bad for recruiting even if he says he’s back. At this point, without a head coach in waiting, there’s always going to be negative recruiting and an issue to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom